How often do you change your tactics during a match?

I have seen myself changing anywhere between 15-30 times per game, just small things here and there, remembering I keep a note on all aspects of a match and watch every game on a normal 3d speed. Only in my Scotland career, but on my other file Newcastle I do just text commentry and I only change tactics like 2 times per game...

So long as my team are having more shots on goal than the other team i leave my tactics alone.

But if the game starts showing you a clear majority of the highlights as the other team attacking my goals... then i make some major changes to try and catch them out.

Say... Switching from all out attacking to counter attacking.

I have 1 standard tactic, 4 attacking tactics and 4 defensive tactics. The attackign and defensive tactics are based on the same basic system, but with different mentality, fwd run and passing etc.

All of these tacts are pre-saved, so i can flick between then easily during the match. Some games take me from one end of the scale to the other.

On average though, i would say i change 4 or 5 times a game.

Using my Muppet Management theory I change when required AND every time the Ass Man makes a suggestion. This is every 3-4 mins match time :-( IT seems he can only comment on 2 players at a time, its a shame he cannot say "Go in hard but fair on ..." and then list 8 players rather than pop up every 4 mins with the next 2 to target - that is just frustrating.

A lot.

I usually start with my slow, wide 4-4-2 tactic to gauge how the opposition have chosen to set up, then make changes that should in theory give me the upper hand.

It varies from a change in formation (most common 4-4-2 to 3-4-1-2) and tempo, to changing individual orders given to my players.

I never have pre-set tactics, well except for the gauging tactic.

All depends on how the game is going, if 2-0 up and continuing to play well i usually leave it at that. 0-1 down i change it go more attacking. Depends also if i changed my tatic to get a specific result then when/if it happens i change back.

Its all common sense stuff, I dont go for all this mirco-managing stuff. All depends what I want my team to be doing, What i wan them to do and if they are actually doing it.

Very rarely. I aim for a tactic which doesn't need to be changed at all. So I only change/tweak tactics when it is completely necessary, probably once every 10 games or so. More so against tougher opponants.

Only change my tactics only if the team is loosing 2:0 or playing against a top side and need to see of the final stages of the game.

I find that if i keep on changing tactics to often then it could unbalance (not sure if it is the right word to use) the team.

I also have four pre set tactics i have design before the season starts then might twick it here and there if need,

1: Attacking

2: Defensive

3: Balanced

4: Counter attacking

Archived