Suggestion- Job Roles

I had a idea where when you start the game or when you recieve a contract that you should be given a role by the club which you can negotiate over. The first would be a manager who can control training,matches and transfers. Then a head coach can't control the transfer and a director who cant control training

Are you trying to explain that you'd like to be able to manage the team, but not worry about finding the transfers or setting up training practices, and not worrying about the PPM's in the game?

That you'd like to have some kind of assistant manager who works on dealing with issues like which youth player gets what player preferred move training (PPM) and who they have as a mentor?

Or a player personnel director who deals with issues related to contract disputes and who gets signed from the transfer market? For example, you have a list of players you wish to sign and then its up to the player personnel director to sign those players they choose?

If so, I think it would be brilliant! Cause the last time I checked, I didn't think Rafa Benitez dealt with contract negotiations and he was concerned about who was being brought to the club because they weren't the players he had asked for....

I have never seen a director on the sideline.

Its pretty rare but a few years ago now irl Jim McLean was both manager and chairman of Dundee United in Scotland. Can't remember if it was ever in any version of the game though! I don't think the majority of people would like your idea though since the game is called Football Manager not Football Director or Chairman.

Guest Von Scharpling

I think it could work if it was just a case of having transfer powers being kept with a director of football or something. You then would decide if the job was worth the loss of some freedom. Maybe it could also happen after a club is taken over which is something we see irl, in which case you could issue an ultimatum, try and work in the new system or walk away.

I have always been a fan of being able to take other roles other then Manager. But at the same time i can understand how it could be hard to implement into FM.

You look at Foootball Manager IRL, a lot of Manager first have a job as a coach and then work there way up. In the FM world perhaps it could be used as a way of gaining reputation if its low or for some reason your are getting no jobs as manager.

Its not just as simple as coaches are in charge of Training because that should always be done by the Manager if they are human or AI. an Old Version of FIFA manager flirted with coaching but through the manager through the use of training Drills which improve perific areas rather then the FM way of sliders. Perhaps some along those sort of lines could be done for a coach role. Lets say Your assigned attacking coach, You will have an assortment of attacking regimes and you can set them for training but limited by how much time you have depending on How much training is assigned to that area.

But as i said it is hard to implement but if it can be done well without detracting away from the Manager side of the game, which of cause must always be top priority then I would really like that feature.

Why introduce something that would only cut the fun?

This. I agree that it would be more realistic, but there comes a point when more realistic does not equal more fun. Frankly I would not want to accept any job that denied me control of transfers, I think it would take away a disproportionately amount of fun from the game. I wouldn't find it "a challenge" or "a new experience" to not have control. I would find it "a nuisance" and "an unwanted feature". Maybe I could just avoid the jobs which won't give me control of transfers but I think you'd find that doing that would essentially rule me out of upper league management in most continental European countries, and frankly that's too much. I wouldn't want to play a career game where I couldn't leave the UK or had to consciously avoid getting my teams promoted to the top tiers of continental football to avoid having transfer control taken out of my hands.

It's my understanding that SI deliberately have refused to take any action to take away control of transfers from the players for just this reason - it is a massive restriction on the fun of the game.

I have always been a fan of being able to take other roles other then Manager. But at the same time i can understand how it could be hard to implement into FM.

You look at Foootball Manager IRL, a lot of Manager first have a job as a coach and then work there way up. In the FM world perhaps it could be used as a way of gaining reputation if its low or for some reason your are getting no jobs as manager.

Its not just as simple as coaches are in charge of Training because that should always be done by the Manager if they are human or AI. an Old Version of FIFA manager flirted with coaching but through the manager through the use of training Drills which improve perific areas rather then the FM way of sliders. Perhaps some along those sort of lines could be done for a coach role. Lets say Your assigned attacking coach, You will have an assortment of attacking regimes and you can set them for training but limited by how much time you have depending on How much training is assigned to that area.

But as i said it is hard to implement but if it can be done well without detracting away from the Manager side of the game, which of cause must always be top priority then I would really like that feature.

I suppose one way starting as a coach could work is this...

Take a job under a manager at any club. You have the responsibility of organising some or all of the training, but never transfers. Also, you would take control of the reserves and/or the youth team for their matches. If you gain a good reputation for your handling of these things then you're in a good position to apply for proper manager positions elsewhere (or indeed at the same club should the manager resign or be fired).

This is the only way I think it could be done, but personally I think it would have a short shelf-life. For me, boredom would set in very quickly when I was deprived of building my own team from the very beginning.

Archived