Selling my players from under me

Ok... I love FM.

I've been playing it since the very first CM. Whatever happened to Domark btw?

Anyway.. The single, most infuriating feature of FM today..imo... is the way in which Chairmen sell players from under you. I don't mond the fact that they say.. this is too good an offer to turn down. What I mind is that I feel utterly powerless in the situation and that even if I resigned over it, they just wouldn't know why.

What I propose is this...

If the offer is too good for the board to refuse, let them suggest that you accept it. Then... you can either refuse or agree. If you refuse they can insist you accept it, at which point you should be able to issue them an ultimatum. They can then decide whether to sack you and take the cash... or back you and keep the player. Either way I won't feel so helpless in the situation. They get what they want, I can walk or put up with it...but its not just an event that is without my input.

I guess what I'm saying is that my value as a manager should be considered. I'm Southend and a big offer has come in for one of my young stars. They took it and that's it. I was so annoyed I resigned. But it doesn't matter... I'm top of the lague by 12 points at Christmas and I don't even have the facility to say.. you sell him and I'll quit. That's what annoys me.

I guess what I'm saying is that my value as a manager should be considered. I'm Southend and a big offer has come in for one of my young stars. They took it and that's it. I was so annoyed I resigned. But it doesn't matter... I'm top of the lague by 12 points at Christmas and I don't even have the facility to say.. you sell him and I'll quit. That's what annoys me.

or have a reason why you quit be good aswell.

It might be annoying but that's how it goes with little clubs though.

It doesn't though. Do you really think that managers turn up at training one day to find their players gone? That the board turn round and say.. yeah it was too good to turn down so we took it? Or do you think they say... we think this is too good to turn down and we're inclined to take it... what do you reckon? and then choose the money or the manager?...Even if that were to happen.. you should at least be able to tell them that it's the reason you're leaving. Quitting a job in FM is just a seemingly unconnected event to anything that goes on.

If IRL you are annoyed at your job, you get the opportunity to say.. you did this to me that's why I'm leaving. It doesn't happen in FM.. and it's annoying.

It doesn't though. Do you really think that managers turn up at training one day to find their players gone?

Negotiations mostly don't go that fast. But apart from that, if they an offer to good to turn down, they'll inform they're gonna sell him.

Inform you, not ask. Sure you can complain, but it doesn't gonna change anything

If IRL you are annoyed at your job, you get the opportunity to say.. you did this to me that's why I'm leaving. It doesn't happen in FM.. and it's annoying.

Absolutely, you should be able to give a reason why you leave when you quit.

Negotiations mostly don't go that fast. But apart from that, if they an offer to good to turn down, they'll inform they're gonna sell him.

Inform you, not ask. Sure you can complain, but it doesn't gonna change anything

Absolutely, you should be able to give a reason why you leave when you quit.

Ay decision you make in business is a balance of risk and reward. If a club like Southend found themselves pulling away from the pack at Christmas thanks to their new manager. There would be more consideration given to the reaction of the manager.. especially if he were to resign. Than there is in the game. The decison process might look something like this...

The offer is amazing and we could do with the cash...

Will the manager agree that it's a good deal?

If he doesn't can we afford to hack him off?

If we can... let's do it... if not let's pull back.

I do not believe that any club.. anywhere... unless they have no respect for the manager at all would NOT want his input into the sale of a player. That's far fetched.

Ay decision you make in business is a balance of risk and reward. If a club like Southend found themselves pulling away from the pack at Christmas thanks to their new manager. There would be more consideration given to the reaction of the manager.. especially if he were to resign. Than there is in the game. The decison process might look something like this...

The offer is amazing and we could do with the cash...

Will the manager agree that it's a good deal?

If he doesn't can we afford to hack him off?

If we can... let's do it... if not let's pull back.

I do not believe that any club.. anywhere... unless they have no respect for the manager at all would NOT want his input into the sale of a player. That's far fetched.

ok thinking now. it be good if the chairmen says were sellin x player what do you think. and say somethink like i dont think were get promoted,stay up so on. that be a good option so the chairmen rethinks the idea.

ok thinking now. it be good if the chairmen says were sellin x player what do you think. and say somethink like i dont think were get promoted,stay up so on. that be a good option so the chairmen rethinks the idea.

Agreed... even if you had the choice to say. If we need the cash I can sell X and Y for the same amount...I could have sold 6 reserve team players and saved more money. It wasn't even a great financial decision. Nor were there any indications that the club needed to raise funds. I could even have got more for the player in question.. but it was taken out of my control entirely.. and that's what irritates. It's just a big doorstop of a decision that you don't see coming, that you cannot mitigate and that you can't complain about. It's detached from reality.

Alright, give the manager the option to complain for a reason (that you can choose) and a good chairman might even listen to you ... (if you have a point).

yeh like if they plan to sell your top striker who has got 20 goals in jan. you can say we wont be as good or somethink.

I had a great experience with this. I'd pinched a great regen from under the nose of loads of big clubs (me being Reading) and he had been brilliant all season, propelling us to 3rd place. When the close season came I was prepared for a battle to keep him... I pressed continue once and I got 5 news items; AC interested, offer made that had been accepted, terms agreed, chairman confirmed, player delighted to be at Milan.

Forget the struggle then.

Archived