the premier league have just said, maximum of 25 players in squad next season

Every premiership team already qualifies for this rule, so it won't really effect any team at present. Although it's going to have an even greater impact on British transfer fees. We thought english players were expensive before, now its gonna be through the roof

Every premiership team already qualifies for this rule, so it won't really effect any team at present. Although it's going to have an even greater impact on British transfer fees. We thought english players were expensive before, now its gonna be through the roof

What do you mean they already qualify? Have I misunderstood? It seems that they gave to register 25 players for league matches. Which means if your not in that group you don't play?

Probably affect youth develoment in that case

What do you mean they already qualify? Have I misunderstood? It seems that they gave to register 25 players for league matches. Which means if your not in that group you don't play?

I mean every premiership team already has 8 homegrown players in their squads. So if the rule was enforced this season, all teams would meet the criteria.

As far as I'm aware, any player under the age of 21 doesn't have to be included in the 25 man squad so teams can still put youngsters on the bench.

I would imagine under 21's or under 18's wont need to be registered like in the champions league. This is incase a club has an injury crisis and needs players to call upon plus youth development.

No...? I think you missed the point. The rule stipulates 8 home grown players in the 25 man FIRST TEAM SQUAD. Not youth squad. The youth squad has nothing to do with it.

But that's where they'll get the eight from just like in the champions league. Also homegrown will have to be as per the European registrations, otherwise the FA will be breaking EU employment law.

SI must cry every time there's a football affecting decision made close to release date. First Chelsea transfer ban and now this.

I sense late nights approaching.

yep, must be a night mare. I really hope this and the chelsea transfer ban are included in the new game. If not the first release then maybe a patch shortly after.

I don't...

Will definitely be in FM10.

Sorry but your quoting Phil and Bridekings completely out of context with that :thdn:

Quoting them from the football thread discussing Chelsea as fans gives absolutely no indication if it the rule will be included in FM10 or not. :rolleyes:

The fact the structure of the rule and therefore the coding already exists for both the Spanish Leagues and the European competitions "could" make it easier to get into FM10. Personally Id wouldn't expect the option to be there from release but in the first patch taking effect from the next full season or maybe meaning you have to start a new game.

It should be easy to code, probably just a flag attached to a league.

Must say, this all seem to line up to affect Chelsea the most. First they can't sign players, and now when can sign players, they have to be homegrown (as they are already at the bare minimum of 8). Watch English players' transfer value to be even more ridiculous!

This will be contrary to European employment law!!!!

The prem are saying english clubs have to have positive discrimination towards british based players(the 8 rule)

It will be interesting if a club refuses to comply and takes it to court

perhaps this is why we have seen a lot of the big clubs try to sign overseas talent at a young age........................

This will be contrary to European employment law!!!!

The prem are saying english clubs have to have positive discrimination towards british based players(the 8 rule)

It will be interesting if a club refuses to comply and takes it to court

perhaps this is why we have seen a lot of the big clubs try to sign overseas talent at a young age........................

1: They can employed, just not registered in the squad. Just like the Champions League/Europa League

2: They don't have to be British, just trained in England or Wales.

3: They all voted for it so why would they refuse.

4: Probably right

Th is is a major development and will surely be in FM10, although I suppose the rule can be changed using the editor.

Note that it comes into force next season, so the first season in FM10 won't have it, giving managers a season to play the transfer market (at inflated prices?!) to get their squads into shape.

Wait a minute:

"The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

Does that mean an English player who didn't get into the game until he was, say, 20, couldn't ever be homegrown :confused:

This is ridiculous. La Liga easilly going to become the best league in the world now. At least spains rule is max of 3 non-eu, not a minimum of spanish talent. I dont know if you noticed but spain's youth isn't exactly suffering from allowing lots of EU players in the squads. If the english youth was good enough, they'd be able to break into the teams. Simple. The Premier League have just reduced the quality of the league.

Wow that totally messes my usuaul plan of signing dozens of cheapies and using only those that prove themselves.

Not necessarily. If they're under 21 you can use as many as you like. Even over 21 they can prove themselves in your reserves; you move the best ones up next season. Plus presumably it only applies to EPL matches - your fringe players can play in cup games.

This is ridiculous. La Liga easilly going to become the best league in the world now. At least spains rule is max of 3 non-eu, not a minimum of spanish talent. I dont know if you noticed but spain's youth isn't exactly suffering from allowing lots of EU players in the squads. If the english youth was good enough, they'd be able to break into the teams. Simple. The Premier League have just reduced the quality of the league.

All the teams currently meet the standards so i can't imagine it severely hurting the prem teams, but foreign players still count if they are trained at the club for three years before the age of 21. So all the young foreign players may still count if they come to clube before they're 19.

I would hope the code is already there - as its nearly the same as for the Champions League (not quite as note the extra requirement in the ECL that 4 players are homgrown at that club).

I think it is a good development for the English game IRL. Yes English players may increase in price but note that it doesn't restrict foreign born players from being homegrown if they meet the criteria - Fabregas being homegrown is the best example.

Wow that totally messes my usuaul plan of signing dozens of cheapies and using only those that prove themselves.

No... "of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown"

seems to me that these extra "8" can either be under the age of 21 (regardless of homegrown or not) or over 21 and homegrown.

So you can buy cheap youngsters and register them!

A couple of points/questions:

1. I've heard through various media outlets, that if Chelsea appeal against their Transfer ban on the last possible day allowed, then the Transfer ban will not take place until next summer. This would enable them to buy in the forthcoming January transfer window. Will SI wait for that decsion to be made or will they put the ban in place in the hope that Chelsea don't appeal?

2. Would this new rule really make the EPL any weaker? The top clubs will still be a draw for major players all over the world and the Premier League will always be the most popular league in the world (if not the best) due to the like of United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, therefore the money will always be coming in helping the clubs pay even bigger (and IMO stupider) wages then they currently do.

At the risk of appearing stupid.......

Why are you classed as "home grown" in England, if you have played all your career in Wales?:confused:

If it's a British thing then why is Scotland and N.Ireland not included? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Different Football Associations maybe

Another question is will SI be able to implement the financial restrictions being proposed:

'...An annual requirement to demonstrate to the Premier League Board that a club does not have outstanding debts to other clubs...'

At the risk of appearing stupid.......

Why are you classed as "home grown" in England, if you have played all your career in Wales?:confused:

If it's a British thing then why is Scotland and N.Ireland not included? Doesn't really make sense to me.

its because welsh teams are in the championship and could be Promoted Cardiff and Swansea

I would hope the code is already there - as its nearly the same as for the Champions League (not quite as note the extra requirement in the ECL that 4 players are homgrown at that club).

I think it is a good development for the English game IRL. Yes English players may increase in price but note that it doesn't restrict foreign born players from being homegrown if they meet the criteria - Fabregas being homegrown is the best example.

Doesn't that just mean English clubs will be more encouraged to hoover up foreign kids? I can foresee FIFA bringing in a rule banning transfers of U18s, which will result in unseemly scrambles for kids' signatures the moment they turn 18.

it really wont make much of a difference think about it. for example man united are allowed to have 17 people that are over 21 and not home grown. which is plenty of players. considering they have carrick giggs scholes rooney etc etc and the same for aresnal chelsea and any other clubs. and the 21 year old rule seems a bit old. this just means they can scour the world for the youngest players even buying a player at 18 and he becomes homegrown. it doesnt look like it would help english talent. i mean if fabregas or macheda qualifies as home grown talent how is that helping the english talent come through

but on FM when a player is at your club for 3+ years he becomes homegrown right ? would this also be true in real life from next season ? eg - Torres & Reina, both well over the age of 21 but at Liverpool for 3+ seasons by the end of this season

Archived