Assistant manager buying and selling

Absolutely not. It doesn't happen IRL, neither should it in FM. CM is irrelevant, as is FIFA etc. No way.

Neither do managers actually deal with transfers and contract negotiations - but they do in FM.

Not saying I want that option btw, but this real life argument is weak. It's a game, even if some of you desperately want it to be more than that.

Really if you substitute Assistant Manager with Director of Football then this idea starts to sound a little better.

Truth is I'd like it if some clubs had a director of football that you have to go through. Some chairmen can be more inclined to hiring them. There reaches a point where you have enough support to be ballsy enough to confront your chairman with an ultimatum (one that actually works if you've got sufficient support), either me or him type of thing.

There could be different types of directors of football too. Those who buy a table when you ask for a lamp and those who give a list of a number of lamps you can choose from.

Sure it'll suck but really all you have to do to avoid the headache is quit the job.

Director of football role should be added to the game!

More realism.

I feel there aren't enough 'happenings' in the game. The manager contract was a great addition as it made a chance of interaction with the game. Interaction is lacking a lot in the game in my opinion so the addition of DOF, a head coach who could possibly make/recommend training schedules and a head scout (mentioned in sfrasers thread marked by SI) would all be great additions full of interaction and dynamic controls.

Why should we want that????

It's annoying enough if the chairman steps in but how on earth should be tolerate our subordinates interfering?

Or are you talking about an option for the assman to be assigned to do so? Then why would I still play FM if I cannot be bothered to deal with transfers?

players.

Would you like to see that in FM 2010?

Discuss.

No, mainly as that aspect of management isn't part of any AssMan's job description

It's a role for some Managers, but several are really just Head Scouts providing a list of players they want at the club, a 3rd party (DoF/selection board) then does the actual bidding/negotiating.

real life example:-

This is why this season Davies has a threadbare defence at Forest, he identified players he wanted, the Selection Committee failed to deliver.

Really if you substitute Assistant Manager with Director of Football then this idea starts to sound a little better.

Truth is I'd like it if some clubs had a director of football that you have to go through. Some chairmen can be more inclined to hiring them. There reaches a point where you have enough support to be ballsy enough to confront your chairman with an ultimatum (one that actually works if you've got sufficient support), either me or him type of thing.

There could be different types of directors of football too. Those who buy a table when you ask for a lamp and those who give a list of a number of lamps you can choose from.

Sure it'll suck but really all you have to do to avoid the headache is quit the job.

Director of football role should be added to the game!

More realism.

I feel there aren't enough 'happenings' in the game. The manager contract was a great addition as it made a chance of interaction with the game. Interaction is lacking a lot in the game in my opinion so the addition of DOF, a head coach who could possibly make/recommend training schedules and a head scout (mentioned in sfrasers thread marked by SI) would all be great additions full of interaction and dynamic controls.

But is that what you want from a football management game? Being deprived of being in charge? I'm happily sacrifying any realism if a realistic game is no fun. (which it is to me, but being deprived of task would make playing the game pointless)

Also I wonder how you can ignore the fact that the director of football is the rule on the continent, not the exception, for years and years and years already. Once there are two or three of them in the EPL people starting demanding it as a realistic feature... :rolleyes::thdn:

But is that what you want from a football management game? Being deprived of being in charge? I'm happily sacrifying any realism if a realistic game is no fun. (which it is to me, but being deprived of task would make playing the game pointless)

Also I wonder how you can ignore the fact that the director of football is the rule on the continent, not the exception, for years and years and years already. Once there are two or three of them in the EPL people starting demanding it as a realistic feature... :rolleyes::thdn:

That is where the realism comes into it. When offered the job, "Newcastle offer you position of manager, they expect top 5 finish and have a DOF in place to help with the clubs transfer policy"

Options

"Accept terms"

"Negotiate" (remove DOF - change his amount of control)

"Reject proposal"

I have no idea how common they are(DOFs) but I do know they EXIST and make a big impact at any club they are in place (dennis wise at newcastle, sven at notts county). So in my opinion they should be added in a realistic manner.

I would leave a club and move on if a chairman decided he didn't trust me in the transfer market. Like Keegan did. Interaction of this sort would be a great addition to this football manager SIMULATION.

These features i would not mind added if it help people enjoy the game more. (some people just want to pick up and play, some people want to finish a season quick etc)

the thing would would like added is Ass man to handle contract negotiations (sp) but a little more in detail, i want him to handle on certain contracts, so i would want him to remind me staff / player x contract is running out then option is: 1: Ass man renew contrct 2: i renew contract 3: release staff/player after contract ends etc.

the reason i want this is when my staff contract comes near to end, i ave around 20-30 contracts to negotiate which becomes irritating.

hope that made sense lol.

That is where the realism comes into it. When offered the job, "Newcastle offer you position of manager, they expect top 5 finish and have a DOF in place to help with the clubs transfer policy"

Options

"Accept terms"

"Negotiate" (remove DOF - change his amount of control)

"Reject proposal"

I have no idea how common they are(DOFs) but I do know they EXIST and make a big impact at any club they are in place (dennis wise at newcastle, sven at notts county). So in my opinion they should be added in a realistic manner.

I would leave a club and move on if a chairman decided he didn't trust me in the transfer market. Like Keegan did. Interaction of this sort would be a great addition to this football manager SIMULATION.

Again, if football management simulations would be realistic in that respect, there was no point in ever creating them. We apparently do agree that being a manager under a DOF would not justify taking any more time to play the game, right?

So that means, if done realistically, management outside the UK can be taken out of the game as there are DOFs all around with very limited exceptions.

I don't want to be forced to resign from a job because the game deprives me of handling options, no matter how realistic it is. There are some basic sacrifices we have to make to make any football management sim enjoyable as a video game and this is definitely one of them.

Archived