FM2010 new features - blogs 9 & 10. Starting a new game, and team settings

• SI Staff
I don't really get this 'Go To These Screens' feature - can someone explain it to me?

Basically, at the moment, we force the order of screens people go to.

By default, when you click continue, you go to your "manager homepage".

Some people claim that they want to go to different default screens, such as the league table, rather than the homepage. "Go To These Screens" makes it configurable which screens you go to by default.

Very impressed with that. The new database customiser will eliminate the need for my DDT file which can only be a good thing, and it's also good that there's a pointer to how quickly the game will run with a particular set up.

• SI Staff
so the youth team settings arent in the team settings screen?

They are, you just need to scroll down.

Maybe it's just me but: "List for loan all players who are offered for loan to other clubs"

I've had to read it several before I understood what it meant.

It's not the best use of English ever. Neither was my statement there. Or the last bit. It's too late to change it now (I can only get away with a few translated lines before Woodg gets really angry).

Best new feature there is the custom database option and filters, much less messing around with edt files and no need for the old "load players from" option.

This is easily the top new feature on my personal "wishlist". It will be great to carefully craft one's gameworld to function as one would like it... providing good processing speed and performance, including the players and types of players one wants throughout a save, adjusting the player pool to provide the desired level of worldwide talent, even providing a way to ensure that all national teams have enough players in the database to make them playable. Love it, love it, love it SI.

In the blog you said You also get the option of having a friendly match against your reserves to really get to know your players better.

Can you please explain whats new about this since you can already do this in the current game. I do it every pre-season.

In the blog you said You also get the option of having a friendly match against your reserves to really get to know your players better.

Can you please explain whats new about this since you can already do this in the current game. I do it every pre-season.

I would imagine it comes up as option when taking over a club rather than you having to arrange it possibly.

Not entirely sure how you could do the benchmark, but I'm sure someone could make a suggestion.

I was wondering what the stars for performance actually relate to? Maybe, holiday for a season, 1 star would represent 12 hours, 5 stars 1 hour. Not sure if this would work.

Also, 'Computer Performance', is that how good your computer is?

If so, I guess nothing can be said on that until Min Specs are released, but will the approximate computer specs to star rating be announced?

• SI Staff
I would imagine it comes up as option when taking over a club rather than you having to arrange it possibly.

It does indeed.

Not entirely sure how you could do the benchmark, but I'm sure someone could make a suggestion.

I was wondering what the stars for performance actually relate to? Maybe, holiday for a season, 1 star would represent 12 hours, 5 stars 1 hour. Not sure if this would work.

Also, 'Computer Performance', is that how good your computer is?

If so, I guess nothing can be said on that until Min Specs are released, but will the approximate computer specs to star rating be announced?

It's not as simple as that. The benchmarking doesn't just take into account RAM and processor, but also how much of each you have left at the time of starting a new game.

Those screenshots today were taken on my laptop. If it was a fresh boot up, I would expect much higher start ratings for computer performance than I had there, as, at the time, I had a load of other software active.

All computers are different anyway. RAM, Processor, Graphics card are just one measurement. Many of the parts inside a computer come into play when benchmarking.

So there is no "1 start represents 12 hours on holiday" or "this spec = x stars". When you play the game, it will benchmark, and tell you the results based on that computer at that time.

Seems like some very nice polishing there. It is definitely looking much more user friendly than before and I like that I can set it up to take shortcuts on the areas that were laborious in previous games and spend more time concentrating on the parts that really matter (which seem to have improved dramatically rather than simple polishing). Overall it is looking great.

My one question goes back to part of what saddlerscott said. I understood the reply from Miles about the benchmarking of the system being difficult to do, based on a number of factors not necessarily related to the pure spec of the machine. However I don't really understand the stars for the game speed. For sure if I run more leagues the game speed will be slower due to more processing, but what does 3 stars represent? Is it significantly slower than 5 stars? I guess some kind of feedback on what the game speed indications mean would be great.

Is it too late to include an option to offer for loan by default any players listed for loan? That way, you'd be able to select everyone listed for loan and offer them at once.

That's what DivineOne couldn't understand. It's this basically meaning it's there already.

Miles,

I wanted to ask you if you could just give us some idea about the next topics in the blogs.

I know you don't want to tell everything and I understand, but just ideas just to make us patient before the game on October. For examples : media, interactivity, training, or other polish topics etc..

Don't worry, it will be between you and me, nobody else will know !

Regards.

Miles,

I wanted to ask you if you could just give us some idea about the next topics in the blogs.

I know you don't want to tell everything and I understand, but just ideas just to make us patient before the game on October. For examples : media, interactivity, training, or other polish topics etc..

Regards.

For goodness' sake - wait ONE day :rolleyes:

• SI Staff
Miles,

Regards.

No :)

It often changes from day to day depending on whether videos are OK to go live, or screenshots, or whatever. This weeks topics are different to what I originally expected so I'm just doing them as and when.

I think I know what today's is, but until I've seen and approved the video, I can't be sure, even at this time.

I see 2 stars for computer performance and 5 stars for computer speed... Isn't this a bit strange as far as logic goes? What does it mean exactly?

There was only 1 nation selected, so it's saying even on a rubbish computer, it will still go pretty fast. The more nations you select, the lower the computer speed rating will get.

That's how I see it, anyway.

It does indeed.

It's not as simple as that. The benchmarking doesn't just take into account RAM and processor, but also how much of each you have left at the time of starting a new game.

Those screenshots today were taken on my laptop. If it was a fresh boot up, I would expect much higher start ratings for computer performance than I had there, as, at the time, I had a load of other software active.

All computers are different anyway. RAM, Processor, Graphics card are just one measurement. Many of the parts inside a computer come into play when benchmarking.

So there is no "1 start represents 12 hours on holiday" or "this spec = x stars". When you play the game, it will benchmark, and tell you the results based on that computer at that time.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply

Thanks Miles for your quick reply,

My aim was not to know exactly which topic will come, I unserstand your position.

I just wanted to know if any shocking news will come or no ( I mean new features not announced at all yet like the "backroom advice" ).

Of course the detail will come when it has to come.

Thanks again.

No :)

It often changes from day to day depending on whether videos are OK to go live, or screenshots, or whatever. This weeks topics are different to what I originally expected so I'm just doing them as and when.

I think I know what today's is, but until I've seen and approved the video, I can't be sure, even at this time.

I have a question for Miles.

Was the bug with "1 striker, 1 ofensive midfielder behind him" fixed this time around ?

I've posted it after I think the 2006 release, and the last FM release, and it still wasn't fixed.

This bug just kills the beauty of watching 4-2-3-1 formation in action.

ps. Keep up the good work.

There was only 1 nation selected, so it's saying even on a rubbish computer, it will still go pretty fast. The more nations you select, the lower the computer speed rating will get.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Yeah... But we really shouldn't have to guess what it means... This is not half-time talks... (not that we should have to guess there either...).

That's a general problem many features of the series suffer from. There is not concrete information about what something means. Don't let us suffer it while we setup a game too!

can i ask what the recommended setup option from previous FM games was looking at when determining what the setup should be and how that differs from the benchmark feature?

I have used the recommended option in the past but always felt that it was not selecting enough based on the power of my machine.

When you play the game, it will benchmark, and tell you the results based on that computer at that time.

It sounds like one should play a few different saves (or at least holiday a few seasons in a few saves) to "calibrate" the benchmarking system and give it some data & experience from which to draw its conclusions for different league selections and database setups.

Archived