Fix Long Term Games S.I !!!

long term games on football manager are totally crap.

I took an A.C. Milan team to the year 2022, but stopped playing because the regens or newgens...(whatever) are simply not good enough.

The Board say that they are 'satisfied' with me in charge, hardly....after i won the treble three years on the bounce.

The game needs more connection from season to season, nothing achieved is ever mentioned, and other managers having a 'poor' opinion of me after becoming

one of the worlds greats is simply unrealistic.

I see that FM2010 has some new features, but isnt fixing simple and long term issues like above more important?

Agree with you on the board thing. Real life managers are considered "legendary" after two or three titles these days.

But Newgens? I find the opposite. Quality is much higher than at the beginning. I manage England in 2020 and my biggest headache is who to leave out. Next world cup I'll be picking them almost at random. FOUR world quality LBs, two amazing AMRs (both at my Newcastle side) plus a still-decent Walcott, MCs galore and probably ten STs who can do a job - although I'm a bit stuck for GKs. Italy is teeming with talent, as is Germany and Spain.

If you experienced FM08 you'll know that FM09 came on leaps and bounds. And SI say they are constantly working on newgens, so expect some changes. Whatever way they go.

I agree that the game needs more connection to the next season but I think the regens are good this version, except for the goalkeepers. 1000% improvement on FM08's regens.

other managers having a 'poor' opinion of me after becoming one of the worlds greats is simply unrealistic.

Don't you think Rafa Benitez has a poor opinion on Sir Alex?

I agree that the game needs more connection to the next season but I think the regens are good this version, except for the goalkeepers. 1000% improvement on FM08's regens.

yes, good keepers on 9.0.3 long term games are almost non-existent.

poor opinion yes, but i have never done or said anything to provoke such stupid outbursts by fellow A.I. managers....

Also why is Wayne Rooney still getting paid £130,000 per week at the age of 36?....would not happen

• Administrators

Two problems I've noticed, as I'm in 2020:

GK's not brilliant

MCs rarely have both high off the ball & positioning, but still good nonetheless.

and I struggle finding quality wingers with good off the ball as well.

Everything else is fine though.

GK's not brilliant

MCs rarely have both high off the ball & positioning, but still good nonetheless.

Lack of quality goalkeepers FTW. Can't say I had noticed the issues with MCs and wingers. And let's face it, if you can't find any quality goalkeepers then neither can the AI teams, so all's fair really.

Anyone who says they can't have a long-term game is talking out of their behind, or just moaning for moaning's sake (mmmm, that doesn't sound like this forum at all does it :rolleyes:).

I'm in 2046 and enjoying every minute of it.

GK's not brilliant

I'm in 2030 something now, and off the ball & positioning on MCs are crap. Those attributes are very very low on regens, on most MCs i've been looking at.

GKs i haven't really paid attention to, so i can't really say anything on that on my game.

I love the FM08 regens. The way they are created is different to the normal players in FM08, but they are very, very good.

I agree with the season by season bit.

Manager should build up achievement points per club depending on what he/she has achieved over their career at that club.

For example, Mr Wenger hasn't achieved much the last couple of years, and in FM, probably would've been sacked by now.

However IRL, Mr Wenger clearly has built himself a nice pool of achievement points and hence he's safe (and he has a patient boar.

Makes no sense resetting it each year, I can't imagine it'll actually save much programming efforts.

I also agree that season to season needs more connection. I always play long term games and find there is simply no continuation, however, this and the regens thing doesn't make it unplayable and I still enjoy long term games thoroughly.

I love the FM08 regens. The way they are created is different to the normal players in FM08, but they are very, very good.

I too, liked regens in 08. It seems too easy to egt a world beater in 09 and 08 presented an interesting challenge, because the regens seemed fallible and realistic.

Whilst I see your point here, you can't genuinely tell me that in 2030, or 2040 the game in real life wont be riddled with corner taking defenders.

Of course not, but the best corner takers will be the ones that practice them and they will be the ones that are good at crossing, such as wingers, full-backs and midfielders.

It's no guarantee but I think it is highly unlikely they will be prevalent. You may find one or two exceptions but that is one or two out of several thousand.

Of course not, but the best corner takers will be the ones that practice them and they will be the ones that are good at crossing, such as wingers, full-backs and midfielders.

It's no guarantee but I think it is highly unlikely they will be prevalent. You may find one or two exceptions but that is one or two out of several thousand.

Yeah, obviously I agree, I'm just saying for arguments sake. However, I'm in 2046 currently on FM08, and my best corner taker [18] is a DL. The highest corner attribute attributed to a DC is 9.

Compare them to the real players and they don't come close, some will but not nearly enough when you compare it to the starting DB and for me, the game should be trying to replicate football how it is now - not how it could be in 30 years time.

Compare them to the real players and they don't come close, some will but not nearly enough when you compare it to the starting DB and for me, the game should be trying to replicate football how it is now - not how it could be in 30 years time.

I agree, but we don't want to go back to the days when players retired they got "re spawned", so when Zidane retired you would automatically look for a young french midfielder with unbelievable stats and sign him for next to nowt.

They do need to be more comparable to the starting db but not a direct comparison I guess is what i'm trying to say.

I think what you mean is there are no regens comparable with Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo at 14-16 - i.e. capable of starting in a second division with no problems at that age, and performing. FM08 did lack these, although you would find promising youngsters (like 14-year-olds with CAs comparable with 17-year-olds).

However, in FM09, you can find 50 near-Messi or near-Ronaldo players and they will all turn out to be outrageously good.

Apart from the silly nuances I've highlighted above, I don't think there were too many balancing problems with FM08 regens. Just that the day you concede 3 is the day your Jumping 11 strikers come up against the only targetman in the world with Jumping > 18. There's only around 10 world-class centre-backs in my game with Jumping > 16 and I have 2 of them. :D

I'm in 2025 and there are shed loads of decent (outfield) regens. I run a large database and 30 odd leagues from 6 nations.

I will say however that there are simply no decent goal keepers at all.. All the top clubs including me as Juventus have rubbish goalies with poor stats..

I have got to 2032 and have only really struggled with the goal keeper issue, Akinfeev played on until 44 and was first choice even though he had poor ratings he was still performing. I then found a wonder kid keeper at 20 who is now 23 and world class so they are out there just need to be patient.

I'm happy with the regens in FM2009.

But I couldnt agree more on the board issue.

For example, Liverpool needed a manager after sacking their one - they were in 7th spot after about 15 games. When I joined the board said I wouldnt be evaluated on success in the league.

After a slightly dodgy start, we embarked on a long winning run, and ended up winning the league, and the FA cup as well to boot. Board was ecstatic, it was Liverpool's first title in 34 years. My job status was very secure.

Cue the next season, and all that was forgotton - my job status was back down to stable, I was expected to win everything, and it felt like I had no goodwill built up at all.

Its just not realistic, or satisfying.

I think what you mean is there are no regens comparable with Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo at 14-16 - i.e. capable of starting in a second division with no problems at that age, and performing. FM08 did lack these, although you would find promising youngsters (like 14-year-olds with CAs comparable with 17-year-olds).

While that is true, I wasn't referring to that. From what I saw in 08, the amount of quality (all ages) comes right down when regens begin to get involved and you really struggle to find top players. Also, physical stats and set pieces were really poor

I love playing longer FM games, or LLM because I started from the lowest league I can and aim to work up.

With regards to regens getting worse as time goes on I have to disagree, I believe it is pretty balanced between the good and bad regenerated players - my gripe is that in the games I've played almost all of the half decent regens appear in one position (for example I had one game where by 2015 the worlds best young players all played at left back)

Also I have to mention my biggest annoyance with longer games is with regard to current managers and regen managers:

- Far too many real world managers lose their jobs in the game (which is fair enough) then never go on to manage again. Mouriniho was a classic example of this in fm08, top class manager but nobody would hire him. In my case, as a Nottingham Forest fan, i've seen our latest managers Colin Calderwood and Billy Davis get the boot then retire a couple of seasons later - both managers have a decent playing and managment history but fail to regain work, when they would walk in to any job at any League 1 club.

- As a reflection of my first point, far too many regen or inexperienced managers get good jobs. I know in the real world Prem/Championship teams have been taken charge of by first time managers but it is too unrealistic for a novice manager with no playing history to get a job above conference level. Also, going back to Forest, my club recently hired a 32 year old, none-English speaking Senegalese ex player who had spent his far from glorious career in Holland. To make it worse his stats were all below 10!! This kind of thing in the game makes the realism suffer

With regards to regens getting worse as time goes on I have to disagree, I believe it is pretty balanced between the good and bad regenerated players - my gripe is that in the games I've played almost all of the half decent regens appear in one position (for example I had one game where by 2015 the worlds best young players all played at left back)

same

I'm afraid you're wrong, Neji. I should have some spare time on Sunday night, and will detail exactly why the regens in 08 are just as good as the original players. :D

Agree.

I took Perugia from Serie C into literally the best in Italy (media prediction always 1st), gave them 4 Scudetti, 3 Copa Italia, 1 ECC, 1 Europa Cup, 2 Super Cup, 4 Super Italiana; plus won olympic with brasil and WC with Italy during those 13 years time and I'm not even in favoured person list.

Then I leave for Argentina National team, and come Rafa Benitez. In his first year, he lost the scudetto race with Milan and also failed in Copa Italia, but managed to win the ECC. Bam, he is on favourite person list.

Stupid, i say.

I think the quality of regens has a lot to do with the size of the database you use. My last long term game (25+ seasons), I only had the UK & Swiss leagues loaded on a small database. When I finished the save, someone had a look at the database with the editor and it showed that there were only about 40 players above 180 PA in the game, and I had half of them in my squad. It made for a very uncompetitive save. On that size database, anyone playing long enough will get to the point where they win everything every year.

My new save, I've loaded all the leagues from all the major footballing nations on a large database (I finally have a computer capable of doing it) so hopefully this time there will be more talent to go around so the game doesn't become too easy in later years.

There were no goalkeepers with a CA or PA over 180 after 25 seasons of that save.

I will look forward to seeing that :thup:

Or maybe this explains it ;)

:D Its going to be busy. I wasn't supposed to work this weekend, which is why I planned things for Friday and Saturday. But had to work in the end. :D Finish at 5 on Sunday, so if I don't pass out from exhaustion, I'll definitely get my thoughts and views up on this.

Archived