Composure Vs Finishing

Say that the following 3 strikers are equal in all stats apart from the following.

1 - Finishing 18 Composure 10

2 - Finishing 14 Composure 14

3 - Finishing 10 Composure 18

Who would be likely to score more goals?

I have had a couple of strikers that have low composure but high finishing and they have been great its rare that they miss many chances. The equal ones seem to score more regularly and be a bit more consistent although over a season they might not bag as many goals. I have not had a player with low finishing and high composure if I have they are midfielders and usually score from long range than one on ones.

So what would you prefer all players are equal apart from the above stats 1, 2 or 3?

Most definately number 1.

A player with an 18 finishing stat will score good goals from the edge of the box and at difficult angles, whereas the 14 will need many more clear cut chances to score as many as the one with 18 for finishing.

What would be more interesting is whether people would go for someone with 15 finishing and 15 composure over 18 and 10.

That extra digit makes a big difference as I see 15 as the minimum needed for a top striker.

Most definately number 1.

A player with an 18 finishing stat will score good goals from the edge of the box and at difficult angles, whereas the 14 will need many more clear cut chances to score as many as the one with 18 for finishing.

I dont think it works that way.What if you had AMC with passing 20 and creativity 1 or the opposite?I agree that finishing is more important than composure but not that much.I think that finishing and composure should merge in one stat cus i still havent seen a striker who has world class shoot accuracy but misses every time his one on one with the keeper.

A player like Robbie Keane has low composure, but excellent technical ability and average shooting.

finishing:14, composure:9, technique:17 (i dont have the game open and dont know his stats but Id say thats what they should be).

I hope that makes sense.

it's definately between 1 and 2 but then i think it all depends on what other stats these strikers have such as pace, flair etc.

it's also valuable to note that composure is useful for more than just finishing chances.

i quite like strikers that have the 14 finishing 14 composure because they often have really good technique, pace and flair. like fernando torres on FM07

I would go for number 1, only because 10 is way too low for finishing.

There's other things I look at, for as striker. For example I would rather have a striker with 20 pace and 17 finishing that the other way around. If they can get past defenders easier they can get into a position thats easier to score.

There are other things to look at too obviously but thats just one example. If the stats were as extreme as yours I wouldn't sign a striker with 10 pace for Arsenal even if all the other striker stats were 17+

Say that the following 3 strikers are equal in all stats apart from the following.

1 - Finishing 18 Composure 10

2 - Finishing 14 Composure 14

3 - Finishing 10 Composure 18

Who would be likely to score more goals?

I have had a couple of strikers that have low composure but high finishing and they have been great its rare that they miss many chances. The equal ones seem to score more regularly and be a bit more consistent although over a season they might not bag as many goals. I have not had a player with low finishing and high composure if I have they are midfielders and usually score from long range than one on ones.

So what would you prefer all players are equal apart from the above stats 1, 2 or 3?

IMO the first one will score more goals generaly, but in one-on-one situations the third one is likely to score a lot more. It also depends on how they handle the pressure in certain situations, especially in one-on-one situations. Anyway my choice is number one. :thup:

I don't think composure works like that. If my player goes through on goal against Yeovil Towns GK in the 3rd round of the FA cup it works the same as if he goes through against Madrid in the champions league final. Composure is done game to game I would assume. Hidden attributes of Pressure and Big Matches would contribute more than Composure.

I don't know if thats right but thats the way I would view it.

I think it depends on what kind of striker and what kind of team you have. If your team creates lots of one on ones with the keeper for your striker, having a high composure striker is recommended. On the other hand, if you are a struggling team looking for your strikers to do something special to grab the odd goal for you to win the game, you would want higher finishing stats I feel. Then again, he might miss the one easy chance your team gets....

I don't think that's right. Composure limits the player's ability to finish, in any given situation. For example, a striker may have the ability to finish and can do so when the pressure's off, or when it's a snap shot, but if the striker has low composure, even though he has the ability to finish, he may not do so when pressure is on him, say in a one on one situation, or when under pressure from a defender and having to squeeze a shot in.

Example: Marlon Harewood, scores goals mostly from when he gets a chance but doesn't have to think. Give him too much time and he invariably messes it up. For me, he would have decent finishing but poor composure.

It is too complicated i think, as composure affects a players ability to finish. Therefore a player shouldnt be able to have high finishing if they have low composure

Forlan is an example of why you are wrong. He can finish brilliantly from outside the area scores some great goals from tight angles and good snap shots. He can also miss from 5 yards when given too much time.

I think that finishing and composure should merge in one stat cus i still havent seen a striker who has world class shoot accuracy but misses every time his one on one with the keeper.

What about Bendtner? Not a world class finisher but he is still a very good finisher but his composure so often lets him down.

I go for Finishing, Composure, Technique, Decisions, Anticipation for a striker

Pretty much my thinking.

Physical attributes (pace and/or jumping) are all well and good, but I'll take a striker who can out-think the opposition above one who's just fast or big.

Also, IMO, Acceleration is better than pace. Having a high top speed only really comes into play when you've got a lot of space to run into.

Thierry Henry was always the classic example of that - not a terrific finisher by any means, but all his other attributes meant he got plenty of goals.

I'd go for Option 2 in the OP also.

Huh???, Henry was an absolute assasian infront of goal in his prime, i will not have any of this, you sound like your're describing agbonlahor......

thats because vagner love has high finishing, high composure, high technique, high pretty much every physical stat, high pretty much everything. hes pretty much the best striker in the game. i really do hope that the cska moscow researcher got replaced after that. especially considering zhirkov is also one of the best wingers in the world.

thats because vagner love has high finishing, high composure, high technique, high pretty much every physical stat, high pretty much everything. hes pretty much the best striker in the game. i really do hope that the cska moscow researcher got replaced after that. especially considering zhirkov is also one of the best wingers in the world.

i agree that vagner love is crazy and that Zhirkov could be downscaled but considering Zhirkov has been described as the Russian Ronaldinho i don't think he is massively overrated. Otherwise why would chelsea sign him?

On the older games it was only physical attributes that really mattered. A striker with 10 for finishing and composure, but 15+ for most physical attributes could create plenty of chances for himself. Scoring 3 out of 10 chances in a game was more useful than a striker that only got 3 chances a game but could score 2 or 3 of them.

Thierry Henry was always the classic example of that - not a terrific finisher by any means, but all his other attributes meant he got plenty of goals.

I'd go for Option 2 in the OP also.

Henry was a brilliant finisher. So was Pele. However, if you asked someone to name the best finishers of all time, they'd probably not think of those two for a while, because their all-round game was so good and finishing is something we tend to associate with more "raw" players. Psychological trick alone IMO.

I'd go for 14-14 but I'm not sure it would make much difference. For a striker, I see them as very similar attributes. However, if I was going for an attacking midfielder I'd want the 10-18 player, because the composure would matter so much more then.

Henry's shots-to-goals ratio in the Prem was really poor wasn't it?

Romario the best finisher imo.

He took free kicks and stuff though, didn't he? Shots-to-goal is devilish stat because it doesn't take account of other things, like distance of shot, difficulty of shot, and so forth. Henry took a lot of tricky shots.

I'd also like to point out that last time I checked, no player had a shots on target-to-goal ratio of much above 1 in 4, but that was back when Ronaldo "only" got 15 goals a season!

Hard to pick out a best, but Van Nistelrooy, the two Brazilians mentioned, Henry and Baggio are the best of my life time.

Henry's shots-to-goals ratio in the Prem was really poor wasn't it?

Romario the best finisher imo.

Gotta agree, Romario was the best I ever saw playing. Overall though Gerd Muller would have 20 for both on FM 68 goals in 62 caps for West Germany 565 games with 489 goals overall is amazing. With Henry would it just not be the fact that he shot from outside the area and attempted long range shots more than the average goal poacher?

Its obvious that in FM you would aim for a player with high ratings in both areas. Although if a player has good technique, first touch, anticipation that can make up for low composure from my experiences.

Have you seen how Vagner have played last year autumn? The 9.3.0 database values were based on his form from that period. He definitely was one of best strikers in the world that time. Zhirkov also had an exceptional 2008 year.

It would be easier to notice if CSKA played in CL 2008/2009 but we were in UEFA cup.

Have you seen how Vagner have played last year autumn? The 9.3.0 database values were based on his form from that period. He definitely was one of best strikers in the world that time. Zhirkov also had an exceptional 2008 year.

It would be easier to notice if CSKA played in CL 2008/2009 but we were in UEFA cup.

On the other hand, he's basically given a free reign to become one of the best strikers in the world, which is so far off the mark it's not funny. He's good but remember that he doesn't play in a top league like Torres and Ronaldo. Good striker yes, but world class probably not. He's not even better than Luís Fabiano but his outrageous attributes meant that Vágner Love would walk into the Brazil team, while he's no longer there any more in real life.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, they say...

This should be an experiment, all the strikers in a team should have 15 for all skills apart from Finishing and Composure and those skills would be 1), 2) and 3) in three save games going from the example at the top of the screen. It would be interesting to see the results, my guess would be that they would go in the same order as stated above (1, 2, 3) but we'd have to see...

I'd agree to do it but I have some stuff for college and... well I'm too lazy

Archived