Players who are determined to stay...

Not according to the news messages:

Messi determined to stay

There haven't been any clubs willing to make an offer for Lionel Messi.

Messi's determination to see out his playing career at Barcelona is a major contributing factor to the lack of interest from other teams.

He is 28 on my game, his selling price is set at 20m Euros and there's not a single club interested. How is that possible for a player of the stature of Messi if the fact that he wants to leave or not doesn't change if a team is interested in him or not?

In before: "why sell messi" etc...

If you want to get rid of a player then do the normal thing and place him on the transfer list. With a player of messi's ability and reputation then surely many clubs will then become intersted. Then offeer him to the clubs for what ever fee you feel you can achieve or less if you want in your case. But I imagine it is the contract rejection that is the problem. Once a bid for messi is accepted then offer him an awfull contract (as his manager) part-time, £15 per week, no signing on fee etc. Hopefully he will then reject your contract offer and then accept the club(s) who have bidded for him. I used to fine players and place them in the reserves if I wanted to get rid of them, but I think on FM09 you cannot just fine somebody as the option is greyed out, I think. Hope that helps. :)

I did this recently with a player while a mate was watching, he said it was virtually cheating, then said it was a loophole that I exploited, in regards to offering a bad contract in order to increase the chance that they are sold. I never thought of it like that. What do other people think?

When placing Messi on the transfer list, say that you will accept offers of £20m or more to encourage bids. Or even less if you want to sell him that badly. But he seems to be a very loyal player and loves the Catalan, which is good in todays game (loyalty).

Offer him on a free

Thats doesn't even work sometimes, in a Bayern game I had going, Van Bommel ticked me off to no end. I try selling him with no luck, because he didn't want to leave, I offered him out for free and I still got no offers. All I managed to do was tick him off, with him claiming that I didn't value his contributions. I couldn't simply release him on a free so I did the only thing I could do....

I shipped him off to my affiliate, BSC Young Boys on a season long loan.

Archived