Blog no.14 - media part 1

Very interesting, i've always wanted to see media comments have more of an impact on matchday because it doesn't seem to have had much effect previously. In FM09 i look at weak opposition players and interact with them saying "im going to target them" and so on, but it's removed from their personal status before the match came around and didn't effect their performance when they were previously "unsure of how well they'll play".

I like the new fan interaction, perhaps the player who's been dropped by the manager might be more determined to prove his manager wrong if the fans take the players side. Morale boost, confidence boost etc.

Sorry for the double post. But just want to say that im glad the media side has been improved with more and varied news.

One question. Has the press conferences before a game been improved? for example there was a lot of repetitive questions asking the same questions just worded differently as that got annoying very quickly. I want more varied questions, thanks.

Keep up the good work though, im eagerly anticipating this game more then 09.

Sorry for the double post. But just want to say that im glad the media side has been improved with more and varied news.

One question. Has the press conferences before a game been improved? for example there was a lot of repetitive questions asking the same questions just worded differently as that got annoying very quickly. I want more varied questions, thanks.

Keep up the good work though, im eagerly anticipating this game more then 09.

Bearing in mind the title of the the blog is 'media part 1' I have a feeling press conferences might be mentioned tomorrow ;)

Fans telling their opinion about squad is amazing :) Hopefully this feature will be nice [fans will express reasonable thoughts]

Realistic thing would be fans moaning about manager not playing a promising youngster.. Thinking I should give a chance or smth. Especially if there is an underperforming veteran in line-up.

Thanks, a quick question:

Is the fan feedback going to be basic.

For example, the fans will pick the player with the lowest rating from the last match and saying they didnt play well and shouldn't play next game. Or will it look into more detail such as previous form, reputation etc? I'm hoping the latter!

This is important as the fans of clubs have a massive role to play in these times of blogs - again, just look at Mirrorfootball.co.uk, who have fans of teams commenting directly through a national website about what is going on at their clubs.

Klang!

For example, the fans will pick the player with the lowest rating from the last match and saying they didnt play well and shouldn't play next game. Or will it look into more detail such as previous form, reputation etc? I'm hoping the latter!

I'm guessing it will be the latter although I would imagine the match rating would be a major indicator.

From the article:

For those who have played our previous games, you'll already know how deep we go into news and media in the game.

Really? Ive always found this to be the shallowest and most repetitive aspect of the game. Hope the improvements this year help, badly needed.

Fans telling their opinion about squad is amazing :) Hopefully this feature will be nice [fans will express reasonable thoughts]

Realistic thing would be fans moaning about manager not playing a promising youngster.. Thinking I should give a chance or smth. Especially if there is an underperforming veteran in line-up.

Why?

In general fans are wholly unrealistic.

I don't know who you support but I bet you think your manager has got favourites who are undroppable and other guys who should get more of a chance.

And you're probably wrong in your opinion. :D

Great addition!

Hum... I see that the fans interaction will be another point to the complicated of motivating the team.

I don't see what is the point of the fans, but okay, let's see if it is another press conference or not. Only the demo will tell us.

Miles, how about you making blog about the fun of the game be brought back or not?

I'm willing to bet that, like the press conferences last year, it'll be basic and (let's face it) mundane and repetitive. Then for FM11 an announcement will be made that fan feedback will be improved (while at the same time another new feature which is boring, mundane and repetitive will be announced).

I'm not moaning btw, I'm just saying what I believe will be the case.

Genuinely can't wait to sink my teeth into the improved press conferences this year :thup:

Great theme this week. I wasn't too exited about the editor, but this week I'll most likely be an avid reader :)

I love the fan feedback! It's a feature I've wanted in the game for several years. Hopefully it will be as usefull as it seems. (finding out what players the fans like, etc)

To avoid to be repetitive every pre-made answer will fall into the trap, IMO.

Solution ? The possibility to assign a vote into press conf to the best and worst match player from 2 to 10 with a certain reaction by the two players voted.

I'm willing to bet that, like the press conferences last year, it'll be basic and (let's face it) mundane and repetitive. Then for FM11 an announcement will be made that fan feedback will be improved (while at the same time another new feature which is boring, mundane and repetitive will be announced).

I'm not moaning btw, I'm just saying what I believe will be the case.

Genuinely can't wait to sink my teeth into the improved press conferences this year :thup:

Don't want to be negative but I think you're probably right. I hope I'm wrong though!

Don't want to be negative but I think you're probably right. I hope I'm wrong though!

I wasn't being negative either mate, I was just being realistic. It's rare that a new feature is added which is great from the word 'go', we shouldn't get our hopes up as it normally takes a while for SI to make said new features work properly. :)

Well guys how exactly do you suggest they improve the press conferences? It's fine saying that you'd like them improved but it would help to come up with ideas yourselves so that they can have something to think about.

Jammy - Press Conferences were criticised last year for being too robotic. Does reactions from fans have any influence in what you work on for new games?

Miles - As I've already stated, it does, yes.

However, press conferences in real life are pretty robotic too! For example, I've been asked virtually all the questions in this interview already in the last 2 weeks, so am repeating answers here. If I were to do interviews every week, I'd be asked the same questions every week. When I do my annual press tour, every press conference is pretty much the same, day in day out, and repeated every year.

That is from the FM Wiki site ( http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Q%26A_with_Miles_Jacobson ) and that is what you are up against. Judging by the quote I doubt there will be much time spent on the conferences this year.

Personally the only thing that really annoys me is being asked the exact same question 3 times in a row in an attempt to get a comment out of me, surely that is not realistic. Anyone in their right mind would have said 'next question' and forced the topic to move on. The topic might rear its head by a different journalist later on with different wording and then the manager might reiterate that he doesn't want to talk about the subject and that would be the end of it, but being told I seem unsure about it (no, I just don't want to respond to it!) again and again is pretty annoying.

Anyway, apart from that with the aid of the spacebar (regular questions) and return key (for the dropdown menu answers) and the responses always being in the exact same order, I usually zip through the press conferences pretty fast without barely having to think about them anymore. That is a good thing to me, because lets face it they are pretty boring. Perhaps some humour could be used at points to help liven them up a bit.

"Last year we introduced press conferences to game for the first time, and I'll be dealing with improvements and additions to that area in the coming days"

"One of my favourites - and I'm pretty glad this was part of the lucky dip of random picking - is that your team's supporters now comment on your team selection post match, telling you who they think has played well, or what aspect of the teams play they liked best."

Is it just me, or does this sound like the comments the pundit makes after each match in FM09, commenting on the key player and best player - tbh I've found this of no use or effect whatsoever.

Hmm... considering how much SAF/Wenger/all the other coaches listen to their fans regarding team selection, I hope the fans don't get too aggro when we ignore them too :)

Also, if a player has a high match rating, wouldn't we know if they played well or not?

Fairly sure that will be what the fans are basing it on too?

I like very much this idea.

It will be great to have more "poll" in media section.

To avoid to be repetitive every pre-made answer will fall into the trap, IMO.

Solution ? The possibility to assign a vote into press conf to the best and worst match player from 2 to 10 with a certain reaction by the two players voted.

Well guys how exactly do you suggest they improve the press conferences? It's fine saying that you'd like them improved but it would help to come up with ideas yourselves so that they can have something to think about.

That is from the FM Wiki site ( http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Q%26A_with_Miles_Jacobson ) and that is what you are up against. Judging by the quote I doubt there will be much time spent on the conferences this year.

Personally the only thing that really annoys me is being asked the exact same question 3 times in a row in an attempt to get a comment out of me, surely that is not realistic. Anyone in their right mind would have said 'next question' and forced the topic to move on. The topic might rear its head by a different journalist later on with different wording and then the manager might reiterate that he doesn't want to talk about the subject and that would be the end of it, but being told I seem unsure about it (no, I just don't want to respond to it!) again and again is pretty annoying.

Anyway, apart from that with the aid of the spacebar (regular questions) and return key (for the dropdown menu answers) and the responses always being in the exact same order, I usually zip through the press conferences pretty fast without barely having to think about them anymore. That is a good thing to me, because lets face it they are pretty boring. Perhaps some humour could be used at points to help liven them up a bit.

All of which lead me to the following thought, in CM10 there is some option for eccentric team talk comments, cannot see what that actually achieved but in FM10 (or realistically FM11) maybe when setting the manager profile the personality could have a few flavours to select 1 from, eg. Eccentric, witty, stern etc. The text for the responses in media related replies would be toned to suit, it would only mean maybe 5 or 6 different sets of comments which I am sure is not beyond the game mechanics/database.

EG.

Q. How do you feel about todays defeat.

A. Im not happy.

A1-eccentric=Can you see me laughing?

A2-witty=happiness is a state of mind, which right now I don't mind for!

A3-Stern=Im not happy, next question

etc

Why?

In general fans are wholly unrealistic.

I don't know who you support but I bet you think your manager has got favourites who are undroppable and other guys who should get more of a chance.

And you're probably wrong in your opinion. :D

Great addition!

Yeah like Rafa and his lover boy Lucas. However that case I think I'm right.

All of which lead me to the following thought, in CM10 there is some option for eccentric team talk comments, cannot see what that actually achieved but in FM10 (or realistically FM11) maybe when setting the manager profile the personality could have a few flavours to select 1 from, eg. Eccentric, witty, stern etc. The text for the responses in media related replies would be toned to suit, it would only mean maybe 5 or 6 different sets of comments which I am sure is not beyond the game mechanics/database.

EG.

Q. How do you feel about todays defeat.

A. Im not happy.

A1-eccentric=Can you see me laughing?

A2-witty=happiness is a state of mind, which right now I don't mind for!

A3-Stern=Im not happy, next question

etc

Nice idea, I like it a lot :thup:

Maybe you don't even need to set anything in your profile, but depending on how you decide to answer questions sways you towards one of these personality types, which in turn leads to you being asked questions that are specifically suited to it. People will have no idea about your personality when you first start your career anyway, and it allows your personality to change over the years if say you become bitter about everything.

• SI Staff
Miles,

Will be news in a separate area from the email ( I suppose yes )

So is it possible that whenever you press "to next days", you see first this newspaper pages coming first in front of you ?

Thanks.

Yes - you can set that up via the ridiculously currently named and will hopefully be changed "go to screens" settings.

You'll be taken there a couple of times a week anyway by default, as long as you've got news to see.

Three things I would like:

1. If I go three goals down and launch an amazing comeback to win the game 4-3, I don't want the match report to read 'quality of posession provides victory' or something like that. 'FC Koln launch stunning comeback' or something would surely be better.

2. Unrelated to this but I still like it - is it possible to fall out with players as a national manager? I'd like to see some Kris Boyd/Stephen Ireland situations.

3. Use of the cliche "a free header!" in the commentary. This has been missing for far too long and it doesn't seem like a football game without it.

Archived