European Competition Player Registrations for later rounds.

swisso

I decided to sneak a game with Inter in before FM10 arrives, but i noticed that i couldn't register 1 player who has played in a different European competition for the club i got him from.

On registering the squad list for the Champions Cup knockout rounds in February, you have the option of 3 replacements. FM09 allows players to be included who haven't played in any European competition which is correct. But the official UEFA rules state:

One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club competition matches for another competing club in the current season may exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:

1) in the same competition for another club; or

2) for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Europa League, his former club must not have played in the UEFA Europa League at any point in the current season.

That rule doesn't appear to be implemented (or am i missing something?), since i couldn't register Ricardo Montolivio from Fiorentina (Euro Cup) or Angelo Palombo from Sampdoria (Euro Cup). Neither have played in the Champions Cup this season.

Has anyone found anything similar? I wonder if it's not implemented for legal reasons? or maybe it's just too difficult to fit in? I must admit, i could have done with Montolivios creativity in Europe!

How long has this rule been in? I can only recall it being mentioned last season. It may just be a case of the rule changing after FM being released/coded.

Since 2007-2008 season (PDF file of Regulations) (page 29, para 17.18)

and also from Bert Kassies site since 2006-2007 (page 29, para 15.18)

I was just reading up to see if Johnny Heitinga could be included in Evertons Europa League squad and according to UEFA's rules, providing Atletico don't drop down to the Europa League, we can register him as the 'exceptional' player in February.

I'd also like to see this in FM10, as it has been the case that this has been allowed in real-life for a couple of seasons now at least.

A good example would be in the 2007-08 season, where Nicolas Anelka played for Bolton in the early rounds of the UEFA Cup, then moved to Chelsea in January 08, and was allowed to be registered for the latter stages of the Champions League that same season (missing a penalty against Man U in the final etc).

Archived