Buying youth/fringe players

Broon

Just wondering if this is something that will be improved on in FM2010...

When you buy a player for cover or a young player that you only want to play 10-15 over the course of a season, will the fans expectations be lowered?

At the moment, players like this damage your fans confidence.

Anyone else feel the same way and anyone know if this has been getting looked into?

Yeh, that seems to be something that's missing.

While you can tell the player he's a great prospect/rotation player, the fans seem to treat all of them as key players and get upset if they don't perform (or play).

Would be go to be able to host a press conference for each signing (which happens IRL), and talk through you expectations for this player.

I think press conferences for each and every signing you make would be good, telling of what your plans for him are, how often he will play, what he will add to your squad, etc.

But yeh, for youth and backup players, fans whine because I don't play them even they they weren't bough to be played week in week out.

sorry i think the manager should the tell the player in his office i am surprised fm programmers dont manager's office option where the manager tell the new or potential signing where he will playing etc and where they are starting or bench material or reserve material

i am not willing do several press conferences about where a player will be playing when i intend buy crap loads of players. a player should be told where they are playing etc by the manager and not in the press conference area.

As for most top flight clubs their players wont want the press to find out whether they are coming for rotation or first team action or bench as their main hope will be play straight away in main team and hold the place.

sorry i think the manager should the tell the player in his office i am surprised fm programmers dont manager's office option where the manager tell the new or potential signing where he will playing etc and where they are starting or bench material or reserve material

i am not willing do several press conferences about where a player will be playing when i intend buy crap loads of players. a player should be told where they are playing etc by the manager and not in the press conference area.

As for most top flight clubs their players wont want the press to find out whether they are coming for rotation or first team action or bench as their main hope will be play straight away in main team and hold the place.

You're wrong. Many people would enjoy describing their new signings and getting off on a good or even bad foot with them. It also adds realism.

A press conference for each signing seems a bit overboard, I haven't seen any club having a press conference when they are signing a 16,17 or 18 year old player that they plan to develop in the youth or reserve team for some years. But a press conference when signing a player of any age for the first team squad is another case. That is a good suggestion.

This is one of my few (major) critisms of the game as it currently stands. I often have LOTS of scouts and sign quite a number of youth players (16 or younger) - this can be upwards of 10 players a year - and their total cost is probably £1-2M - compared to 10-20M per player in the first team.

So, if I sign 11 players in a transfer window, one senior player and 10 youth players (With the senior player being worth 10x the combined value of the youth players) all of a sudden everyone is upset with me and my transfer policy.

Makes absolutely no sense what so ever. There should be something hard coded which says 'ignore if under the age of 20' and 'ignore if signed for significantly less than the average value of the current team'

Would make things a lot more realistic IMO.

I think a press conference for big name players would be very boring quickly!

A method would be that in your press conferences you could be asked about recent players you have signed! If you buy a big name player you should have a press conference and the player can also be involved at the conference. Makes it more realistic, for example if you buy a player for big money who has a big reputation, then there will be a press conference scheduled to unveil him!

It's not that easy...

I mean, if you sign, say, Fabregas or Zlatan, it's pretty straightforward he has been brought in to be a vital part of the team, so the presentation/press conference would be boring and pretty useless...

On the other hand, who cares if 16yo John Doe has been signed for £ 10k from Altrincham?

The main issue I have is with "everything inbetween the Superstar and the Youngster".

Basically if you have enough reputation (and cash) you can sign ANY player you may want by promising him a first team role, or even a rotation one.

The problem is: you can just play so many players, and some will inevitably be upset etc.

We need a better "promise" system than "First Team" "Rotation" and "Backup". Also, players should be worried by too much competition for that role BEFORE signing...

I'm tired of having my 6th central defender complaining because he wants to play first team football... I picked him on free transfers when I already had at least 3 DC better than him, so what does he want now?!

Some sort of interface where we can talk to the player during the contract offer, like "I can give you ___ first team appearences, a first team place in domestic cup, some sparse European appearence" or "you'll play only when there's noone else left" or "you're a prospect, don't expect too much action until __"

And that should reflect on board and fans' expectations.

Archived