Selling a 26-year old DM/CD

Hi,

Juventus is offering me over list for one of my key guys - a 26-year old CD/DM "worth" 11 milion (offering 13 mill+).

I just picked up a 19 year old who definitely has the potential to get up to this guys level, if not better. Both are Argentinian, and my game plan was to have one tutor the other and then put the 27 year old (next year) out to pasture. He's signed for 3 years. My question is, does value start plumetting after 26 or 27? I'm worried that selling him too soon can upset my defence, which is currently very stingy and performing well.

I have the sinking suspicion that the AI is setting me up for a disaster as the offer from Juventus came in as soon as the transfer of my 19 year old went through. I smell a career ending injury to my 13 million dollar man next week if I turn this down.....

My DM/CM just won world player of the year at 29 years old and between the ages of 26 and his current age he has played his best football ever. If he is a key player for you then I would keep him, at Barcelona Xavi was still putting in top class performances for me at the age of 33 but he could not play 2 games a week and could only last 80 minutes when he did play. I kept him around because he still played awesome. Every player is different I wouldn't sell him until his performances start to dip, a lot of people ship players out once they hit 30 but I find it a benefit to have a few older players around. Also £13 million isn't that much for one of your star players.

I am very much an Arsene Wenger style coach and enjoy a team with a low average age. As such I am always inclined to sell players once they reach a certain age and I receive a decent fee for them. This may not fit your ethos but I beleive it will be to the greater good of the team to sell - especially as you have an upcoming youngster to seamlessly fill his position.

Archived