Fact or Fiction - What's Your Manager Profile?

How Do You Typically Create Your Manager Profile?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Typically Create Your Manager Profile?

• My real name, nationality and experience
    • Fictional manager with same nationality and different experience
    • Fictional manager with different nationality and experience

I've heard that some managers create a fictional profile for themselves as a manager. Others like me have remained true to their real life identity and the advantages or disadvantages that it can bring based on nationality and experience.

So which do you choose when creating a new game? Your real name, nationality, and lack of experience? A fictional manager of the same nationality but different experience? Or a fictional manager with a different nationality and different experience?

real name n nationality, different experience (depending on who im managing. if its liverpool then i lie about it, if its llm, then im honest!)

edit: i do set meself a nickname though, so i always appear as "rinso" in game.. i dont mind sounding like a soap-powder...

I use a few different ones for my career game of Sunderland I use my real name. For virtually every other game I use a shortened version of my real name which varies depending on where I play.

Mac - England

Macces - Spain

Macanov - Russia

Macavinski - Ukraine

Macaldinho - Brazilian

You get the idea lol.

All depends on the country, yet its always the bottom option, when its in Holland I choose a Dutch Antillean, Erwin van den Skulter, when its England an English Howard Mansfell, in Italy, an Italian Emiliano Schiavetti, in Belgium a Belge Thomas Delwartes, never started in other countries than the ones listed though. Never started in my country, weird huh?

I use my real name and automatic experience.

Only exception is in my recently started "Real Madrid save", there I've chosen to use International experience.

Reason I did that was to give myself the challenge to try and buy the same team they have now irl within 2 seasons time.

Unfortunately I didn't got Kaka but everybody else is now in my team.

Pre-FM09, I always felt I had to create a male fictional character due to the lack of female gender options - having my name referred to as "he" broke the immersion. But with FM09, I play as myself, and it's better now - it's me and my achievements, and not a storyline for a fictional character.

I generally play with fictional people - a little like Brendever (see above). It depends on which country I'm in (and who I play as when in England).

Portsmouth - Daniel Knight [shameless plug]

I'm doing a story based on this fictional character called Knight - Win, Lose or Die (you can find on the FM Stories forum)

[/shameless plug]

Sheffield United - Benjamin Grantham

Anywhere else in England - Adam Stansfield

Spain - Álvaro De La Rosa

Holland - Stijn Dijkstra

etc. etc.

Always 'alter-ago' name, but always real nationality (inc 2nd nationality), and always max experience as I've noticed that seems to have had an effect on team performance, no coincidence that I've been much more successful since 07 when I've been able to start with a good reputation.

I use a few different ones for my career game of Sunderland I use my real name. For virtually every other game I use a shortened version of my real name which varies depending on where I play.

Mac - England

Macces - Spain

Macanov - Russia

Macavinski - Ukraine

Macaldinho - Brazilian

You get the idea lol.

McMac - Scotland

Big Mac - USA

I've always gone with the highest experience, just to make it that little bit easier :D

And I used to just used my details, but recently I like creating my own "characters", usually a combination of the names of great players / managers

Alexandre Aniquilara, Carlo Baggio, Guus Michels & Sir Luis Zagallo being my favourites so far.

I always play as on of two fictional characters depending on my mood:

Anthoine Welmisteau - France, aged 40 (semi-pro experience)

Mohammed Khaled - Morocco, aged 54 (automatic experience)

I always start in England and haven't done a league above League 1 since FM07 (not started in it anyway, I've been promoted through the leagues before) so the lack of experience doesn't bother me, it helps me build up my reputation from scratch.

I've always gone with the highest experience, just to make it that little bit easier :D

Same here and then my real name and nationalities because I usually start in a top flight league and it wouldn't be realistic if they appointed a nobody.

Although in my current game I'm using a fictional character, mr. Johnny English from England with automatic experience because I started in the Blue Square South with a team I created myself where I try to become as successful as possible using only the club's own youth players, and if that was IRL they'd probably have an English manager :p

I use my name as it appears on my profile here, SJ Funk (only if Im on the databases that contain myself as a player.) However if I am doing a random game without me on the players list then I'll Use my real name.

Both times I use my nationality but with a different experience.

I always use my real name these days, but I had an alter-ego for a while called Joe Carabali. He was from New Zealand, but had Colombia as second nationality as his surname comes from a Colombian centre back I had on an FM2006 save. I assume I chose Joe as my middle name is Joseph.

I only made up this character for a save game I had on FM2006 where I planned to manage the New Zealand national team, and the NZ Knights in the A-League, and I wanted to ensure I got the national job when I applied for it. In the end I decided I didn't want to manage the Knights and just managed the national team.

I used the name on a couple of other saves, but I don't tend to anymore.

Mac - England

Macces - Spain

Macanov - Russia

Macavinski - Ukraine

Macaldinho - Brazilian

You get the idea lol.

I read somewhere that dinho means little in Brazil so Robinho (little prince) Ronaldinho (little Ronaldo).

Brazilian chacitas might be curious to know how you got that name, especially if you're a big lad. ;)

Real everything, but that's mostly because I'm lazy. I fill everything in once then just click on my name in the recent users list every time I start a new game.

Real name, semi-real other. Least experience possible ... I forget the setting, whatever it is. I give myself dual ciitizenship (U.S. and Spain), because I want to be able to speak Spanish (which I do in real life) and that's the way to make it happen (plus in real life I think I'm eligible for dual citizenship). Finally, I give the real day and month of my birthday, but change the year to make myself 40 years old at the start of the game. 40 is arbitrary ... I just don't want to use my real age (56) because if I managed to get a game going for many years, I'd be too old in the game to continue managing :-).

Mac - England

Macces - Spain

Macanov - Russia

Macavinski - Ukraine

Macaldinho - Brazilian

You get the idea lol.

I do that like you, too. :)

Archived