Premier League Play-Off

Playoffs are actually in the Premier League rules as a last-resort tiebreaker. The order of tiebreakers is as follows: points -> goal differential -> goals scored -> playoff at neutral venue. In your case, Hull and West Ham were level on points, goal differential, and number of goals scored, thus forcing a playoff. The odds of that happening are incredibly slim, but it IS possible.

Guest Von Scharpling

If this is actually in the rule book then this answers a question of mine.. I remember someone once said it goes alphabetically but that doesn't make a lot of sense or else teams would be called aaamanchester united just to make sure.

• Administrators

RE Post #6 - Head to head is a factor in Spain, I remember. I don't think it is in EPL as it would be in the rules page.

I don't think head-to-head would be fair because the circumstances surrounding their matches might be different at the time so to have that in as a rule wouldn't be fair (in my opinion), and why the playoff is a good idea.

Fantastic to see it in!

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=128591

Had this happen to me on a save a while ago...

A bit further down the league-system but still

Prolly an even more extreme case, with the same amount of wins draws & losses, and they both won 2-1 at home vs each other:p And to top that, the play-off between them (50% - 50% possession ofc^^) went to penalties.

There was only a playoff because of fighting for relegation (or if it was top 8), and i'm assuming they tied both games as I thought head to head counted. Although if this was to happen in the middle of the table then it would go by alphebetical order I believe.

More specifically, there's a playoff if and only if the difference in placing matters. i.e. for 1st, for the last ECC spot, for the last EC spot, for the last automatic promotion spot, for the last promotion playoff spot, and against relegation.

A play off for the Premier League title irl would be absolutely amazing. I wonder what the viewing figures would be

Last year that happened in the Belgian league. Was kinda cool although they shouldn't have done it with home and away matches. It also decided for a direct CL spot btw.

• Administrators

Hypothetically, if this happened IRL, it would presumably be a success.

Reckon Scudamore would push for it to be a regular thing? Perhaps even a playoff of the top four?:

Semis

Third Place to decide 3rd CL spot

Final to decide title?

no I wasnt aware what are the chances........................must be the same as forcasting the lottery numbers!!!!!!!!

if anybody saw the derren brown thing were he sort of showed how he predicted the lottery, he said on that that you are more likely to die in the hour before the lottery is drawn than win the lottery. unless you can predict it.

Archived