Blowing off steam - Am I not supposed to be able to win this game?

C-Mon

Alright, so I'm facing off in the Serie A with Juventus at home against Roma. Roma is a tough team but with the home advantage I should have the upper hand et cetera. By half-time the score stands 0-1 and it would have been rather ugly had Buffon not been the guardian angel for the night. Something is obviously wrong, and I decide to take a look at what my assistant manager has to say. We're not using possession very well. Ok, I'll concentrate on fewer passes then. Roma have been vulnerable to our crosses. Check, more crosses then, and passing the ball predominantly down the flanks to do so. I also ajust the sliders and set some opposition instructions according to what Mr. Ferrara says, in addition to what I find common sense.

The end score is 0-3. I couldn't tell any difference from the first half and the second. I'm thinking "well, I've been here before, let's try to do this again". I'm not a big fan of quitting and loading after losses but I'm running this as an experiment.

Effort #2: I try to adjust my tactics according to what Ferrara said during half-time last time. The match ends 0-2, and Juventus seems unable to create chances.

Effort #3: I try using a less straight midfield with Diego and Sissoko instead of using in-form Marchisio and Melo. The match ends 0-2 yet again, but as a positive notes, more chances have been created.

Effort #4: I try roughly the same tactics, only slightly more offensively oriented, and a different team-talk. ("You can win this." instead of "For the fans.") I loose 0-2 for the third time. In the last three efforts, Roma has had one or two goals inside the 16-yard box, but have had a lot of lucky strikes outside of it.

Effort #5: Frustrated, I try an all-out attack formation with appropriate tactics. Francesco Totti scores from 35 yards, 11 seconds into the match. My team look fired up though, and for the first time they look like a threat. That is, until Pizarro scores. The match ends 1-3. Del Piero scored a consolation goal.

Effort #6: I feel like I hardly give a ****. I adapt into a weird 4-3-3 formation where Giovinco and Del Piero pull back upon attack to recieve the ball. It works suprisingly well, and despite an even game, I lead 1-0 to half-time. Alas, Roma seem to have had some sort of power injections after the break, and they score no less than two goals in the first ten minutes of the second half. (Amazing long shots by De Rossi and Cassetti, respectively.) I loose 1-3 yet again after Chiellini creates a penalty.

Effort #7: I revert to my regular tactics but I choose to give everyone slightly individual instructions. I loose 0-1. I did not deserve the win.

I'm gonna keep trying until I win, posting my efforts here in the meantime. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the **** I'm supposed to do to beat this apparently invincible team from Rome???

i had this once as brighton in the final of the league cup against arsenal.

i reaaaaal reaaaaly wanted to win, so i kept reloading the save, over the course of 3 days musta done it about 40 times, didnt win once

rather than give up i came up with a brilliant idea

created a new manager took over as arsenal, sold all thier players who would go to brighton on frees, released as many of the rest i could, and for the game, put every one in the wrong position used only youth teeazm squad and had a formation that consisted of,

GK(who made numourous forward runs)

FBL FBR

WBL WBR

CML CMR

AML AMR

and a striker in each forward corner, all set to retreat to thier corners as often as possible.

Brighton won 22-0

i was mega happy. quit arsenal the next day and delited the manager "Untitled User"

Yurgen klinsmann took over a squad of arsenal that was made up entirley of crappy youth team aembers, they went into admin eventually cos they stopped winning stuff for too long before they bought enough players.

i find this a good way to become international mamanegr of england when the time is right, create someone to take over, and delete them immediatly creating a job as england manager being available :D

save yourself some time and look up that thread from a couple of weeks ago when someone claimed he had found a match that could not be won. (AC Milan - Inter I believe)

Upload you savefile and see how others will win the match during their first try.

Seeing as it's an edited database (sortitoutsi' date=' I have added myself to the game in the Juventus U19) I doubt someone would be willing to DL a database along with a save file just to give this a shot. Besides, I think I can recall that method not working too.

created a new manager took over as arsenal, sold all thier players who would go to brighton on frees, released as many of the rest i could, and for the game, put every one in the wrong position used only youth teeazm squad and had a formation that consisted of,

Heh, sorry, but I'm afraid I won't steep that low ;)

Give this one a try: Load up the standard 4-4-2 formation bundled by SI, make no changes, and see what happens.

You're desperate, after all, right?

Sure.

Effort #8: Using a standard 4-4-2, with the formation built perfectly around the team report. All sliders are set to the middle one. Totti scores after 20 minutes, from 30 yards out. The match is more drab than the other efforts and it ends 0-1.

Effort #9: Seeing as my team seems to be struggling with stress and such, I tell them that there is no pressure on them and decide to play a slow paced passing game. The result: Roma counter-attack me to death, and despite not scoring on their counters, they score two amazing piledrivers yet again.

I'm beginning to realize that I need to stop them from shooting long. The problem is, however, that they can seemingly pass it around outside my area only using one touch, before slamming it one-touch perfectly into the top corner from x tens of yards. This is pretty much regardless of what direction the ball comes from. Now, I hate to actually ask advice since this is the first time I've met such a stumbling block in my years of playing Football Manager, but how can I best prevent them from shooting from a distance?

Seeing as it's an edited database (sortitoutsi, I have added myself to the game in the Juventus U19) I doubt someone would be willing to DL a database along with a save file just to give this a shot. Besides, I think I can recall that method not working too.

Oh, you would be surprised what people what do...

Just upload it; I'm sure somebody will give it a shot.

Have you read the other thread allready btw?

Seeing as it's an edited database (sortitoutsi, I have added myself to the game in the Juventus U19) I doubt someone would be willing to DL a database along with a save file just to give this a shot. Besides, I think I can recall that method not working too.

Heh, sorry, but I'm afraid I won't steep that low ;)

Sure.

Effort #8: Using a standard 4-4-2, with the formation built perfectly around the team report. All sliders are set to the middle one. Totti scores after 20 minutes, from 30 yards out. The match is more drab than the other efforts and it ends 0-1.

Effort #9: Seeing as my team seems to be struggling with stress and such, I tell them that there is no pressure on them and decide to play a slow paced passing game. The result: Roma counter-attack me to death, and despite not scoring on their counters, they score two amazing piledrivers yet again.

I'm beginning to realize that I need to stop them from shooting long. The problem is, however, that they can seemingly pass it around outside my area only using one touch, before slamming it one-touch perfectly into the top corner from x tens of yards. This is pretty much regardless of what direction the ball comes from. Now, I hate to actually ask advice since this is the first time I've met such a stumbling block in my years of playing Football Manager, but how can I best prevent them from shooting from a distance?

pack the midfield. play 2 dmc and 3 across the middle 1 upfront with counter attack strategy. set all midfielders to closing down with tight marking.

Well ho, I am now puzzled and confused.

Effort #10: In a "spur of the moment" thing, I decide that '**** it, I'm going on vacation' so I leave the match in the hands of Ciro Ferrara, although giving him my standardized tactics and a desired lineup to use. (Ticking the boxes on the vacation screen.)

Juventus win the match 5-1.

So apparently, me, the manager, attending football matches mean bad luck. After five minutes, Iaquinta had scored two goals, before Mexes reduced in the 20th minute. Before the half-time whistle was heard, Juventus was leading 4-1. Looking at the statistics, Juventus had half as many shots, yet about the same level of possession.

I feel compelled to try again but somehow I feel that this is a blessing from some higher entity and that I should probably run with it. Anyways, this is the morale kids: If things are going in the *******, go on vacation.

EDIT: Iaquinta also scored within twelve seconds. Almost beating Totti's uncanny effort.

May want to see what Ferrara's tactics are like on FMRTE or something to find out.

Well from what I can tell from the match statistics, the main difference is that my players where running their asses off. (Four of my players had ran more than 10 kms compared to only one of Roma's players.) Maybe this suggests that they have more faith and show more dedication towards Ciro Ferrara than towards myself?

Maybe those players simply get into more offensive positions but they track back a ton?

Which players, anyway?

Camoranesi (MR), Sissoko (DM), Giovinco (ML) and Diego (AMC). The latter I find suprising since he has been traditionally rather lazy without the ball for me.

But yeah, the midfield ran a lot.

i had this once as brighton in the final of the league cup against arsenal.

i reaaaaal reaaaaly wanted to win, so i kept reloading the save, over the course of 3 days musta done it about 40 times, didnt win once

rather than give up i came up with a brilliant idea

GK(who made numourous forward runs)

FBL FBR

WBL WBR

CML CMR

AML AMR

and a striker in each forward corner, all set to retreat to thier corners as often as possible.

Brighton won 22-0

i was mega happy. quit arsenal the next day and delited the manager "Untitled User"

Yurgen klinsmann took over a squad of arsenal that was made up entirley of crappy youth team aembers, they went into admin eventually cos they stopped winning stuff for too long before they bought enough players.

i find this a good way to become international mamanegr of england when the time is right, create someone to take over, and delete them immediatly creating a job as england manager being available :D

Where is the fun in that ?

Well from what I can tell from the match statistics, the main difference is that my players where running their asses off. (Four of my players had ran more than 10 kms compared to only one of Roma's players.) Maybe this suggests that they have more faith and show more dedication towards Ciro Ferrara than towards myself?

Maybe it's just a case that you are not very good at the team talks. Also did his tactics and team selection radically change from yours?

Camoranesi (MR), Sissoko (DM), Giovinco (ML) and Diego (AMC). The latter I find suprising since he has been traditionally rather lazy without the ball for me.

But yeah, the midfield ran a lot.

Better closing down IMO.

Also, Opposition Instructions are really important.,

Try to close down and tackle hard all of their midfielders.

If a team has a Star Player, like Totti, use a DM with pace and stamina to man mark him. Sissoko in you case.

Use the Tight Marking OI for their tall players so you'll be less likely to concede from crosses / set pieces.

And for their wide players, show onto foot so that you push them inside if they are good crossers and outside if they are good dribblers.

Surprising this as my Juventus normally walk all over Roma,we don't like them much. I never give special oppostion instructions but tend to tell one of my midfield players to play deeper than the other. My special 4-4-2 formation is doing me just fine at the moment but like all things, it needs adjusting from time to time.

Maybe it's just a case that you are not very good at the team talks. Also did his tactics and team selection radically change from yours?

Admittedly, I usually leave my teamtalk-handling to my assistant manager - mostly because I tend to thread wrong and cause the wrong reactions. And his player selection and formation was identical to the one I chose. Can't tell about the sliders and opposition instructions though, as I don't have insight on this matter.

Surprising this as my Juventus normally walk all over Roma,we don't like them much. I never give special oppostion instructions but tend to tell one of my midfield players to play deeper than the other. My special 4-4-2 formation is doing me just fine at the moment but like all things, it needs adjusting from time to time.

I have had a consistency problem since I started this game, but I think it might have something to do with the transfer update. I don't have a favourite formation, but I'm in the habit of always having wingers. Juventus' current side only has one suitable right winger (Camoranesi) and while they have a lot of possibilities on the left side, they don't have any quality ones, and I'm not willing to overthrow the rest of their quality by bringing in another one. I've been changing formations more often than I usually do, and I think that's what's causing it.

Archived