Job Interviews?

Hello.

My idea is a job interview before you go on and manage a club. Now, you wouldn't get this at the start of the game, but let's say you've got Leeds promoted now Bolton want you as manager, and you're interested, you'd send in you application and if they'd be interested you'd be given a interview. The questions could be varied depending on how the team are doing, ambition etc.

I feel this would be a very good feature.

Thank you.

There is already a thread like this on the boards, but just a quick comment on it been repetitve..... how many jobs do you apply for in a save game? I really doubt it would get repetitive.

That was my initial thought, and I didn't know there was another thread as it wasn't near the top, so meh.

My first thought is this would be pointless repetitive crap like press conferences. After thinking about it a bit I quite like the idea, it would give you some idea about how your career is progressing if clubs asked you to interview for vacent positions. Currently it's hard to gauge how well your career is going, you might once in a blue moon get linked to a job in the media but never get offered anything. At least if your were getting interviews you would have some idea about the "level" of management you have reached.

I quite like this idea too. It would only get repetitive if you started a new save for example. Your answers to the questions could determine if they hire you. For example, a manager with little experience may not necessarily be linked the the job but a good interview might get it. Likewise, an experienced manager might have a bad interview and not be employed when he was favourite to get the job.

Brilliant idea. Could be developed very well. Especially if others were competing for the job it could help to determine whether or not you got the new job rather than your reputation purely taking hold.

For example you could have questions on:

1. Whether you would develop youth stars.

2. After looking at the squad how much you would need to match the board's ambitions - e.g. promotion, avoiding relegation, Euro qualification etc

3. What style of football you would play - especially relevant for certain teams (Barca, Tottenham).

4. Whether you would sell any players in the current squad.

It would be great if the board SOMETIMES have an idea on how they want the team to play, what kind of formation etc.

Like if you have a job interview with Barcelona. Then they would probably demand that you will use a gung ho 4-3-3 formation and wouldn't be too happy if you play a defensive 4-4-2 formation in your debut.

yeah on the previous threads it is a brilliant idea on principle and seems like a fun thing to have in the game but would it actually add anything. from lloydey post which board wouldnt want you to win the league while playing like barcelona and bringing through the next ronaldo or messi in your youth ranks??? basically the first press conference that you have after accepting a job offer is the same idea. i think maybe for 2011 it could be an idea depending on how well the press conferences have advanced this year

i like this idea also, even if you could add a feature on top of this where if you were still at a club and in contract you get a message from the board saying another club would like to talk with you and you can accept or decline, and the other club has to pay a fee be cause you are in a contract still, and the board will let you know if they have accepted or declined the offer to talk with you.

It was more that everybody they wanted turned them down (notably Hiddink)

Absolutely. They came out and said after they appointed him that he "really impressed in the interview" because it was better than telling the truth, which was "well, we asked everyone on our shortlist and they all said no so we ended up hiring this clown instead, sorry."

:D

I like the idea, how it's implemented in the game is another matter.

Others have mentioned that it can get a little annoying as of the repeated 'Job interview' questions that you would have to answer, it would depend on how you would play the game. Or more to the point on how you would, start the game.

If you were to start the game, and immediately take control of the game then this will not take effect until your sacked or you resign, let's say your management was sublime during this period, the job interview negotions, will be fresh and a innovative way to play. So, to echo the other comments I can't see how this can be repetitive during this particalar game save.

But what if you start the game unemployed, with automatic experience loading a large size databases with as many leagues as possible. It's takes me around at least a full football season to at least to be offered a position. Go through the job interviews will get very repetitive as the sheer volume of teams I apply for and declare interest in would prolong the time it would take me to actually take charge of a team.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, but many fellow FM gamers play the game in so many varied ways implementing this into the game style of play and making it a fun way to play the game there has to be some balance some where.

On a second thought, it is actually a really great idea. How about a little twist on the idea.

Ok, the new recent announcement blogs, have some fantastic new tweaks, and awsome introductions for FM 2010. It's a minor tweak can be easily incorporated into I don't know maybe FM '11 or Fm '12.

How about when you start the game. From the begining and choose to take over from a club from the get go. So there is already this interaction and thefore some immediate history so-to-speak with the game AI, which can be referenced in game from the get go. From form of Job Interview.

In the latter years of the game save, then this will of been accumilated, and you may interact in other ways. So the interview might then be uneccassary, then can overlooked by the game mechanics.

yeah and if the interviewer got harder and harder on you as you go higher in the leagues that would make it better and more challenging. Maybe have the teams narrow it down to a shortlist after the first interview then ask you to come back for a second interview. It would be great if it was you and another manager fighting for the job.

Great idea - more realism - think of McLaren getting the England job cos he interviewed well and O'Neil didn't - be great because I think most people would only move at most, say, 5 times over a lengthy career.

Be great to see job interview questions based around what you had done so far at current/former clubs.

And would this mean we'd have to be sitting there in a suit whilst playing...I wouldn't feel right going to a job interview (even in a game) without looking me smartest (not a serious point so don't start badgering me!).

Spot on idea mate!

I think this could work when you first get a job at the start of the game, too. Difference could be that it is guarenteed you will get the job. If you were to get a news item when you get the job saying something like the following;

Good interview - 'Although some say Peter Pan is too inexperienced for this job, the Arsenal board have said that his impressive interview lead them to believe that the new manager will prove his doubters wrong.'

Bad interview - 'Despite the Arsenal board admitting that Peter Pan's interview was not the most impressive interview they've ever seen, they felt that the new manager could offer fresh ideas and decided to appoint Pan as the new manager.'

Board confidence could also change from the start this way, ifyou did well the board confidence would be higher but if you didn't do as well it would be lower.

This would give those who stay in one role a chance to use this too.

:)

I like the interview idea but I wouldn't want it to have too much of an influence on getting the job, my past experience should get me the job.

I think it could still be introduced though and be used for how your club is set up for you. For exmple, if you get offered the Barcelona job and promise great football, your job security may be a little high or you may get more transfer funds than if you wanted to play defensively.

I like the idea, how it's implemented in the game is another matter.

Others have mentioned that it can get a little annoying as of the repeated 'Job interview' questions that you would have to answer, it would depend on how you would play the game. Or more to the point on how you would, start the game.

If you were to start the game, and immediately take control of the game then this will not take effect until your sacked or you resign, let's say your management was sublime during this period, the job interview negotions, will be fresh and a innovative way to play. So, to echo the other comments I can't see how this can be repetitive during this particalar game save.

But what if you start the game unemployed, with automatic experience loading a large size databases with as many leagues as possible. It's takes me around at least a full football season to at least to be offered a position. Go through the job interviews will get very repetitive as the sheer volume of teams I apply for and declare interest in would prolong the time it would take me to actually take charge of a team.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, but many fellow FM gamers play the game in so many varied ways implementing this into the game style of play and making it a fun way to play the game there has to be some balance some where.

In fairness you would only get asked to interview for jobs they are considering you for, so even if you applied for 25 jobs over the course of a season, you might only get called in to interview for 3 or 4... so would'nt be that repetetive.

As for getting the same questions every time, well thats only if SI make it like that. Different Chairman could ask different questions depending on their personality stats. A chairman with high interference could demand that player X be made captain/in the squad should you be given the job. While a Chairman with high ambition could ask you where you see the club in 5 years if you were put in charge, and would look less favourably on a manager that says pretty much where we are now as opposed to challenging for the title. A Chairman with high resources could ask a manager what he feels the club needs to improve in order to improve, and would probably look favourably on a manager that says he thinks a new training ground and academy could turn the club around, whilst a chairman with poor resources might panic at the idea of a manager that wants to spend a couple of million pounds on a new training facility.

It would probably mean that there would be some jobs that you might have got previously that you now wouldnt have got due to conflicts with the chairmans vision, but it would also mean that there will be some jobs that you wouldnt have got that you would get due to being on the same wave length as the chairman.

In fairness you would only get asked to interview for jobs they are considering you for, so even if you applied for 25 jobs over the course of a season, you might only get called in to interview for 3 or 4... so would'nt be that repetetive.

As for getting the same questions every time, well thats only if SI make it like that. Different Chairman could ask different questions depending on their personality stats. A chairman with high interference could demand that player X be made captain/in the squad should you be given the job. While a Chairman with high ambition could ask you where you see the club in 5 years if you were put in charge, and would look less favourably on a manager that says pretty much where we are now as opposed to challenging for the title. A Chairman with high resources could ask a manager what he feels the club needs to improve in order to improve, and would probably look favourably on a manager that says he thinks a new training ground and academy could turn the club around, whilst a chairman with poor resources might panic at the idea of a manager that wants to spend a couple of million pounds on a new training facility.

It would probably mean that there would be some jobs that you might have got previously that you now wouldnt have got due to conflicts with the chairmans vision, but it would also mean that there will be some jobs that you wouldnt have got that you would get due to being on the same wave length as the chairman.

Welcome to the forums :)

To answer your great post, that would chairmen require to have a vision first.

In that case, for once different answers to the same questions could have a different impact every time. But... how can we know what to say? As the user we will probably have no indication of what we should say in that scenario to please a chairman. So it would lead us to be rejected for jobs without being able to learn for another interview elsewhere. On the other hand, if we had an indication aforehand, then it would just again be a job of giving the 'right' answers with no thinking required which would make the feature useless, repetitive, cosmetic and time-consuming only. (edit: which just leads me to thinking it might have a good chance to be introduced in that manner for FM11 :duck: )

So in either way, there is a big con against it imho.

It kind of ties in with the suggestion from a few years back about "Player Promises" when offering a potential new signing a contract.

If I remember rightly the suggestion was that a manager would be able to persuade a player who might not normaly sign for them to take a chance on the basis of a few promises.

For example as part of the contract negotiations you would have player assurances options that you could choose the ones that were appropriate:

*I intend to build my team around you

*We will soon be moving into a bigger stadium

*A new training ground is going to be built

*At the end of your career I can guarantee you a staff position at the club

*You are the first of many big name signings I will be bringing in

*I guarantee you European Football next season

*I guarantee we will be promoted this season

The players response would be dependant on the players personality of course, but a young player who might not want to leave the youth ranks of Arsenal for a league 1 club normally, could be convinced with a promise of building a team around him and guaranteeing promotion; or a big star who wouldnt dream of going to a non-champions league team, could be convinced that he is the first of many big name signings the club will make and that Europe is only one season away (similar to the promises Robiniho was probably given before signing for City). Of course the down side would be that if you didnt keep your promises the player could become unhappy at the club.

Ofcourse promises wouldnt work on every player, but it could prove the deciding factor in convincing a player you normally couldnt sign that his future is at your club, but making too many unrealistic promises to get players in could leave your clubs morale in tatters.

Welcome to the forums :)

To answer your great post, that would chairmen require to have a vision first.

In that case, for once different answers to the same questions could have a different impact every time. But... how can we know what to say? As the user we will probably have no indication of what we should say in that scenario to please a chairman. So it would lead us to be rejected for jobs without being able to learn for another interview elsewhere. On the other hand, if we had an indication aforehand, then it would just again be a job of giving the 'right' answers with no thinking required which would make the feature useless, repetitive, cosmetic and time-consuming only. (edit: which just leads me to thinking it might have a good chance to be introduced in that manner for FM11 :duck: )

So in either way, there is a big con against it imho.

Thanks, have been lurking for a while...

It would obviously need some tweaking to make it workable, however it could be a bit more "user friendly" by making the chairmans personality viewable within his profile page, this might give you an indication of what he is after in a manager, but would still require some thought on the users part... Also as I said in the other post the feature would only really come into play where you are being considered for a post and so at that point the chairman will already be pretty sure which of the candidates he wants for the job, and so if you were first choice anyway a slight difference in vision would probably be overlooked (unless there was another AI manager who did fantastically in his interview), whilst if you were the outsider for a post a real synergy with the chairmans vision would work in your favour.

So in the long run if your the chairmans favourite pre-interview and no AI has the exact same personality stats/vision for the club, you will probably still get the job as long as there are no major differences that arise in your interview, so it would mainly just help to get jobs you might not have got otherwise.

As for people learning the right answers, thats fine, except that it would affect your future relationship with your chairman if you went in complete opposites to your answers in your interview. For example if you thought your chairman was a bit "tight" with his money and told him during the interview that you wouldnt want to spend much money, this would result in your budgets being smaller and so there would be little benefit to telling too many lies in your interview as your your career in the long run will be damaged if you were'nt being truthfull to your vision for the club

An idea that has been suggested many a time before, but a good one nonetheless.

Of course, as an extention to that, you could have monthly interviews with the board as well, to discuss things they're happy/unhappy about.

Different members of the board could ask you about certain games/stuff ( :p ), and you could build relationships with different members!

E.g. one member may ask you nice questions to give you an oppourtunity to impress if they like you, whereas one may spend 5 questions on an unlucky 1-0 defeat, when that's the only one you've lost that month!

For example:

Nice Board Member: Bill, results wise, it's been an excellent month, with 4 wins, and just the solitary loss. What would you put the success down to, this month?

* Total Fluke.

* The lad have been amazing.

* I think my tactics did the trick.

* The good feeling around the club at the moment.

Nasty Member: Whilst the results have indeed been quite good, all the wins were expected, and I must raise a concern about the 1-0 defeat to Hull on the 23rd. I think we should be beating sides like Hull, especially if we want to mount a serious title challenge.

* I agree, but the result was unlucky, we had 5000000 shots to their 1 ( ;) ).

* That it true, but you must remember that we're still 8 points clear at the top, one defeat doesn't worry me.

* I totally agree, it worries me a lot.

* I disagree, I think that the team is doing very well, but may be overperforming at the moment; Hull are an excellent side, who I wouldn't really expect us to beat.

Depending on your responce, the silly 'We are satisfied that you've won every single game except one this season. However, the loss to Hull is seriously worrying the board' messages can beggar off!

Nice posts, and much better explained than the way I did. However which do you think is more likely, people looking at posts over a year old for ideas they can steal as their own, or maybe, just maybe someone else has the same idea as you, just a year after you did.

At the end of the day the more times something is suggested the more likely it is to be implemented. I have no reason to attempt to steal your ideas, not least as I said in my own post that I based it loosely on someone elses idea of player promises.

Archived