FM2010 blogs - tactics (pt 2) & touchline shouts

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have just finished reading and watching blog 8. I am not sure about the touchline instructions, I am afraid that it will have to drastic an effect on the final score when the shouts are done right (they are in the game, so SI must have made sure they have a great influence). The overal tactics and player instructions pre match and at half time should decide the overall team performance. Touch line instruction should have little but sometimes a nice bonus effect.

In real life touch line shouts from a manager hardly ever has any effect on the match. You see Benitez scream like crazy during a match but it does not differ all that much. So very curious how touchline instructions will change the course of a match.

Also it has been raised before, but the video again mainly shows endless passing. Besides that I am seeing very passive defenders. I am not seeing flying tackles from defenders, they are just standing there and letting the attackers control balls and pass them around. Where is the good closing down? And where are dribbling attackers?

I am not complaining about the overall look, but judging from the videos the gameplay does not seem very realistic yet. Hope it will be in the endproduct.

Whilst the old options are still there (like mentality, closing down, run with ball, long shots etc), there are also a few new options: "wide play" and "roam from position" for outfield players; and "distribute to" for goalkeepers.

Umm... correct me if I am wrong, but we were able to set the goalkeepers distribution in previous games. This isn't a new feature (although if it actually works for once, that WILL be a new feature, as my keeper always ignores my requests) Also, isn't roam from position just a fancy way of saying Free Role?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for new features, however these do not sound like new features at all... the only new one out of those three is wide play, which in fact sounds suspiciously like the cross from option we currently have.

However, I may stand corrected?

All sounds good! :thup:

The only thing that worries me is in the video from 5 seconds to 8 seconds the players all pass the ball to each other with headers... 3 headers in a row without the ball even touching the ground! To me thats not realistic, since when do u see the pro's in attack passing it to each other with headers?! I don't even see it for the saturday team i play for lol.

Do you think its realistic?

Have just finished reading and watching blog 8. I am not sure about the touchline instructions, I am afraid that it will have to drastic an effect on the final score when the shouts are done right (they are in the game, so SI must have made sure they have a great influence). The overal tactics and player instructions pre match and at half time should decide the overall team performance. Touch line instruction should have little but sometimes a nice bonus effect.

In real life touch line shouts from a manager hardly ever has any effect on the match. You see Benitez scream like crazy during a match but it does not differ all that much. So very curious how touchline instructions will change the course of a match.

Also it has been raised before, but the video again mainly shows endless passing. Besides that I am seeing very passive defenders. I am not seeing flying tackles from defenders, they are just standing there and letting the attackers control balls and pass them around. Where is the good closing down? And where are dribbling attackers?

I am not complaining about the overall look, but judging from the videos the gameplay does not seem very realistic yet. Hope it will be in the endproduct.

i agree with you. the ME doesnt look realistic at all.

also why is the stadium shadow on the pitch so weird? i have never seen such a thing in real life.

Still see the same weird animations, like the goalkeeper. it just looks like FM09 to me :s

Yea for me too.Maybe FM's ME is better that CM's but CM has far batter animations and graphics that are a lot smoother on my laptop that those of FM 2009.

Touchline instructions are a great addition, as long as they are used mostly to prevent you from always going into the tactic menu. SI has still to make pre-match and half-time talks sensible and I would be very disappointed if they introduced another system with such an uncertain impact.

I am actually surprised they haven't said anything about fixing the pre and half time talks since they were one of the most unrealistic, unbalanced and non-sensical features of 09.

They also still haven't answered my repeated questions if we are going to see skilled players dribble past opponents (a very important and realistic segment of football) and how will wingers behave, meaning will they be able to actually cross the ball without striking to the defenders all the time?

Would be interesting if somehow during a match, the referee can send us to the stands and we're unable to give pitch side instructions.

But that would only work if there was a 'shout at referee' instruction we could use.

Perhaps there will be a 'Kick a plastic bottle & get sent to the stands' feature :D

Umm... correct me if I am wrong, but we were able to set the goalkeepers distribution in previous games.

I agree its already in the game. Unless there is something new about this feature that hasn't been revealed yet then its not a new feature at all.

Again, no runs, really. Instant passing, or just standing with the ball looking to offload it as soon as possible.

Maybe these aren't world stars like Ronaldo or anything like that, but uh... they aren't scared little children who want to give the ball away at the first opportunity, they're professional footballers. Where are the runs? The dribbling past opponents? Where's the closing down to tackle?

Again, no runs, really. Instant passing, or just standing with the ball looking to offload it as soon as possible.

Maybe these aren't world stars like Ronaldo or anything like that, but uh... they aren't scared little children who want to give the ball away at the first opportunity, they're professional footballers. Where are the runs? The dribbling past opponents? Where's the closing down to tackle?

That's my point exactly but I haven't got any answers to my questions from SI. Yet they are keen to answer every unimportant enquiry about stands and flashes.

Players are just exchanging passes until there is an opening. They have space but they do not run, they can't dribble and if the crosses remain as last year, it will be a major disappointment.

I just hoped that after all these years some basic realistic stuff would take place in the engine. Please let it be so they are in this time.

That match engine footage is really disappointing, for the points already listed above and for the first goal. Why is the keeper not running to close down the attacker? basically just strolls out shuffling along. If that was real life, pretty sure the goalkepper wouldn't move out that slowly. Out of all the footage you could of chosen to show of the game SI, you chose to show that?!

The touchline shouts are only making small adjustments to the sliders, without the need for you to leave the match and go into the tactics screen. There is no 'when the shouts are done right', there is only 'when you recognise a threat or weakness and make the right tactical choice'. The shouts, by definition can only going to be as effective as the manager's decision making allows.

I think everyone should wait for the demo before slagging the game off, they've said all along the videos we're seeing are works in progress... after all, they don't have to make blogs and videos but I'm kinda grateful they do!

Anyway, just a quick question for SI staff or those who play FML, do the shouts only work if you're in TV view? I don't tend to play the game that way, and just prefer to watch key highlights at the most but I still want to make full use of the new features!

I think everyone should wait for the demo before slagging the game off, they've said all along the videos we're seeing are works in progress... after all, they don't have to make blogs and videos but I'm kinda grateful they do!

I don't think asking "will the players be able to dribble past opponents like in real football or will the crosses be more realistic" is slagging the game off. Not after watching the footage. We understand that this is work in progress but it is what they decided to show. The footage does not show what we expect to see so we ask if some things will be available.

No slagging off. Just asking some honest questions and waiting for some honest answers.

edit: Sorry it's a off topic but these issues have been discussed to the death and I'd hate to open yet another thread. Some more bugs/incosistencies/plaing wrong that remain in the game and just came to me while I was playing 09:

1) I am no 1 in European Rankings and in my last year I win the tremble with ManU, the year is 2017. Yet, in the after season standings I managed to fall in second place while Chelsea, which didn't even qualify for CL steps up to no 1.

2) I am making a transfer offer of 12m for a player that costs 7m. He is in squad rotation and I am hoping I can buy him of Chelsea without much fuss. They come proposing I should pay 20m. I negotiate and and raise my bid to 15m. They come back asking 32m.

3) In my year there are no World Class managers except myself and Brian Eastick (he is the manager of England's U19). I became World Class after winning the French league with Pari, in my first year(!). Instead, Jose Murinho drops from World Class in the first year for no apparent reason (there is no logical reason since he was managing and was doing great) and has remained since. He is continental now even after winning the campionato twice in a row.

It's these things that spoil all the fun in the game and they have been around for years. I manage to work around them in my mind each time because I enjoy the game as a whole, but this is not enough. We should be asking for serious things to be fixed and not the flashes or stands or the weather conditions.

Just my opinion, sorry for the off topic.

I don't think asking "will the players be able to dribble past opponents like in real football or will the crosses be more realistic" is slagging the game off. Not after watching the footage. We understand that this is work in progress but it is what they decided to show. The footage does not show what we expect to see so we ask if some things will be available.

No slagging off. Just asking some honest questions and waiting for some honest answers.

....And you would expect these videos to show the best of FM10, if something stands out as "wrong" then that is a real concern!

Maybe we do need as SI response, as requested.

I have one thing to ask, I love the new ME i notice a big difference from 09 (which some people don't seem to). Anyways after someone asked about the goal nets moving when i goal is scored the answer was "No comment at this stage". So does that mean that this is something you plan to show us later on or perhaps in future FMs? Good job on the game guys! Will definately be buying ;)

I have one thing to ask, I love the new ME i notice a big difference from 09 (which some people don't seem to). Anyways after someone asked about the goal nets moving when i goal is scored the answer was "No comment at this stage". So does that mean that this is something you plan to show us later on or perhaps in future FMs? Good job on the game guys! Will definately be buying ;)

Or maybe they just want people to find some stuff out for themselves in the demo :)

No one is saying the game is crap, we're pointing out that the videos shown so far have shown passing almost exclusively. Asking whether this is the norm for FM2010 is not "slagging it off" at all. FM09 features a lot of runs/dribbling/etc... (even if the dribbling isn't necessarily all that visible). An increase in passing was expected, but not to the exclusion of runs.

Why do some people see constructive criticism immediately as slagging a game? I think a few of us are raising valid points about what we are seeing so far (only passing, hardly any good defending, no dribbling). If SI is trying to make this game appealing and has a good sense of marketing a game you would guess they would show footage of excellent game play. I am not slagging the game, I am just questioning the things SI is deciding to show to us. Surely there must be better and more attractive videos to show than the ones we have seen so far? Or is the game still so much work in progress? In that case we should start to worry about needing 3 patches before having an enjoyable realistic game.

But do not get me wrong, I value SI dearly for always being very transparent with what they are doing. I also still have confidence in the finished product. What I am seeing so far however from the match engine I am feeling a bit let down. And also the stadiums are not what I was hoping for (no skyboxes, the chairs are always red, the green in the corners and even above the stands looks weird). Adding stuff just to be added is not SI's policy I know, but looking at these videos it all looks too much work in progress to close before deadline.

YIKES. The graphics and animation look to have gotten a slight upgrade but to me the ME looks very similar to FM 09, and looks very disappointing.

The tactics and touychline stuff I used in FML and it was OK but if that is the big new features....wow it could be a tough year for FM.

Sorry, I wasn't specifically meaning you were slagging the game off but I've read through a fair amount of threads recently and seem some pretty short-sighted views on the game, the new features and the responses from SI. I'm sure you would agree we're treated pretty well, not every company goes to such lengths to please it's customers but I'd much rather they focused on making the game better than take part in forum debate. Anyway, sorry again.

So, anyone got an answer to my question: Do the shouts only work if you're in TV view? I don't tend to play the game that way, and just prefer to watch key highlights at the most but I still want to make full use of the new features!

I find it hard to understand why people are aiming criticism at the game based on recorded video footage. They are all tagged "work in progress" and we have no idea when these videos were made. They could be quite old for all we know. Maybe criticism would be more constructive after everyone has had a chance to play the demo?

I find it hard to understand why people are aiming criticism at the game based on recorded video footage. They are all tagged "work in progress" and we have no idea when these videos were made. They could be quite old for all we know. Maybe criticism would be more constructive after everyone has had a chance to play the demo?

That is why we are asking some questions, because we don't want to condemn the game by looking at some w.i.p. footage. And we don't expect analytical answers either. But we don't get answers to the questions we ask, while at the same time we see SI being around and answering other, less important enquiries.

I don't see why we should refrain from speaking our minds, especially when we don't get some simple answers and, more importantly, when the issues we raise have been around for years and we expect -each year- to be fixed.

It is only logical for some of us to ask about things we care to be fixed, in my opinion at least. If SI says "yes, skilled players will be able to dribble past opponents, like in real football" then we will stop asking that question and also stop criticizing the w.i.p. footage because, then, we will indeed know the footage is w.i.p.

Get it? :)

The videos could indeed be quite old. Why not show us some newer more intresting video's? :) That is the point I am trying to make. I am sure FM2010 is a lot better than the footage being shown. Therefore I am questioning what SI has decided to show us. Surely they could have seen these questions coming?

If we would see video's in which a skillful player dribbles nicely, a defender shows some strong defensive skills, an attacking midfielder rip up a defense with a through ball, a goalkeeper making a fantastic safe, we would not be commenting the game so far. After all the hundreds of hours of work on the game one would say that SI must have footage of spectacular moments even if it is W.I.P.

What most of us want here is to be dazzled, especially after the hype SI has been creating about FM2010 (their best football manager game so far according to SI). It would be nice to be reassured a little that we won't be buying a game which is w.i.p. like previous fm's were.

Still going to buy the game, still think it will be a good one. I just can not understand the hype yet and people cheering about the video footage of the match engine. I think FM2009 patch 9.3 looks better compared to what I have seen so far, where I had expected a giant leap forward in FM2010.

There are a lot more shouts there than we currently have in FML, and I'm pleased to see the extra additions.

All these do is offer a one-click 'shout' which tweaks your current tactical settings. So 'Play Wider' will tweak your Passing Focus and Width settings iirc, and so on. Saves going into the tactics screen, and breaking the immersion of watching the game. The shouts are great in FML - you feel like you're actually on the touchline shouting to your players.

My way of playing in FML is actually to only set up one base tactic and use the shouts (and the overall mentality, i.e whether I am countering, controlling etc.) to tweak how the team plays. So facing a flat 4-5-1, I will tend to 'Push Higher Up' and 'Play Narrower' to reduce space in midfield and try to isolate the striker, especially if he's slow. If he's fast, then pushing up would be risky.

What this means is that for those who don't like tweaking - tweaking will get really quick and easy, and you will most likely want to do it for every game now as it will be so simple. For those who do like tweaking and pretending to understand sliders - well, you lot can carry on as you were or use the new system :)

As for people complaining about the videos not showing anything new... I'm not sure what you're expecting tbh, it's still a football simulator. It's not suddenly going to morph into Speedball 2 :D

it's still a football simulator.

That's why we are asking all those questions. It is still a long ways off to be a football simulator. You have to do at least some basic things right to be considered a simulation. FM is still in the process of trying, that's why we try to improve it with constructive criticism.

I disagree. I think it's a wonderful achievement already, and another year of development will surely only have improved that even further. I can't wait.

FM2009 is a wonderful achievement and I am betting that fm2010 will be improved as well. All I am saying is that the videos we are seeing of fm2010 are flawed. If the videos reflect how the game will be then we are taking a step backward compared to fm2009. I am not willing to debate the game itself yet since I have not played the demo. I am debating what SI decided to show us. The writtend words about fm2010 are not yet corresponding with the video's.

I get excited every year and pray for some kind of configurable auto-pause so that I don't sail to the end of the match without doing any substitutions if I get distracted (by the wife). Better would be able to say "If a player drops below 75% condition, pause." or something! Maybe 2011? :)

Archived