Differences between using real players and not at start?

I am looking to start a new game, and am just wondering about what happens if you untick the "use real players" box when generating a game.

The reason I am asking is that the common answer is that if you untick the box and generate a game, the same players will appear as in real life, but with different names. So for example Steven Gerrard will be an English AM RC with identical stats, but a different name.

And this is true, to an extent. But there are differences.

For example, I did a comparison of Liverpool real vs simulated, and there seemed quite a few differences. While Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher were present and correct under a new alias, there were no Torres or Daniel Agger. They were some new youngsters with different nationalities, that I couldnt match up, and older very expensive players in the reserves that were awful.

So I was just wondering if anyone knows what precisely changes when you untick that box.

Thanks.

Absolutely nothing, all the game does is generate different names for the players which, if you have knowledge of the league/team, is usually pretty easy to work out.

When I did an example yesterday, more things changed than just the name.

For example, Liverpool had 4 Turkish youngsters, we dont have that many on the books. Other nationalities had changed too. Plus some players had simply disappeared. If only the names had changed, where was Torres?

Absolutely nothing, all the game does is generate different names for the players which, if you have knowledge of the league/team, is usually pretty easy to work out.

Name, nationality, age, attributes, value, squad status, positional cover etc etc, all change. How do you work that out?

I used it for a story once, a long time ago, and it's actually quite good fun, though you do end up pining for the real players eventually.

mostly it's just a lot of name changes.

i tried this on older versions for a change and was quite dissapointed. it's hardly the "brave new world" described in the manual. there are a few re-gens but it would be awesome to have a wholely regenrated world to play in from the start

mostly it's just a lot of name changes.

i tried this on older versions for a change and was quite dissapointed. it's hardly the "brave new world" described in the manual. there are a few re-gens but it would be awesome to have a wholely regenrated world to play in from the start

Yeah true, but you'd need to make sure the ability of the teams stays roughly the same.

The biggest advantage is simply that it means you have to use your scouts much more to find players.

If you never use scouts - for whatever reason - you'll either hate the feature or be convinced to start using scouts.

Also, if you enjoy bragging to your friends about who you just managed to sign, you'll find nothing worth bragging about here.

The fact that this feature just randomizes names, age, nationality, CA (but not PA I think), makes it really disappointing, as it becomes a game of "match the player". It would be much more fun to get a world full of newgens... When I want to play with fictional players, I will simply let the game on holiday for some 15 years and then join some team - unfortunately this is a very lengthy process...

I experimented a little with this in FM2008 and it seemed to me that name, nationality, age and CA could change but position(s) and PA couldn't. So C. Ronaldo could turn out as an average 27-year-old Swedish winger but with huge PA that he probably couldn't fulfill. He could also turn out as a 15-year-old English winger with potential to become the best in the world. Or he could just turn into a 24-year-old Portuguese winger who is amongst the best in the world.

And IIRC you can always see who is who by looking at squad numbers ;)

Archived