2 Computer Spec Questions - 1 about Graphics cards and 1 about Operating Spec

I'm hoping someone from the community or SI can help with 2 questions:

1 - I saw on the "Wishlist" thread pre the new games announcement a conversation between (i think) Miles and other people about FM10 being made for 32 bit rather than (or not as well as) 64 bit. I am in the process of getting a new PC (not solely for FM2010 but it certainly makes me more keen!!!) and all the operating programmes are 64 bit. I'm told that all this means is that if FM10 is 32 bit then it will simply fail to use all the processing power rather than not work at all however:

a) Can someone tell me if thats correct? and b) whether or not FM2010 will be for 32 bit or 64 bit machines?

2 - I just wanted to know whether for FM2010 there is much value in me upgrading the graphics card on the new machine? It comes with 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT220 graphics card as standard; the Single 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 Graphics Card is £50 and the Single 1.8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 Graphics Card is £150.

Given that the one it comes with is separate (so not using the mother board which I am told is good) will the other 2 improve the PC much for the money? FM and the BBC I Player is about as graphic hungry as the pc is likely to be.

thanks in advance

FM will work fine on either 32 or 64 bit systems. Since we don't know the specs yet for fm2010 its hard to say about the graphics card but to be honest I think 1gb should be more than enough for just about any game currently available.

What is the processor and ram like on the computer you are considering. The more ram and the fastest processor you can afford will be better for fm than the actual operating system I think.

trekman is right, faster processor and more RAM is what you should be looking for.

FM might not be made for a 64 but, 64 bit windows allows you to use more than the 3.2 (not sure about the .2) GB of RAM allowed in the 32 bit system. So I'd go with the 64.

I'll tell you what. I have an old Nvidia 7900 GS which runs games that are a lot more graphically demanding than FM perfectly fine and yours is better then mine.

Make sure you build this yourself or alternatively you can order parts and have a comp shop put it together. It'll be much cheaper than buying a pre-built system.

That's cool then; I'd already upgraded the ram to 6144MB DDR3 Tri Channel and the Processer is an Intel® Core™ i7 Processor (2.66GHz) both of which should be more than enough to run FM2010. It was just that I have no idea about the graphics card in modern PC's

That's cool then; I'd already upgraded the ram to 6144MB DDR3 Tri Channel and the Processer is an Intel® Core™ i7 Processor (2.66GHz) both of which should be more than enough to run FM2010. It was just that I have no idea about the graphics card in modern PC's

I wouldn't change anything on that system. FM and anything else you can install on it should be sensational on it. No need to upgrade for some considerable time to come I would have thought.

Archived