Debut's to remember

Here's the story. Jaume Dominguez, spanish striker who I'd previous signed on a free from Valencia but I later sold to Spurs for £11million as I didnt think had much potential. Three seasons later and hes in the Spain team and looks absolutely amazing. I want to get him back to replace the ageing Henri Saivet but am forced to pay £26million for him after tapping him up. So first game, home to Birmingham in an FA Cup third round draw. I give Dominguez his debut.

026.png

027.png

Anyone had such a good debut before?

My recent signing Wolfgang Thurnbichler (regen) scored a hat-trick on his debut for my Lazio team against Torino after enduring a poor pre-season. He was a sub as well, and didn't finish the game as he later got injured.

not a stunning debut, but there's certainly a couple i remember...

one, an aging Kris Boyd signed for my Birmingham side. scored within the first five minutes, set up a goal before half time, hit the post TWICE, picked up a knock and then got himself sent off before i could sub him.

two, another sending off. this time a regen, Chris Brown, that had come through my own youth team. i finally gave him a debut in a meaningless end of the season match (i'd already won the SPL title before the split). he got sent off after five minutes. he actually went on to be a star for my Celtic side, and i eventually sold him to Arsenal for just shy of £30m a few season later, but you wouldn't have guessed it after that start!

Im playing a '99/00' edit of the game for FM08 (which is bloody awesome!). I signed a 16 year old Torres for £2M. Threw him on the day after I bought him for the last 15 minutes of the game and he got a hatrick.

Me thinks this is going to be a good purchase.

(PS - he doesnt have uber stats - he just has the stats of an average 16 year old - im assuming hes got lots of potential...)

On FM 2008 I signed a Bolivian regen named Oscar Acre for 3k for my Aston Villa side, on his debut, (from central midfield) he scored three, against Liverpool, at Anfield! I lost 5-3!

I had him for two seasons before I sold him for 26m to none other then Liverpool!

SimmonMC, surley your attribute for Judging Players Potential would be 3 :p :P

I think so, but I blame my assistant. He gave him a potential of 3 stars which is just a good premiership striker.

I rememeber Johnathan Woodgate's debut for Real Madrid where he scored an own goal and got sent off! :D

Oh, I have some nice experiences with debuts of players of mine... I tend to manage teams in the Dutch Eredivisie, so I usually pick up Dutch prospects. They're all regens, mind you. :)

Sjaak Rutten (Dutch)

This one was a note worthy one. Sjaak Rutten was a great talent at the Dutch team, ADO Den Haag, who was probably going to relegate that season. It was his first year at the team and one of my scouts 'accidentally' saw him playing a match and finally notifying me about his great talents.

When we reached the end of the season, many players of ADO got injured. Especially their strikers and wingers. Well, Sjaak Rutten is a natural striker, but can also play on the wings, although he isn't half as good on the flanks.

Finally, because of a lack of players, ADO decided to let Rutten debut. In his first match, he scored a hattrick against a stronger opponent (although I guess if you're fighting for relegation, anything is a 'stronger opponent') and although ADO lost that game (3-4), they showed quite a fight. When the season came to an end, Rutten played two more games as a sub. He scored once during those two games, racking it up till four goals on his first season. That was reason enough for me to sign him.

Since I sold my number one winger the next season, I was confident in Sjaak Rutten's ability. Not as my main striker, that was filled by two class strikers. He was supposed to be my new winger... but man, oh man, I can't name many players that played that bad in his first match. I left him there for a number of matches, but he hardly ever scored anything higher than a six and never made an assist or scored.

He ended up being a sub that was rarely used, until four seasons later where he finally made some impressive assists combined with goals. Yet he still is not among my first team players, he is definitely closer than when he was still 17.

Yeah, Rutten was a player I had very high hopes for, but he only brought my disappointment.

Onno Akkermans (Dutch)

When he came through the youth ranks of FC Omniworld, a weaker Dutch side, I didn't really notice him. I guess they didn't either at Omniworld, since he only played two games. With a 5.80 on average, he was far from impressive.

The second season he was taken in by a free transfer by RKC Waalwijk, yet another somewhat weaker Dutch side. But because they were just promoted to the highest league of Holland, I noticed him. He was a young, talented central defender with some potential. But because I already had Jos de Wit (see next player) and three other very, very talented players, I decided not to sign him. Despite that he was still very, very young and already a decent player.

After playing 27 games for RKC and scoring an average of 6.58, he was transferred for 600.000 to 'the number 7', NEC, that finished with Onno Akkermans in their team on the second place. Not only causing me to miss Champions League football, but also classfully defeating me... quite easily, too. But despite being a very good team, they - for some reason - had to sell Akkermans who was, again, unhappy, just like he was at RKC.

I decided to sign Akkermans for an even cheaper price than NEC did. For 100K less, I signed Onno Akkermans and I sold one of my somewhat older central defenders. I intended to see who would develop faster: The very talented Jos de Wit, that unfortunately didn't play half as much as Akkermans; or the extremely ambitious Akkermans that easily seemed to impress at any club so far.

Akkermans only made one appearance for my side, being very disappointing too by picking up a red card almost as soon as he was subbed in. I was pleased when Zenit, Russian champions, offered me 1,5M and a high percentage of the next sale. He was sold immediately since De Wit became a very impressive player (and later a Wonderkid).

Yet another very disappointing debut.

That wasn't the end of Akkermans though. After impressing, yet again, at Zenit, he was sold the next season by Greek champions, Panathinaikos for 3M. He made some very impressive appearances in Greece and was sold the next season, for 5.5M to Dutch side, Ajax. I haven't continued since, but since he is playing quite well, he is being followed by European greats such as Inter, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Jos de Wit (Dutch)

Jos de Wit was a talented central defender I loaned because the transfer market was closing and I couldn't find any young talented defender. When I loaned de Wit, I learned of a number of other talented defenders, of which I signed one (and later Akkermans and selling an other).

I was careful with de Wit. Sure, he had some good stats and played well in the reserves, but playing in the Dutch Eredivisie of European Champions League was a completely different matter for a youngster.

That didn't stop him from making his debut in the Champions League. My two main central defenders both got a long term injury around January, causing Jos de Wit and my other central defender (who I cannot even recall, but was a regen too) to step up.

For an incredible number of games - for inexperienced defenders - I took no goal against me. My goalkeeper was pleased to keep a clean sheet and I won some tough games. Eventually it was Chelsea that showed my defenders pure class and finally scored... and again... and yet again... and then the final one, finishing me with 4-1.

Jos de Wit finally became my third choice, only because the two defenders before him are even better.

Mohammed Amine Diffalah (Algerian)

I never had good experiences with Algerians. They usually seemed to fail at my place; I really don't know why. Bad luck, probably.

Diffalah was different in every way. Purely coincidental I saw a rival team of mine declaring their interest in him and I send a scout after him since he had some impressive stats for a pure striker. High finishing, very high composure, an 18 for acceleration and a fair pace. A good technique and a 17 for flair... and only 21 years old. Yet the only 20 he had was for 'Off the Ball.' Arguably purely in stats my best striker ever.

Since he was a on free transfer I picked him up. In his first game, he scored six (!) times against a team stronger than me and got me Champions League for the first time with this team. The very first Algerian player that had success under me.

Gintaras Pinkevicius (Lithuanian)

Gintaras is in my books the best regen I ever had, although he was from a few games ago. I thought it was impossible to score fifty goals in one season (34 games, excluding European matches), but one of my former players once did, by scoring 51. That was a Japanese regen and the best player I ever had. Pinkevicius came in the next Football Manager as a regen and took over his title, by scoring 54 times in merely one season.

I have a screenshot of him when he carreer only just started and he was showing immense class. Unfortunately I have no proof (anymore) of his impressive performances.

His debut match was one I have a hard time forgetting. He came off the bench to replace my injured veteran striker. He decided to score twice in a space of five minutes before picking up a red card. Yep, definitely my best player ever.

Nice Essay ^^^

id just signed sergio augero for 38m.. the next day we gad a game but didnt start him.. brought him on as a sub in the 86th min.. 87th double broken leg.. out for 2yrs the worst debut ever.. what a waste of 38m

2 years :eek: ... :D

On the last day of the league season, I gave a debut to one of my youngsters, a regen. He scored and grabbed 3 assists against Napoli (or was it a hat-trick and 1 assist? I forgot which). Man of the match, obviously.

A few years later and he's bumbling along at Córdoba CF. He's made 200 league appearances in his career and around 120 of those have been on loan - 80 league appearances for Atalanta and Córdoba CF in 10 seasons! I don't know why he bothers playing football nowadays - he's lived on this amazing debut for a long, long time.

Archived