The MLS

Salary cap and all is a bummer and everything but there is a designated player slot which my team is not making use of.

How do I make one of the players a designated player? So his salary doesn't count too much towards the salary cap?

Google has been useless. Thank you.

Actually only the first $400,000 (maybe a litte more) counts in terms of the salary cap. It's the Australian league where none of the salary counts.

Which team are you using? A few teams have traded away their designated player slots. Also, some teams will lose massive amounts of money if they have to pay a designated player.

Actually only the first $400,000 (maybe a litte more) counts in terms of the salary cap. It's the Australian league where none of the salary counts.

Which team are you using? A few teams have traded away their designated player slots. Also, some teams will lose massive amounts of money if they have to pay a designated player.

So a team can have 2 or more designated player slots then? How long is it before they get another designated slot if you have traded theirs away?

So a team can have 2 or more designated player slots then? How long is it before they get another designated slot if you have traded theirs away?

I'm pretty sure 2 is the maximum a team can have.

DC and NY who have 2, and Colorado and Chivas USA presently have zero. Their spots will revert in after the 2009 and 2011 seasons respectively

This is taken almost verbatim from Aljarov's excellent MLS guide, which I'm not sure how to find now.

Archived