A Large Reserve or Youth Squad

Hi Folks,

Anyone have any insight on how to make sure your Youth Squads and or Reserve Squads are getting good match time (in addition to the times when I can slot them in to a first team match)?

I pursue a buy young and develop strategy, and aside from loaning players out, is there a way I can make sure I am getting them good time - arrange more friendly's or something???

Get rid of all your 1 star rated youth players, except recently signed ones, as sometimes your ass man doesn't rate them. Don't even bother trying to sell them, the teams that will want tem can't afford to buy. Try to get affiliations at different levels, e.g. Division 1, Division 2, Belgian wp club, Dutch UEFA cup if you are a Premiership temanteam in order that you have a number of options for your young players at different levels. If your reserves/youths have a full season programme don't have friendlies during the season as it will tire out the players too much. Personally I think 30 games is more than enought for a youth team player, and if you have a reserve league going it should be close in number of games to your first team squad.

I can't stress this enough be ruthless with your youths, before I started being so myself I found that a good prospect would often be overshadowed by a player who wouldn't come on and not get games (the prospect that is), simply because the latter was at the club a few years.

Anyone who's not really making too many appearances is likely rubbish and taking playing time from your better youngsters. I tend to ship them off to grey feeder teams on loan simply to get them out of the way.

I have around 30 kids this year and half are rubbish, but I have 6 reserves - 4 oldies and 2 goalkeepers. So the kids play everything, which is where the number comes in.

Not helped by the fact I've got some decent youngsters this year. Triestina have had a barren spell for a while.

apart from loans and playing them in your first team there really isnt much you can do. as mentioned before setting up links with teams that are in the championship division or maybe a euro cup team in another league helps alot. about the only two things that i have found have worked

I tend to accumulate far too many youngsters with potential and can't give them all game-time. Therefore I alternate between having the tutored and trained at home, and loaned out with the guarantee of first-team experience.Typically I'll have a reserve squad of 30, 15 of whom are out on loan.

Thanks. Last night I purged and dumped a whole lot of crap. I'm pretty slim in both my Youth and Reserve Squads.

In total, how many players do you feel should be in my reserve and youth squads??? I'm OK with pursuing loan opportunities for a bunch of them - that makes sense.

Reserves about 18 to 20 including recovering or fringe first team players, most of your youth prospects who are good enough for the reserves are probably better off on loan, I usually keep about 20 in my youth team, 10 potential (at the moment) first-teamers, and the rest good but not long term porspect youths (especially if you can build them to a good price)

I make sure my total player count first team + reserves + youth + on loan.... do not go over 45. My logic is if you have two prospect RB at the age of 19, let one go while he is worth money because already putting one guy into first team rotation is tough having two or more young players for one slot is not smart. In addition I find it much easier to sell player while they are 20 or younger. My current first team has 7 guys from my youth ranks and 4 of them are regular in addition I make noticeable money every summer by selling my young players who are good but I have better alternatives in similar age range. So I think my strategy works. I also try to make sure I add %25 of next sale for young players. So far none of the boys I sold made me regret and mostly their value drop as they age after leaving me.

Less is more when it comes to subs.

I only run the reserve league and have my U/18's play in it with my reserves squad.

It works for me as I only have 10 reserve players and about 10 youths.

If I have a player who is very much borderline first team, I'll loan him out.

He'll usually be picked up by a relegation battling team, and gets alot of first team play.

I only run the reserve league and have my U/18's play in it with my reserves squad.

It works for me as I only have 10 reserve players and about 10 youths.

If I have a player who is very much borderline first team, I'll loan him out.

He'll usually be picked up by a relegation battling team, and gets alot of first team play.

That's a good idea. So, as far as your coaching staff is concerned, do you have a mix of Youth Coaches and Coaches?

I only run the reserve league and have my U/18's play in it with my reserves squad. It works for me as I only have 10 reserve players and about 10 youths. If I have a player who is very much borderline first team, I'll loan him out. He'll usually be picked up by a relegation battling team, and gets alot of first team play.

First, what level of club do you usually play? English leagues or other? Curious.

I've often wondered about dropping either the Reserve Team or Youth Team from their weekly competition leagues, due to rarely having enough "reasonable" talent to fill both for regularly scheduled weekly games. Usually had a half dozen youths who might possibly be worth developing, and maybe 8 to 10 bench players from my senior squad. Either way, filling out the rest of both teams seemed to be a burden of time and finances.

Do you think your Youth players' development suffers from playing, perhaps, above their level of skill in the Reserves competition?

Other experience? Anyone else choose not to field a Reserves or Youth squad, or not enter them in their league competitions?

My reserve team plays in Level 3 of the football pyramid, and can't be promoted to an higher division due to specific rules about Reserve Teams.

The core of the Reserve team consists of former youth players who aren't good enough for first team football but are more than ok for a lower league. Then it's either First Team Backups who need some action or Youth Team players getting the first taste of "actual" football.

Youth team is a bit more tricky, as the average intake of 15-16 years olders rarely produces players with PA higher than 4*, and the league rules don't allow me to raid foreign teams' youth squads... so I'm stuck with mediocre youth players. Still, youth league is a good way to separate those who "could" be good and those who "will" be good.

I couldn't play without Reserve and Youth league

Archived