African Nations Championship [CHAN]

I hope SI didn't forget to include the African Nations Championship again this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8253595.stm

Lovely would be very well received in the game as well.

Although you would need playable leagues from Africa but definitely interesting :D, just think of scouting possibility's :D

How would it affect you? Unless you play in South Africa.

If you add this competition, you have to add all other obscure competitions for nationally based players and i'm sure there are more.

i think the main reason to add this is that a lot of top class players leave there domestic clubs for 3-4 weeks during the main season. Therefore leaving clubs with very good players, Think Chelsea with Drogba, Essien etc. So yiou may see a dip in form from clubs that have a hi contingent from teh African nations.

Its also not an obscure Competition its as big as the European Champinship that we all sit glued to every four years. The main differance is that this is every two years and mid European Season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Cup_of_Nations

i think it would be a great add to the game as it can have massive impact on a Clubs Form

Stu

EDIT

heres a list of the players from the EPL from the last ACoN

http://soccerlens.com/african-cup-of-nations-2008-damage-report-arsenal-chelsea-everton-and-portsmouth-worst-hit/5127/

i think the main reason to add this is that a lot of top class players leave there domestic clubs for 3-4 weeks during the main season. Therefore leaving clubs with very good players, Think Chelsea with Drogba, Essien etc. So yiou may see a dip in form from clubs that have a hi contingent from teh African nations.

Guess who didn't read the OP's link ;):D

Taytaz, it's not a club competition. It's basically the African Nations Cup, but the squads can only include players based in the domestic league i.e. Drogba wouldn't be playing for the Ivory Coast.

PS: I love the way posters mention random competitions, saying that they are so disappointed that they haven't been included, when they have clearly stumbled across the competition in an article on Sky or the BBC :D

If SI do forget any competitions (like the Asian one in FM09), we can just add them with the editor. Problem solved!

We don't know if the competition editor will let you create national competitions though, especially not ones in which only players (or mainly?) from the domestic league play in.

African Cup of Nations is not what we're talking about here?

because I just came 3rd with Senegal just then. We are talking about a club competition.

No its not a club competition. As the majority of squads at the African Cup of Nations are made up of European based players CAF decided to create a full international tournament to run alongside it called the African Championship of Nations [CHAN] for which only players playing in their own domestic league can play. The idea is to give to the local African players the possibility to showcase their talents and abilities, but also to bring to a higher level the national championships in Africa, and to boost their importance.

Wolud it not be better for the CAF to widen the catchment a bit, to players playing for an African team, as there are some good nations wo have not the ability to be able to run a serious domestic league, which allows the big nations like Morocco (I think, spelling), Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa to hoover up some very good players, for at least a few years.

Archived