Adding new lwagues with editormay cause upset?

Well as the title says, mainly my concerns are if you create a lower league system what would prevent it to misplace teams after a couple of seasons in the game.

I mean say the 4th and 5th tear is divided in groups a, b, c, d these groups have teams sorted by territory, and that's normal, but after a season teams will get relegated and teams will get promoted but what kind of settings will apply for those teams. We will end up with (just an example) team A from Portsmouth and team B from Manchester for tier 8 in England. Which would never happen, and would be a financial nightmare for those amateur clubs.

I was very impressed with the video that came with the blog explaining how to set up new leagues. When you've done all your fiddling, you press a 'test' button and the computer goes through your work. If you made any mistake it will find it and tell you, so you can correct it before you save.

Regarding your specific example, that's like the BSS/BSN system - the games uses the town's latitude to determine north or south division. So unless you make up new places and get their co-ordinates wrong, you should be okay.

Besides, I'm sure the AI isn't aware of travelling costs. I hope not because I'll be creating a Scottish Highlands and Islands league where teams will travel hundreds of km just to turn out for 50 supporters.

I was very impressed with the video that came with the blog explaining how to set up new leagues. When you've done all your fiddling, you press a 'test' button and the computer goes through your work. If you made any mistake it will find it and tell you, so you can correct it before you save.

Regarding your specific example, that's like the BSS/BSN system - the games uses the town's latitude to determine north or south division. So unless you make up new places and get their co-ordinates wrong, you should be okay.

Besides, I'm sure the AI isn't aware of travelling costs. I hope not because I'll be creating a Scottish Highlands and Islands league where teams will travel hundreds of km just to turn out for 50 supporters.

Yes i saw the video and i can say it's very impressive no argue there and of course this feature will be the biggest so far in fm series.

I'm just simply worried that it will be enjoyable for 2 seasons at most if this occurs. Hope your right but I didn't catch the part where you set latitude or longitude :(

Yes i saw the video and i can say it's very impressive no argue there and of course this feature will be the biggest so far in fm series.

I'm just simply worried that it will be enjoyable for 2 seasons at most if this occurs. Hope your right but I didn't catch the part where you set latitude or longitude :(

The game already has the lat/long co-ordinates for every town and city in the database, so you don't need to worry. Only if you want to add towns not in the database (for example if I want to add extra towns in Cambodia), you need to remember to add accurate co-ordinates.

Anyway, I'm actually researching to set up a system with the most tiny amateurish Scottish teams so I will need to get their co-ordinates and make sure the distances are reasonable. I'm sure I'll be playing away for many many seasons - no chance or boredom at all!!

If I undertstand the OP correctly, you are worried about after a few seasons having teams which have no place being in a southern division playing there and vice versa for the north. Is that correct?

IRL this is solved with a juggling of the teams at the end of each season. For example, Redditch played in the Southern League until promotion to the second tier of the Conference, where they now play in the Northern section.

(Can't think of any other examples right now)

So as you can see, if your a borderline team, you could be moved from North to South if a blatantly Northern team comes into your tier of football.

I think (hope) the Editor will take this into account and make similar automatic moves to balance the divisions in the same tier.

If I remember correctly in the editor for FM09 you can decide what team goes where when they get to a certain level, i.e. if Torquay ever got relegated from the Conference then they'd go BSS, and if Carlisle got relegated they'd go BSN, then there are those that could go either way like say Peterborough who could probably go in either, unfortunately it would probably be a fair amount of work to do to do this, however if as someone else has already mentioned the game looks at the co-ordinates then surely it can decide for itself.

I have however seen some very interesting mixes like Braintree and Hayes & Yeading in the BSN, so it will need to be monitored.

I think the team just will go down to the division where the are free spaces if that a team from Plymouth may be in the Northern League Division 1

Like I said before - I hope this isn't the case. If this were to happen in real life, one of the northern most teams in the southern division would be moved to the North and the Plymouth team would be placed in the southern division.

I really hope this is reflected in game as otherwise in 20 years you could have a southern dominated NPL and too many Northern teams in the Ryman. Not good or realistic.

I think I saw on the video that regional leagues could have a variable amount of teams in them to ensure that you don't get teams going into the incorrect regional league.

For example if I set up a Leicestershire league I could say the minimum amount of teams is 18, and the maximum 22. Say there was 20 at the start and Hinckley got relegated into it, the league would be allowed to have 21 teams. Then if Hinckley got promoted again it'd go back down to 20.

I may be wrong, but I believe I saw that option, and that's how it'd work.

I have a question, how are the teams placed into these created leagues? Are they done automatically or do you have to do it yourself? (Im think the latter)

Well FM actually already knows which leagues unplayable teams are in from the start. Ever had an unplayable feeder? A lot of the time, FM will show you what league they are in, even if the league itself isn't in the game. Ever tried viewing an unplayable team? Tried clicking the button at the very top of the screen, which flicks between clubs in a league, or between leagues in order when you're viewing a league? That will only flick between the unplayable teams in the first team's division, so if you view any of the (what?) 1000ish unplayable English clubs you'll only ever see about 20 teams with those left/right arrow buttons. The game should be able to automatically sort the teams at the start, then every season on "Update Day" it will make sure the right teams are in the right regional divisions to keep the game rolling. If you look at, say, the wikipedia articles on the Northern Premier League, Southern Football League or Isthmian League for this season's competitions you can see at the top of each table just how much movement there is every season with teams even being transferred between leagues as well as divisions to keep things proper - FM is capable of reproducing this.

Archived