League reputation

mit_p

It's probably up there as one of the things most of us want changing since it can seriously affect your game in the long run.

You could turn Cork City into European Champions Cup winners and World Club Championship winners for the next decade, but because of the poor Irish league reputation, your club will struggle to get past a 'National' reputation and might reach 'Continental' before dropping at the end of the season. Think of it as a 'glass ceiling'.

Which means players will want to leave and you won't be able to attract established players of suitable quality.

Should one club doing well change the league rep? I'm not saying it shouldn't I'm just asking if it's realistic.

If IRL Cork City qualified for the champions League and got to the Semi Final 3 years in a row or even won the trophy, would players want to move their with offers from Milan, Madrid, Chelsea etc? I'm not so sure they would.

Guest Von Scharpling

You're being unfair though - the problem isn't that Madrid is a more attractive option but that a team like Ipswich is a more attractive option.

Should one club doing well change the league rep? I'm not saying it shouldn't I'm just asking if it's realistic.

If IRL Cork City qualified for the champions League and got to the Semi Final 3 years in a row or even won the trophy, would players want to move their with offers from Milan, Madrid, Chelsea etc? I'm not so sure they would.

Not over 3 years - but Cork City would slowly be able to raise the value of their own league through interest alone, and perhaps after a decade who knows?

We are talking long-term games here after all.

You could be right but it would take a heck of a lot to generate interest. I know loads of people that will watch other premier league games other than with the teams they are interested in. You also hear people saying, 'did you watch the Barca vs Ath Madrid league match?'

But you barely hear people say 'Oh I can't wait for that Porto vs Maritimo match tonight'. Portuguese teams feature every season in the champions league but I wouldn't say it generates interest in their domestic league.

So a country like Ireland would take a lot more than 1 team doing fantastic over the space of a decade.

I'm not having a go or saying anyone is wrong, it might sound like that thats all. This is just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Me too, that and other clubs showing an interest in taking incredible 17 year olds out on loan.

I'd consider it the ultimate FM Challenge, getting, say, 2 Norn Irish teams into the Champions League Quarter Finals. We're not asking it to become La Liga overnight, but surely a team in a small league doing so well would improve interest in the league in general.

I think Miles said in the Fm10 thread near the top of the page that they will still be stactic in FM10 but they are looking into it or words to that effect.

They've been looking at it for a while (as I'm sure they have with the corner bug too).

Archived