Scouting Knowledge

This issue is one that has been irking me for quite a while. I seem to lose scouting knowledge at a quick rate after leaving a particular country. Using my FM09 Career Game as an example as a Canadian/Hong Kong manager with only Canadian and HK knowledge, I started out on the club level with Distillery in Northern Ireland. I only stayed there for 2 years, but I had a full N. Ireland knowledge bar in my game. I then jumped ship to Gillingham, and began to acquire England knowledge. However, my Northern Ireland knowledge was diminishing, and in a few months, I've lost all knowledge of Northern Ireland. I spent 6 years with the Gills before moving on to Celtic, and now I'm losing England knowledge. Additionally, I've also been managing the national team, first with Senegal and currently with Greece. I've spent 8 years with Senegal, and around half a year later, I've lost all Senegal knowledge.

I'm questioning why does losing knowledge happen to human managers, yet not to the AI managers and staff.

Now I will compare this to FM08. With FM08 as a Canadian/Hong Kong manager, I've had Canadian, Hong Kong, England, and some other European countries. I don't remember losing any knowledge in my FM08 saves.

Although I believe the FM08 knowledge was a bit unrealistic, I don't think the FM09 is much more realistic. I will be using the Canadian/HK manager example throughout this post. A Canadian/HK manager shouldhave knowledge of: Canada (of course), Hong Kong (of course), England (at least some knowledge, especially if you're born pre-1997 in HK, and Canada is a former British colony as well), and China (HK was given back to China in 1997). Maybe I would also add USA as knowledge as well considering Canada's several pro teams play against American teams, either in the MLS or USL.

I am also confused at to why my Swedish scout only has Swedish knowledge, compared to my Norwegian scout who has knowledge of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Poland, and Faroe Islands.

I haven't tested out with other nationalities, but there might some other issues in terms of what knowledge does a certain nationality have.

For FM10 and the future, there shouldn't just be knowledge of the one or two countries that you choose from the start, but also countries that have had some historical significance to a region. Maybe also add a City of Birth too in the manager screen, which can calculate what knowledge and languages that you really should know instead of just an entire country. I'm Canadian but I don't know French. :p

Agree/Disagree? Views about static knowledge? What about a manager gaining citizenship after spending a lot of years at one club or country? (just throwing out an idea that popped into my head) Hoping for some good discussion since I have posted previously in a thread about what GD is today, and it's lack of actual discussion these days.

Usually you get the knowledge from your country (never diminishes) and the knowledge in the country your in.

I'm assuming the loss of knowledge is due to more and more players (youth intake) coming in. You're not around to hear about them so your knowledge decreases. Logically speaking though it should take several years so if it's diminishing in a matter of months after moving to a new country then SI have got this wrong.

Usually you get the knowledge from your country (never diminishes) and the knowledge in the country your in.

I'm assuming the loss of knowledge is due to more and more players (youth intake) coming in. You're not around to hear about them so your knowledge decreases. Logically speaking though it should take several years so if it's diminishing in a matter of months after moving to a new country then SI have got this wrong.

But this system should be widespread among all staff, not just the human manager. The AI managers have youth intakes as well, but they do not lose knowledge. Right now with Celtic, I have lost around 1/3 of my English knowledge after a year in Scotland (my Scottish knowledge is around 50%). But I have an English scout who I send to England and reports back to me with players. I should have some English knowledge gained over time as I keep sending my scout to England as he reports to me about specific player targets, and I have 'read' the scouting reports.

Just looked at my knowledge and it's a bit weird tbh.

My knowledge of Spain is at about 80% atm. I haven't played in Spain for 11 months. (I find this quite realistic tbh).

My knowledge of England on the other hand is at about 60%.

I'm managing in England for 11 months now. And I only managed in Spain for 6 months, before that I also managed in England for 4 years. Imho this should be quite a bit higher if not at 100%.

Archived