Do you play wingers on their opposite side?

Coop

It's been very effective when I have swapped the LM and the RM with each other. But when I do it's it is more of a once in a blue moon, suprise tactic.

The player that was playing extremely well at that time in the LM position for this particular match, and wasn't the best on his right foot cut inside. That decided the game. Was a gamer winner for me. The flip side for me is if I try this too often it seriously backfires.

When I'm playing a 4-4-2, I like to have one classic touchline hugging winger, and one wrong footer cutting in. Generally that's right and left sided respectively. As a result, I usually make my left full back much more attacking, to provide width on that side, while the right full back stays back.

I've got a 4-3-3 with FR/FL and I get my wing forwards to swap positions.

I start out with a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right. They then swap during the game and as a result there is plenty of variation.

The players do tend to come inside more and also play a little more narrowly sometimes too when playing on their wrong side. They have a tendency to get into the box more.

I've got one left footer who scored 14 goals last season and 17 the season before, mostly when cutting in from the right and hitting it with his left across the 'keeper. He also provided 15 assists last season and 14 the year before, often from crosses, but also from through-balls played in from his 'wrong' side.

Worth trying this out if you have two really decent wingers. They need good dribbling, creativity, through balls, finishing and long shots to make it worthwhile in my view.

Regards,

C.

Archived