Unsporting behaviour in FM

In past 10 (or something like that) games in my last Ajax season I've spotted at least 2 occasions that raised my eyebrows for a moment.

1) My attack. Opponent defender heads ball clear from their area, but their defender gets injury and stays on the ground just in front of the goal. Gabri gets ball passes to Enoh right next to lying defender (no offside because injured man) and Enoh calmly solves 1-1 situation with keeper. Goal.

2) Similar situation. Opponent defender is lying at the edge of area, but my attack continues, Cvitanich gets a pass to area (area that should be covered by injured defender), dribbles past lying man and scores a goal before other defenders are able to reach him.

If I start to think about it, I've never seen an occasion in FM where player would have hit the ball out when attacking and opponent player is injured. He would do that only when his own player is injured.

Of course I'm not complaining because at those two occasions I got a goal that I quite desperately needed in that specific moment, but I would be furious to see my defender lying on the ground and opponent scoring at the same time. In real life it wouldn't happen most of the time I'd think. Fans IRL don't like this sort of football.

Is this fair play issue totally ignored by SI or is it really connected to players personality, so that mor sporting player would stop playing when opponent player is injured and my players behaviour just indicates that their hidden "sporting" attribute is quite low?

yeah there was a rule players are under no obligation to stop play now if someone goes down its up to the referee to decide. remember that slovakia vs england game when robert green went down clutching his knee and the striker scored. similiar type of thing

Wasn't there a new rule introduced last year? If a player went down, you played on until the ref blew his whistle.

In the EPL, players were advised to let the ref make the decision but chaos still rules because half the time, they still knock the ball out.

yeah there was a rule players are under no obligation to stop play now if someone goes down its up to the referee to decide. remember that slovakia vs england game when robert green went down clutching his knee and the striker scored. similiar type of thing

The referee was only obliged to stop the game immediately if it was a head injury or a serious injury. However, a lot of players simply knock the ball out irregardless - it is sporting, after all.

However, to me, if a player is injured and cannot move at all and he's so far back he'd be playing someone onside, then usually players knock the ball out anyway as they're not in the thick of the action. If it was closer to the middle of the pitch play usually continues (at least for a while).

For example, if a goalkeeper went down injured you never see people play on. They put the ball out anyway.

For example, if a goalkeeper went down injured you never see people play on. They put the ball out anyway.

IRL that's not always true, in an amateur game in the Netherlands I played in, our goalie get charged by the opponent striker and our goalie went to the ground injured. The opponents kept pushing for a goal.

So when they took a shot at goal I dived for the ball and of course made the hands ball.

All hell break lose after that, we blaming the opponent for keep playing and the opponent me for making hands.

Anyways, the penalty which followed was stopped by our keeper :)

In one of my games, I was 1-0 down to Hoffenheim and my striker got put clean through on goal and put the ball out because a player was injured. Would've been the ultimate sporting play, like Di Canio.... the only problem was that it was ONE OF OUR PLAYERS who was injured. I'm sure he wouldn't have mind waiting for a bit if it meant a goal.

In one of my games, I was 1-0 down to Hoffenheim and my striker got put clean through on goal and put the ball out because a player was injured. Would've been the ultimate sporting play, like Di Canio.... the only problem was that it was ONE OF OUR PLAYERS who was injured. I'm sure he wouldn't have mind waiting for a bit if it meant a goal.

LOL, I bet you were gutted. I agree if it's your own player and you have a clear chance of scoring then your team should play on.

The worst case i ever had of a player being too sporting is when adebayor challenged the robinson the keeper, got the ball cleanly, the robinson went down after he had won the ball and ade put it out when he was clean through on goal,it didn't make any sense since he would have scored whether robinson had got injured or not.....

Archived