Would you spend your budget for the sake of it?

I was telling my friend about my game and he told me to sign big name players and thinks I am stupid not to.

I have made a couple of signings in my Arsenal game but no one big. My wage budget is a lot lower than I am allowed which is good.

I have about £100mil to spend on players in my second season. I am doing quite well and beleive I can do much better if I change my tactics.

I am just wandering how many people out there would spend all that money just because you can? If I did bring in a big name that would mean leaving certain big name players on the bench and will eventually want to leave so I see no point myself.

Part of my "management style" is to always keep the club in the black and endear to make as much profit as possible. So I don't spend for the sake of it, in fact I'm as tight as possible.

In FM09 there has only been one occasion when I took a financial risk. I had taken Fulham to heady heights, but a small stadium meant that the transfer budget was always far higher than the balance. Realistically, my budget should have been half the one I was given each season. I had already bought a promising Brazilian striker for £16m, so that was my spending done for the season, but come january a quality young, eastern european centre mid who plays in Italy was available for £18m, so I had to go for it.

If you're at Arsnal it sounds to me like you're just continuing Arsene's transfer policy, and it works OK for him. I think it's about what the team needs. If you need a big-name player to improve the squad and have the cash then go for it. But I only ever buy what I need, and if that's a bunch of good youth prospects or a solid squad player then that's what I buy.

I'll normally spend remaining budget on young players, not ones I expect to make my first team, but ones I can sell later for profit

I'll bring in any cheap ones, montero the AMC that plays of ecuador for example is priced at 20k pounds, that's cheap for a lot of teams, send him on loan for a year or two maybe three then sell him for profit

I normally sell players with the payments coming over a 24 month period if I don't need money in the bank so I can have a constant revenue stream in case I need money later because I screwed up a season

It helps to have a bunch of clubs you can loan players to if you are gonna buy young players to sell

I remember in older versions of the game if you didn't spend your board wold do it for you. In FM2005 a fried of mine was with Arsenal, and hadn't made major money purchases in about two seasons and had about £70m transfer kitty, so the board turned around at the start of the fourth season and bought David Villa for £35m.

If I have £100m to spend then yes, I will spend it to improve my team even if I think my team is already strong, as there is always room for improvement.

But in my current game I have just entered my 3rd season and have only signed free transfers, as the clubs bank balance isn't good so I'm ignoring the transfer budget to help get them back in the black.

Guest Von Scharpling

I always feel that spending too much on one player leaves you in trouble when he gets injured or tired etc. I prefer to make sure I have balance over all areas of the team

Depends on who I am managing at the time. I can't spend it all in my Nantwich Town game as they usually give me more to spend than is in the bank, due to the 12.5k stadium if I go in the red it would take until the following season to get back in the black.

No...

Even when I was managing Juventus and I had like £150M to spend, I never went on crazy shopping sprees.

Usually I spend a reasonable sum on a few players I may need, and then some more money goes to the youth team.

Other than that, I tend not to splash big money unless I'm absolutely forced to... A relatively small roster and a solid bank balance are the two laws I obey to ,)

I'm very strict with finances. I look over it carefully and I won't buy or sell players unless it's for the 'right price'. I try to match transfers in and our as close as possible, and have a small squad (although my latest season at Celtic has been a bit overboard with transfers, although I have balanced it very well :D).

just bought cristiano rolondo. 82 million pounds.

Don't know why, but that mis-spelling really made me laugh :p

Personally I don't see any reason to spend my budget except to bring new players in, either as first-teamers or as prospects for the future

A lot of people said they spend a lot on youngsters. Thats sort of what I do. I have bought more reserves than first team players. I'm not sure if I can name players here I cant remember lol, but I have bought 2 centre mids for the first team. Fabregas is always on but I rotate the other position with the 2 signings.

I have spent 5mil on a reserve RM and a few million on a very young goalkeeper. But like I said in my original post I have never bought a huge name player. I do get the urge to sign a big name striker or something but I don't really need it, Just need a half decent sub since I sold one of my strikers.

I'm glad to see a lot of people also like to control the finances like me, I thought I was a rare breed lol.

• Administrators

I've been pretty lucky, in that in my game currently I had a tycoon that bought out my club up until he withdrew financial support once I had won the league with Port Vale, and yet I was desperate for a new stadium in order to make the club anywhere near self-sustainable.

I found an italian youth for 8 million and sold him after a season and winning the league for the first time for 30 million after I worked out it should be enough financially to make up for it.

Fortunately I managed success again with my squad and the board announced a new stadium.

Now with a transfer kitty larger than my bank balance, I'm not making any major purchases, just youth players for the future. Finding it tough financially as I'm starting to struggle in the league and need to make up in the second half of the season for a bad start and try to reach the Champions League.

I remember in older versions of the game if you didn't spend your board wold do it for you. In FM2005 a fried of mine was with Arsenal, and hadn't made major money purchases in about two seasons and had about £70m transfer kitty, so the board turned around at the start of the fourth season and bought David Villa for £35m.

This was good, though poorly implemented. I'd like to see it return in FM2010 if properly tested first.

I reach the point where I still have a chunk of my transfer budget left, yet I cant decide on who to buy because I get very cautious because either Im obcecated in spend it wisely or because the player is costs lets say 2M of my 6M of the transfer budget, then I tend to be careful and search for cheaper targets, and then out of blue comes a message in my inbox saying 'The Transfer Window for the ------ league ends in a week'. Then I start buying players, I ended up buying 6 players to strengthen my squad.

i would only spend if i had to, with my liverpool team i got handed a £30m transfer budget but all i wanted to do was replace players rather than add to my squad so with every player i bought i covered the costs with a player that i sold and ended up making money out of the transfer window and ending up with a stronger team.

as my celtic team is currently in the black and has been for a while.i tend to not try and blow my budget on big nasmes, did a few season ago when i spent £12 each on Roque Santa Cruz and Freddy Adu, Roque has since went on to score constantly at the club and is club captain wheres Adu i have just sold to Man City for £20 mill. 4 seasons after buying him.

So i tend to buy if i know there a good chance i will get a profit but most my buys are players i know i can make into stars and help my squad a lot

I try not to because I have a solid team but I always find myself spending loads on all the good youngsters but never end up using them because the average age in my team is about 26 so after 3-4 years all the youngsters that I bought want first team football and get unhappy and I sell them for much less as I payed.:(

Managing a Peruvian team none of you will ever have heard of, I just got given a £12m budget. I think that's about six times the next highest budget. I decided to try and buy the league top scorer. Enquiry, not for sale. £500k on table, hand bitten off. Likewise for the best centre back and best goalkeeper in the league :cool:

Now I have no-one to spend my money on :(

Only on kids.

With good young players that my scouts rate highly, i'll happily spend my entire budget. If I have 20 "future premiership star" reports, and they will all cost me 3 mil each, i'll drop my 60 mil budget on picking all of them up. In the long term, they actually end up making or saving me more than they cost anyway.

You'll find in a few seasons that certain players will want to leave because they've been at the club too long or want a new challenge.

Keep the money there, when a player wants to leave, sell him and buy a replacement player.

I use my transfer budget for primarily buying as many highly recommended young players as possible and then loan them out as much as possible. Even if I don't get to play the young player, by the age of 22 if there's no room in the team then I sell them for their current price and add a 50% of next sale to it. They always go for it and every now and then a few seasons down the road you can make a profit of 20 - 50 million yes 50 million from the selling on of another player.

Archived