Regens in FM10?

DK10

Does anyone know the extent of if/how much work was done to regens in FM10?

I unfortunately didn't get to get deeply into FM09 but am planing to hopefully have some nice long saves in FM10.

One thing I and I'm sure everyone else loves is using regens. But the past couple of years they have had issues. Either they have amazing tech stats only to find out that they're slower than molasses or they have nice physical stats with the first touch of a donkey. Then of course we have the whole one footed/2 footed fiasco. And the fact that its almost impossible for a 18yr old to burst onto the world scene and be very good.

In general regens are good but not perfected yet, has SI tweaked their algorithms at all? Will we spend the whole year moaning about regen shortcomings for the next 12 months like always?

Does anyone know the extent of if/how much work was done to regens in FM10?

I unfortunately didn't get to get deeply into FM09 but am planing to hopefully have some nice long saves in FM10.

One thing I and I'm sure everyone else loves is using regens. But the past couple of years they have had issues. Either they have amazing tech stats only to find out that they're slower than molasses or they have nice physical stats with the first touch of a donkey. Then of course we have the whole one footed/2 footed fiasco. And the fact that its almost impossible for a 18yr old to burst onto the world scene and be very good.

In general regens are good but not perfected yet, has SI tweaked their algorithms at all? Will we spend the whole year moaning about regen shortcomings for the next 12 months like always?

I like newgens I think they are great on this game there are some the have one or two stats that are bad for their position but this also happens in real life aswell.

I currently have a 19 year old newgen and between the ages of 16 and 17 he bagged 20 goals in 30 games in the English Premier League. Its rare but it is possible.

Main things about regens that need to be improved.

- Not enough good regen goalkeepers. I'm in 2022 and not one of the regen goalkeepers is even 'continental' class.

- Regens need to be picked up by national side earlier. I have 3 wonderkid regens who are absolutely amazing, yet they're still overlooked for the national team in favour of 35/36 year olds.

- Attributes need to relate to position. If I have a 15 yr old regen defender come through my academy, I don't expect to see him with 18 for finishing and passing, but 5 for marking and heading. I want my strikers to have good striker stats, not stats better suited to a holding midfielder. All positions should have a certain criteria for what stats are the most important.

Way too many regens come through with the most random assortment of attributes. Like 20 for corners, but 1 for freekicks and technique.

- Attributes need to relate to position. If I have a 15 yr old regen defender come through my academy, I don't expect to see him with 18 for finishing and passing, but 5 for marking and heading. I want my strikers to have good striker stats, not stats better suited to a holding midfielder. All positions should have a certain criteria for what stats are the most important.

So... what's wrong with retraining him to be a Striker or an AM in that case? I do agree with your point to an extent, but I've heard of real life players starting in one position in their youth and ending up in a totally different position once they become professional players.

So... what's wrong with retraining him to be a Striker or an AM in that case? I do agree with your point to an extent, but I've heard of real life players starting in one position in their youth and ending up in a totally different position once they become professional players.

Absolutely. Sol Campbell started as a striker and became a decent centre back. If I remember Chris Sutton went the opposite way round. I'm not sure if it would work too well on FM but if they are only 16 there is plenty of time to train them.

It does need some tweaking. I've noticed a couple of things like no newgens in National teams in favour of players who are 35+ and also the grouping of stats issue, i.e. 20 for freekicks surely can't have 2 for corners and technique. Other than that the levels seemed decent enough on FM09.

I have seen a few things on the FML forum about newgens being poor on there, but I am sure it is something that is being looked at all the time.

If you read some of the threads in the Bug forum, you'll realise training your DC with bad defensive qualities to a ST will result in a VERY good ST!

Actually, that would explain why the regens have low defensive ability (ie low CA) but high ST qualities (due to the low weightings given to those attributes).

Hopefully FM10 will come up with something better, not that FM09 was overly bad.

Archived