Reserve Friendlies

At the start of each season, I schedule a buttload (yeah, that's a real number) of friendlies for my reserve and youth squads. I do this because

* I figure match time, while not first team match time, is still good for the players.

* I carry a large reserve squad, so it ensures they all play.

* It generates some money, although not much.

* It helps my scouting.

However, all of this is purely theoretical on my part. Can anyone confirm/deny that the above things do indeed help? That is, is this a good strategy, or am I wasting my time (it does take quite a bit of time to do this).

You schedule friendlies beyond any reserve league you might also be participating? Or are you talking about for nations without reserve leagues?

Yeah, I basically pick 20+ clubs at random from all across Europe, very small clubs, big ones, doesn't matter. Basically, my reserve squad never goes more than four days without a game.

What counts most is the reputation of the club the player plays for, the attribute gain is afaik toned down slightly for friendlies. However, for your Reserves team, there is a reputation different to your first team which you cannot see without the editor. If you look there, you can decide if it is better to loan out or to play friendlies.

Friendlies really rock if your Reserves normally do not get any games! (Other than English leagues, that is often the case)

I have found friendlies really help if your reserves ar in a not-displayed lower league, I played a season without them, and with them, and in the season without them I often had only 2 or less players "trained well" by my Ass Report, while in the season with friendlies, the Reserves players were often mentioned and there were always 3 players (which is max displayed) who trained well.

So the time was more or less well invested. Of course, it is also interesting to see how your players perform in these matches; it may give you a hint who to promote to first team, so I'd say friendlies are good. I only schedule friendlies against big club reserve teams though, they always accept and have reasonably good players so I can see how my guys do against some opposition at least.

What counts most is the reputation of the club the player plays for, the attribute gain is afaik toned down slightly for friendlies. However, for your Reserves team, there is a reputation different to your first team which you cannot see without the editor. If you look there, you can decide if it is better to loan out or to play friendlies.

Friendlies really rock if your Reserves normally do not get any games! (Other than English leagues, that is often the case)

I have found friendlies really help if your reserves ar in a not-displayed lower league, I played a season without them, and with them, and in the season without them I often had only 2 or less players "trained well" by my Ass Report, while in the season with friendlies, the Reserves players were often mentioned and there were always 3 players (which is max displayed) who trained well.

So the time was more or less well invested. Of course, it is also interesting to see how your players perform in these matches; it may give you a hint who to promote to first team, so I'd say friendlies are good. I only schedule friendlies against big club reserve teams though, they always accept and have reasonably good players so I can see how my guys do against some opposition at least.

Agree, it's not a waste of time to arrange friendly's for them. It's way better then just to loan them out to teams witch don't play in leagues.

And yes it's easier to spot who plays better then the rest, also not every time a 7 star potential player is the best performer, so it's worth it to have them play games.

I believe it does help, although to be honest I don't have a reserves side but simply a large youth side. Some of my youngsters play in around 60 games per season, more than my first team! It also ensures that the players on the fringes of the first team of your youth team keep fit as well, for injury crises.

I usually arrange them against amateur sides as my youth formation is highly attacking, and my strikers' forms can stay high by hitting 3-4 goals past these rubbish teams.

Case in point: I see several former players of mine breaking into Serie A before 23 after establishing themselves in a Serie B team. My youth development seems slightly quicker than other sides which has helped this - and I attribute this to the additional 30+ games the reserves play.

I play in Italy.

Archived