FM10 Preview

This is interesting

"The other is the 3D match engine, which has benefited from the addition of a handful of new animations but on first impressions is still a bit too basic and ugly to use. Indeed, we immediately switched back to the classic 2D game mode, although SEGA claims the 3D mode is as yet unfinished and we're promised it'll look prettier in the final game."

I thought I was in the minority in not liking the 3d engine.

Interesting, but no mention of the new tactics UI (which is revolutionary and game changing)

Hope so, or it can just be a wizard-guide for beginners with preset player-rule settings (playmaker and so on...), just like when you create a new manager profile.

Any chance someone could copy and paste it for me? Link is blocked at work..

Here you go(I letf out the screenies):

Football Manager 2010 Hands-on

The king of the dug-out returns, but is it more killer Capello than middle-of-the-road McClaren?

by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, September 14, 2009 - Come October the terraces will be alive with Football Manager fever

once more, as wannabe gaffers attempt to guide their team to the top of the table. As the latest instalment enters its final pre-season phase we were lucky enough to spend some serious hands-on time with the game.

Unlike last year, where an ultimately disappointing 3D match engine was trumpeted by a lavish TV advertising campaign, the build-up to this year's iteration has been relatively low key. Indeed, rival management sim Championship Manager has somewhat stolen FM's thunder with its innovatiative - or desperate, as some might say - pay-what-you-want pricing policy generating reems of publicity.

In contrast the fairly quiet pre-release chatter around FM10 has centred on a host of smaller improvements, the most obvious of which is the streamlined user interface that promises to be a "complete navigational overhaul". The usual side navigation bar has been replaced by a tab at the top of the screen, plus there are a handful of fresh-looking skins designed to make the usual smorgasbord of stats and info assaulting your eyes a little easier to digest.

It's all part of Sports Interactive's perpetual - and, if we're honest, so far pretty unsuccessful - mission to open out the mind-bendingly complex management franchise to new, novice users. On first viewing these new changes certainly alter the look of the game, with the pared-down skins lessening the game's unappealing spreadsheet presentation. However, at this stage we cannot really see how the navigational switch-around makes it any easier for new users to plot their way through the game, with some of FM's more confusing elements - such as the match day cycle - remaining unchanged.

One new aspect that did make a big difference to the day-to-day management experience was the 'backroom advice' feature, which enables players to call a behind-the-scenes meeting with coaching staff. Your minions will then make suggestions or observations they think will be beneficial to the club, such as 'Your players have low concentration' or 'Your squad is too old.' You're then able to either ignore or listen to their advice; if you choose the latter your coach will do his best to get your players to focus more on future matches, and so on.

It's a natural extention of last year's assistant manager feature, which we loved. Indeed, learning how to delegate is now an increasingly important part of management, although how useful the backroom advice feature will prove in the long term remains to be seen.

Another nifty new touch is the ability to scream instructions at your players during the match, our favourite barks including 'get stuck in' and 'shoot on sight'. At this time it's difficult to see exactly how much this will affect the run of play, but we assume the competency of your players and their ability to listen to instructions determines how effective your bellowing is.

Sadly, a couple of the more annoying elements from previous Football Manager games have not been addressed here, at least not in the version we've played. The first of these is your interaction with the media, which on early impressions is just as mundane and repetetive as in FM09. While regular viewers of Football Focus might argue that this reflects reality, we were hoping for something a little meatier.

The other is the 3D match engine, which has benefited from the addition of a handful of new animations but on first impressions is still a bit too basic and ugly to use. Indeed, we immediately switched back to the classic 2D game mode, although SEGA claims the 3D mode is as yet unfinished and we're promised it'll look prettier in the final game.

On early evidence there is a smattering of interesting new additions for Football Manager fans but there's nothing truly revolutionary or game-changing. Not that it's a massive problem - beneath the game's unattractive exterior remains a phenomenally powerful engine that consistently and reliably produces a frighteningly realistic approximation of the real football universe. As long as FM10 hasn't compromised on the depth, breadth and stat-heavy scope that has become the series' trademark - and that's very much the case from this early playtest - then Football Manager remains the management sim to beat.

30th October in Europe.

I believe also worldwide (minus a couple of places) via digital download.

2nd November for boxed editions in the USA via Amazon.

ok, great, but in this websitre it's write that the game in UK will be release on 2nd nov.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/football-manager-2010/ ----- under the link

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/102/1024174p1.html ----- on the right

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/025/025845/

they are wrong?

i'm talking about the boxes!!!

Interesting, but no mention of the new tactics UI (which is revolutionary and game changing) and some fairly basic gaps in the previewer's understanding of the mechanics of the game (e.g. how the shouts actually work).

Exactly what I was going to say. Surely the point of a preview is to tell you what is going to be in the game - it's pretty poor to miss the biggest change and as you say, not to understand, or research the underlying mechanics of the shouts.

"Sadly, a couple of the more annoying elements from previous Football Manager games have not been addressed here, at least not in the version we've played. The first of these is your interaction with the media, which on early impressions is just as mundane and repetitive as in FM09."

I REALY hope this is not true.

"Sadly, a couple of the more annoying elements from previous Football Manager games have not been addressed here, at least not in the version we've played. The first of these is your interaction with the media, which on early impressions is just as mundane and repetitive as in FM09."

I REALY hope this is not true.

Agreed. This is a disaster.. it was the only thing that really bothered me about FM2009

Did this reviewer get a sneak peek at a demo? Or just compile their report from screenshots and blogs? After reading it, I'm tempted to say the latter. Missing some major pieces, a very elementary understanding of some of the features (did he/she even use the "shouts"?).

Did this reviewer get a sneak peek at a demo? Or just compile their report from screenshots and blogs? After reading it, I'm tempted to say the latter. Missing some major pieces, a very elementary understanding of some of the features (did he/she even use the "shouts"?).

i think that they watch the screenshots, because they wrong the date of release...they say 2nd november hahaha

Who is this Orlando Parfitt? Does he actually get paid to write this drivel? Im sorry but that review is awful. Clearly the bloke doesn't have a damn clue about football manager and continues to push the same "i expected more from this game" feeling. I really hope this Parfitt fella is wrong and that media interaction is not still "mundane and repetitive" as he puts it.

Archived