FM2010 new features blogs - no.15, media part 2.

I love that media handling stat for players, anything that affects the players mood is great :)

I agree, as long as it's possible to properly manage. CM has had problems for a few versions where a player would get concerned over things stupid reasons and you couldn't fix it (ie he's at like 60% fitness and you bench him, he gets ticked off even when you explain why). As long as certain things you say in the media don't get out of control, or you have the opportunity to privately address the concern, I'm happy with it!

How would these instances go?

A player with high media attribute getting praised?

A player with low media attribute getting praised?

A player with high media attribute getting criticized?

A player with low media attribute getting criticized?

I guess either way having a higher media handling attribute would be better?

Really impressed with the tunings done so far, this will without question be the best FM ever. Great work SI!

However, what i am really anxious about still is the extend to which the delivered match engine will be reliable or not from release, or whether it needs a February-patch again to appear realistic. This to me really makes the difference between success or failure from any releases past FM07.

Instead of having a media-handling stat for playing staff, couldn't you have done a little bit of additional coding and used the existing personality attributes?

I already think attributes for 'consistency' and 'big match performance' are sort of shortcut variables, where you could easily use determination, pressure handling, professionalism, temperament, etc with a bit of thought and a little extra coding.

Miles, i don't know if you can answer this but what if we buy a 16 years old player, obviously he won't play every game, we buy him so he can improve and maybe become a great player in the future .. with the new "new signings press conferences" will there be an option to tell the media that that is his purpose on the team? Because in FM0 09 i think the supporters couldn't tell the difference between a player like that and someone we bought to be a first team player.

Out of interest, can we chose which press conferences the assistant manager handles? I'm not really bothered about doing the pre/post match ones, but I would like to be able to do the player signing ones myself.

Agreed. This would be great if you could do this.:thup:

The press conference for player signing will be great, intially as repeatition will inevitably appear. However, if I sign two or three players within a couple of days of each other I would hope SI have seen sense to hold just one conference to discuss all three signings rather than have three seperate ones!

Ultimately every question will have a right answer, turning it into an automatic (and quite pointless) exercise in the long run. No one is doing them because it is fun, only to avoid having a morale penalty on the squad.

I really don't see how they add depth and playability to the series. Just because something exist in the real world it doesn't mean it translates well into a game. I guess we could decide who shares a room on the road in FM2011 with morale benefits/penalties. That's not all that far from how press conferences function in the game.

• SI Staff
Instead of having a media-handling stat for playing staff, couldn't you have done a little bit of additional coding and used the existing personality attributes?

I already think attributes for 'consistency' and 'big match performance' are sort of shortcut variables, where you could easily use determination, pressure handling, professionalism, temperament, etc with a bit of thought and a little extra coding.

That's how it works - the "media handling" stat isn't a directly researched one.

Miles, i don't know if you can answer this but what if we buy a 16 years old player, obviously he won't play every game, we buy him so he can improve and maybe become a great player in the future .. with the new "new signings press conferences" will there be an option to tell the media that that is his purpose on the team? Because in FM0 09 i think the supporters couldn't tell the difference between a player like that and someone we bought to be a first team player.

The supporters can tell the difference now.

Ultimately every question will have a right answer, turning it into an automatic (and quite pointless) exercise in the long run. No one is doing them because it is fun, only to avoid having a morale penalty on the squad.

Different questions have different affects on different players and player types. So there isn't a right, and wrong, answer.

• SI Staff
The press conference for player signing will be great, intially as repeatition will inevitably appear. However, if I sign two or three players within a couple of days of each other I would hope SI have seen sense to hold just one conference to discuss all three signings rather than have three seperate ones!

It depends on the period of time between the signings, but if they are in a couple of days, then it would be one conference, not multiple ones.

You can also decide to not hold them for signings.

Different questions have different affects on different players and player types. So there isn't a right, and wrong, answer.

Unless it is random, there is. And if it is completely random it is even worse than in FM2009.

Or are you suggesting the whole point of winning this minigame isn't to raise morale/motivation/relationsships? If not, what is the point of it?

Hey miles i think we're all in agreement that press conferences needed to be improved and i for one am so glad attention has been given to media interaction for FM2010. 500 questions should definately help break up repetition, and individual answers for every question will make it feel more realistic and relevant for sure. I cant wait for October 30th and hope it silences some of the doubters over press conferences and whether they can be incorporated into FM succesfully. good work guys fully appreciated!

Yea 500 questions is a big improvement, there must have only been what, 20 or so in FM09?

What would be good is if they released another load of new questions with the january transfer window update to keep them feeling fresh.

Hey miles i think we're all in agreement that press conferences needed to be improved and i for one am so glad attention has been given to media interaction for FM2010. 500 questions should definately help break up repetition, and individual answers for every question will make it feel more realistic and relevant for sure. I cant wait for October 30th and hope it silences some of the doubters over press conferences and whether they can be incorporated into FM succesfully. good work guys fully appreciated!

Would there be an option for the assistant to attend different types of press conferences for you?

what I mean is, I normally have my assistant automatically go to the press without asking, but with this new signings conferences I might want to go to those. So maybe a separate checkbox for that?

And sometimes when something controversial happens in match, like a penalty or sending off, I want to attend those ones sometimes to vent a bit for what its worth lol, but if the auto assistant is on, it doesn't ask you. So maybe a separate checkbox for controversial events conferences?

Unless it is random, there is. And if it is completely random it is even worse than in FM2009.

Or are you suggesting the whole point of winning this minigame isn't to raise morale/motivation/relationsships? If not, what is the point of it?

Not random, but not a simplistic 'say x' = 'result y'. That's how the team-talks logic works - it depends on the context and the personality attributes of the individual.

Not random, but not a simplistic 'say x' = 'result y'. That's how the team-talks logic works - it depends on the context and the personality attributes of the individual.

There is still a best answer for every question, no matter how it is designed. The best being the one that gives the biggest sum of motivation/reputation/morale gain for your specific team (alternatively smallest loss) assuming that is the point of the press conference mini games still.

There has to be some sort of rules regarding it and some transparency in how the rules work. If there isn't, it would be a an exercise in pure frustration doing press conferences. So what answer provides the best result will be figured out sooner rather than later.

So once again. Players will learn to pick the best answer for each question. Even if there 500 of them and personalities of your players influence the result of each answer.

Personally I hope they have toned down the effects on morale/relationships/motivation effects of it all. So you can send your assistant and even if he is an idiot, he can't do much damage. In real life press conferences are mundane affairs that have zero impact on anything (with the extremely rare exception). Hope SI strives for realism in this area.

Yea 500 questions is a big improvement, there must have only been what, 20 or so in FM09?

What would be good is if they released another load of new questions with the january transfer window update to keep them feeling fresh.

I doubt that they will because of translation issues, but I hope that they'll release a media editor that allows people to add more new questions and/or new responsed to existing questions.

Sounds like a few things have been improved a bit, but come on, you are making up that anyone actually LOVES the press conferences. I just cannot imagine that. And don't quote people from last November who said it after seeing them for the first time.

Sounds good. I am in neither camp in regards to Press Conferences. They do bore me but I don't hate them, nor do I 'love' them.

It's an area I want to get more involved in but couldn't in FM09 due to it's limited scope. Looking forward to the new version. :thup:

Archived