Worst red-card ever

To put it quite basically I do have some experience as a referee and in game a red card was given to my keeper for 'deliberate handling of the ball denying a goal-scoring oppourtunity.' He did handle outside the penalty box yes, however the ball was most definatly not heading for the goal. An opposition player had attemped a cross but it went long across the box and my keeper picked it up on the other side. There was not a single player within 30m of him and therefore there is absolutly no way whatsoever that he could have been denying a goal oppourtunity and should have only received a caution.

My appeal failed, so i'm wondering whether anyone has actually had an appeal given in this game.

FYI the only time you'll have a red card rescinded is if the next game is a final.

And OP is right, this needs to be fixed because it's a mistake in the game rules. If players were receiving red cards for being offside we'd kick up a huge fuss about it but for some reason this bug seems to keep slipping in to FM without much attention

if you din't realise it atculy is a sending off affence for a keeper to handle the ball outside of the box no matter if there was a chance of a goal being scored

only if dening a goal-scoring oppourtunity, otherwise it should only be a caution for deliberate and blatant handling of the ball.

To put it quite basically I do have some experience as a referee and in game a red card was given to my keeper for 'deliberate handling of the ball denying a goal-scoring oppourtunity.' He did handle outside the penalty box yes, however the ball was most definatly not heading for the goal. An opposition player had attemped a cross but it went long across the box and my keeper picked it up on the other side. There was not a single player within 30m of him and therefore there is absolutly no way whatsoever that he could have been denying a goal oppourtunity and should have only received a caution.

My appeal failed, so i'm wondering whether anyone has actually had an appeal given in this game.

If the attacking team had possession of the ball and launched a cross, and the goalkeeper handled the ensuing ball outside the area, then this should be a red card. The position of the attacking players relative to the goalkeeper does not matter if the ball is loose within range of goal. If an attempted cross goes wanting, the loose ball is still an opportunity for the attacking team to score a goal.

This is the same reasoning for red cards when non-goalkeepers handle the ball deliberately inside the box. An opposing player does not have to be bearing down on goal or ready to strike the ball for a red card to be given to a defender who has deliberately handled the ball in the box. I've seen plenty of red cards for this, even when the defender was just trying to control a loose ball and did not necessarily have an opposing player right on the ball.

Granted, 30 meters distance from an attacker might be a bit extreme in your case, but as a goalkeeper myself, my working assumption is always that I will be sent off if I handle the ball outside the area. So I don't give referees any chance to make that call.

Archived