Faceinthegame: I hope it is not in Football Manager 2010

'Faceinthegame' is something that I never liked about FM09. It is completely unrealistic to insert the developers' names into the game with spoof personality profiles. Such easter eggs are nice on less serious games, but this is a management sim. The game should be trying to emulate real life, and in real life there are no footballers with such ridiculous personalities (or the names of SI employees).

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind a little lighthearted relief, but it should be a choice. The problem was that some of the spoof players actually became good players. That meant top clubs had spoof footballers in their team. That really harmed the game's realism. If it was my decision I would not have 'faceinthegame' in my game. If it is included in FM10 then there should at least be the option to turn it off.

Do you think 'faceinthegame' should be in FM10, despite the fact it is unrealistic? Should the players that like a realistic game have the option to turn it off?

IIRC they are there mainly to fill out any spaces that are empty in youth teams. Only a few have the easter egg personalities, not too bothered with it really, nice when you buy one of them, then you find out who it is on the forums.

A few (mostly **** anyway) players don't harm my game experience IMO.

In all seriousness, why does it matter? They are no different to any other regen, the fact they are SI employees does not affect their development, potential or ability at all.

If you are being serious, and you really do take a game this seriously, I politely suggest that you start spending a little less time on it.

arsenal_2111, it matters because other regens have normal personality profiles with randomised names. 'Faceinthegame' regens have spoof personality profiles and the names of SI staff. One is realistic, the other clearly is not.

Also, wanting a serious game is different to taking a game seriously. I play sports games because they are realistic/serious, otherwise I'd be playing RPGs or shoot'em ups. I like to immerse myself in a game world as close to reality as possible. FM models itself on realism. 'Faceinthegame' hinders the realism.

oh boy people complain about everything , dude dont like, it dont use it , if you dont use it it wont ruin your perfect game >.> .

its not like every regen has it , if it shows in a scout report ignore it and move along

personally i thing its fun touch to the game

arsenal_2111, it matters because other regens have normal personality profiles with randomised names. 'Faceinthegame' regens have spoof personality profiles and the names of SI staff. One is realistic, the other clearly is not.

Names of SI staff is hardly unrealistic, there's always the chance that a regen could have one anyway.

The scout profiles are still mostly realistic, there are 2 sections that have joke scout report sections, although they don't always show up as joke reports (I've tested scouting some in my current game and a normal scout profile appears)

Rather than take it out, just insert the joke personality line above the real ones?

Perfectly logical solution

oh boy people complain about everything , dude dont like, it dont use it

You can't choose not to use it, there's no "off" button for the function.

To be honest, I find it a humorous feature that doesn't affect gameplay. They should insert a randomized personality above the 'spoof' one. But other than that, I don't see the problem. If you could actually explain why you find the faceinthegame a poor addition and exactly why it bothers you so much then I will put across my points.

In all seriousness, why does it matter? They are no different to any other regen, the fact they are SI employees does not affect their development, potential or ability at all.

If you are being serious, and you really do take a game this seriously, I politely suggest that you start spending a little less time on it.

agreed arsenal2111

'Faceinthegame' is something that I never liked about FM09. It is completely unrealistic to insert the developers' names into the game with spoof personality profiles. Such easter eggs are nice on less serious games, but this is a management sim. The game should be trying to emulate real life, and in real life there are no footballers with such ridiculous personalities (or the names of SI employees).

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind a little lighthearted relief, but it should be a choice. The problem was that some of the spoof players actually became good players. That meant top clubs had spoof footballers in their team. That really harmed the game's realism. If it was my decision I would not have 'faceinthegame' in my game. If it is included in FM10 then there should at least be the option to turn it off.

Do you think 'faceinthegame' should be in FM10, despite the fact it is unrealistic? Should the players that like a realistic game have the option to turn it off?

Um...Regens/Newgens? Are they not also spoof?

This one I was managing East Stirilingshire, and I managed to sign them all and we won the champions league first season, clearly has to be looked at.

I mean really off all the things that are wrong with this game you pick funny players personalities.

You couldnt have picked the transfer system, which is more unrealisting that some of the developers being in the game.

Harchester United was a one-off gimmick; I'd like to think faceinthegame will be too. You could turn off Harchester [counter-intuitively, by ticking the box!!] - at the very least, this feature ought to be (un)selectable, as has been suggested.

Harchester was a right pain. It seemed that the default was to be "included" so I got well into a career game - too late then! - before these annoying fakies started to take over the England team. Very very annoying!. Please SI make all fantasy options disenabled as default.

The personality takes up one line which could be used to provide a key insight into a player's personality. This can be frustrating.

Easter eggs are frowned upon in serious development as they provide users with unexpected consequences. Especially if it can't be disabled.

Most of the SI guys do play football competitively, and I suspect a few are involved with some coaching roles - so it's hardly The Most Unrealistic And Annoying Thing Ever. The SI guys in the game are all rubbish anyway - and you could always delete them in the editor anyway; they've a right to put themselves in in the first place though...

faceinthegame actually refers to something completely different anyway - when people sent in photos to be used for regens. I'd assume that that will never be repeated - we've got the Facegen tech for that now.

Imagine Everton scouts playing the game and signing Miles on a freak high PA game. :)

To me, it just adds a bit of fun. I wouldn't be too serious about it. Just take them as regen players for the 1st season. Besides, most of them dun turn out good fairly. :)

Everton scouts use the data base, not a save file, unless I'm much mistaken. They definitely wouldn't be stupid enough to sign a regen.

Most of the SI guys do play football competitively, and I suspect a few are involved with some coaching roles - so it's hardly The Most Unrealistic And Annoying Thing Ever. The SI guys in the game are all rubbish anyway - and you could always delete them in the editor anyway; they've a right to put themselves in in the first place though...

faceinthegame actually refers to something completely different anyway - when people sent in photos to be used for regens. I'd assume that that will never be repeated - we've got the Facegen tech for that now.

It did do that in FM07, but since then it does SI staff post-generation as well as a few others. As far as I can tell, they aren't the original faceinthegame names.

I'd agree with fake players honoring SI developers be introduced after a certain year, say 2009 (or 2010) + 10 years, which is when the system has to start generating more and more new players. In this case, I'd not mind such displays of narcissism, and I'd hope that this is the plan of developers to not to spoil the game.

:thup::thup:

its just a game ;)

I thought the personality thing was funny, but agree that it's annoying that you don't see their actual personality, so Neji's solution should be used if this is kept in the game.

I've played FM09 quite a lot and only Philip Rolfe (half-decent at Blackburn) and Gordon Dunbar (amazing defender for me, sold for £55m :D) have amounted to anything in all of my games.

The OP is annoyed at how unrealistic it is, but the only unrealistic parts are the personalities :confused:

At the end of the day the name of a regen doesn't matter, and the stats are random so they are identical to regens bar one difference.

Lighten up FGS

Archived