Goals to shots ratio.....aaaaargh!!!

It's not a rant, I would just be interested to see if others are experiencing this?

It's Sooo frustrating, you sort a tactic out in previous versions and 8.02 ruins all your hard work!!!

Is it my tactic? Is it my forwards? (I have Ashton and Briand) Or is it a real problem with 8.02?

I play Everton and have 22 shots, 6 on target to their 4 and 1. I draw 1-1 with them scoring an 88th minute equalizer.

I play Chelsea and have 23 shots with 9 on target to their 7 and 3 and

lose 2-1. icon_confused.gif

Saltama in the World Club Championship. Ok I win 1-0 but have 21 shots with 5 on target and they don't have a shot.

Spartak Moscow away they have 5 shots with 4 on target to my 25 shots with 11 on and I lose 2-1.

And my favourite. Away at Juventus. 2-0 up with 19 shots on goal with 16 on target. They have 8 with 4 on. I'm home and dry. Nope, they get 84th and 88th minute goals thanks to an own goal and my full backs qwful pass back to the keeper being intercepted by their striker! icon_mad.gif

It's hard enough with your team cocking up just to let the Al score!!

As I said my tactic worked beautifully in 8.00, the Beta and 8.01. And Briand and Ashton are hardly donkey's in front of goal.

Anyone else have this gripe?

It's not a rant, I would just be interested to see if others are experiencing this?

It's Sooo frustrating, you sort a tactic out in previous versions and 8.02 ruins all your hard work!!!

Is it my tactic? Is it my forwards? (I have Ashton and Briand) Or is it a real problem with 8.02?

I play Everton and have 22 shots, 6 on target to their 4 and 1. I draw 1-1 with them scoring an 88th minute equalizer.

I play Chelsea and have 23 shots with 9 on target to their 7 and 3 and

lose 2-1. icon_confused.gif

Saltama in the World Club Championship. Ok I win 1-0 but have 21 shots with 5 on target and they don't have a shot.

Spartak Moscow away they have 5 shots with 4 on target to my 25 shots with 11 on and I lose 2-1.

And my favourite. Away at Juventus. 2-0 up with 19 shots on goal with 16 on target. They have 8 with 4 on. I'm home and dry. Nope, they get 84th and 88th minute goals thanks to an own goal and my full backs qwful pass back to the keeper being intercepted by their striker! icon_mad.gif

It's hard enough with your team cocking up just to let the Al score!!

As I said my tactic worked beautifully in 8.00, the Beta and 8.01. And Briand and Ashton are hardly donkey's in front of goal.

Anyone else have this gripe?

Definitely tactics. See the relevant forum for detailed advice, but the main things to work on are: 1. closing down, 2. attention to detail re opposition (eg, "never" close down a s***hot winger, or stick TWO people on him), and 3. keep an eye on progress throughout the match. If you have tons of possession - just like on 801 - change the tempo or passing style.

Every team needs a different tactic, and every opposition is able to break it, so tweaks are needed throughout each game. I probably change things at least three times, but more like four or five. Just SMALL tweaks here and there rather than a new formation, which is suicide.

I struggled with Villa in 2016 as soon as I joined, but went with an attacking 442 long ball approach because I had fast wingers and strikers. I have to defend deep when I'm winning by a small margin, and go 4141 in the 82nd minute, with plenty of time wasting.

It's tough, but it ain't a bug.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Definitely tactics. See the relevant forum for detailed advice, but the main things to work on are: 1. closing down, 2. attention to detail re opposition (eg, "never" close down a s***hot winger, or stick TWO people on him), and 3. keep an eye on progress throughout the match. If you have tons of possession - just like on 801 - change the tempo or passing style.

Every team needs a different tactic, and every opposition is able to break it, so tweaks are needed throughout each game. I probably change things at least three times, but more like four or five. Just SMALL tweaks here and there rather than a new formation, which is suicide.

I struggled with Villa in 2016 as soon as I joined, but went with an attacking 442 long ball approach because I had fast wingers and strikers. I have to defend deep when I'm winning by a small margin, and go 4141 in the 82nd minute, with plenty of time wasting.

It's tough, but it ain't a bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With respect I don't think you have understood the problem. There is nothing wrong with my tactics. As you see above creating chances is not the problem. I'm creating a lot of chances but my strikers aren't scoring.

The Opposition get one, maybe two goals tops and as you see I am limiting their chances to a minimum.

My problem is two strikers with good finishing, composure, anticipation and in Briand's case pace are not scoring in 8.02 despite having plenty of opportunities.

One of the big problems in 8.02 is that the Al parks the bus in every game. Again I have short passing with players like Fernandez, Veloso and Van Der Vaart.

There are only so many ideas for instructions you can have for strikers but mine are on :

LF

CF NORMAL

FR MIXED

RWB RARE

TB MIXED

LSH RARE

HUB YES

RF

CF NORMAL

FR OFTEN

RWB OFTEN

TB MIXED

LSH RARE

HUB NO

I argue that it is a set up that many use for their strikers.

This is a striking set up that got loads of goals in 8.00, The Beta's and 8.01.

What more can you do if you are creating loads of chances and not scoring? I repeat Ashton and Briand are not donkeys!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">yes it sounds like 801. you probably contineued your game from 801, right?

there are known issues with continueing from those 2 patches. I didn't notice anything like that on 802. maybe try a new game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm on 8.02 although carrying on a save game since the start. I've started a new season since the patch so changes like the 7 subs have come in etc etc,.

I assumed these patches were save game compatible unless you wanted Data Changes?

I get that occasionally with my Fiorentina and Sampdoria teams, but it is just the way it is - it happens in real life too. Opening day of the season I had 19 shots on goal, 9 on target at home to Atalanta and drew 0-0. UEFA cup at home to Fenerbahce we had over 20 shots on goal, but only netted one, they equalised with their only shot on target of the whole match.

On the other hand I have had games were we have only created 6 shots on target and have netted 4 of them. To say it is tactics is way off in the former case. Sure it may be down to tactics that you concede one to a team who create next to nothing, but the scoring problem is purely down to the players or just luck. I haven't seen it happen in my game to such an extent that I would say it happens more than in real life though - I don't tend to see shots on goal/on target stats for that many real games, but I've seen games were a team peppers the opposition goal and loses 1-0 pften enough.

Hmm, I meant to add - morale of strikers can have a big impact. At Fiorentina Gianpaolo Pazzini didn't score in my first 7 games of the season, I criticised him in the media and he said he was determined to improve and he now has a total of 16 goals in 16(3) games and that includes the 7 where he didn't score.

Think about this logically..which will give a better shots to goals ratio a) tell players to shoot from halfway line b) tell me players to shoot only when in 6 yard box

Always worth a search for these sort of topics. My personal preference is, to have no players on long shots, all offensive players told to look for through balls (players less likely to shoot when low on options)

Try it as an experiement and see you shots to goals ratio get better

8.02 Patch - Any match engine changes will take immediate effect

Sometimes players don't shoot enough if you set them all to through balls though. Including your shots/goals ratio by creating only 5 shots and scoring 1 goal instead of creating 15 shots and scoring 2 goals is not very helpful!

My point is though that before 8.02 I had no problem. Briand was scoring 30 a season and Ashton at least 20.

I have them set on low creativity, and they are getting on the end of things it's just that either the keeper has a mirculous performance or my strikers with finishing skills of 17 and above don't get it on target.

The amount of times I have seen a news item giving the opposition goalkeeper the MOM award... icon_rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't have a problem if I was winning 1-0 after all those shots. What really gets my goat is the Al scoring from it's only effort in the 88th minute or getting an own goal or a penalty off you just to score..

I was scoring more in 8.01 when it was 1 on 1's v the keeper, but the problem now is the Al teams rarely push up and pass the bus in front of their goal.

I mean, one game I beat Liverpool 5-0 and had 35 shots. In the next game I had 28 shots against Cardiff but drew 1-1. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most people (including me) have the opposite - goals were too few in 8.0.1 and are now flying in in 8.0.2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you set your strikers up?? I have attached a link to my tactics and if you get the time would appreciate any advice that you could give me. As I said these worked great in all other versions.

Since then I have tried higher creativity, swapping positions, having a PM rather than a TM. Yet I still batter teams but don't score enough! icon_frown.gif

The link is.

http://hosted.filefront.com/SussexHammer/

I'm using V15. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My problem is two strikers with good finishing, composure, anticipation and in Briand's case pace are not scoring in 8.02 despite having plenty of opportunities </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand the problem and my answer is the same. It was the same in 801. Your shots to goal ratio was a skewed interpretation made by the match engine. You get the tactics right for your players and they score.

For anyone to say that their team's inability to score is a bug is incorrect - especially when you see so many gamers giving advice.

If you are creating chances but not scoring, look at changing the instructions for your strikers, or slowing the pace a litte, or increasing it.

It takes time but with both 801 and 802 you WILL score if you get it right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sussex Hammer:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most people (including me) have the opposite - goals were too few in 8.0.1 and are now flying in in 8.0.2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you set your strikers up?? I have attached a link to my tactics and if you get the time would appreciate any advice that you could give me. As I said these worked great in all other versions.

Since then I have tried higher creativity, swapping positions, having a PM rather than a TM. Yet I still batter teams but don't score enough! icon_frown.gif

The link is.

http://hosted.filefront.com/SussexHammer/

I'm using V15. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not doing anything special with my strikers, there are plenty of tacticians around who do far fancier things with theirs I'm sure - I think mine are just slight tweaks on the default striker option, but I set my entire team to short passing including the striker. I only actually play one striker at Fiorentina and at Bremen, but that makes no difference really - just a different tactic. You should be able to score goals with 1 or 2 strikers upfront. Like I said though, I've had games were we don't score despite creating loads - it's realistic so long as it isn't too regular.

i am having the same problem, with 8.02. i create lots of chances, and concede very few, thus my tactic is good. as i believe, once the player has the ball and is inside the area about to shoot or dribble the GK, tactics matter nothing.

i do not understand how etoo can miss that many 1vs1 and easy shots.

and yes, i am tired of watching how every GK gets MOM against my team.

I have experienced this as well. To be fair though, its something that has been endemic to all Football Managers, at least in my experience.

Too many times I have had around 20 shots, ten on target, many good chances from very close range, only to find the opposition keeper discovering hitherto unknown levels of performance, while at the other end their one striker takes his one chance with aplomb. Shouldnt he be demoralised and out of practice and snatch at his one shot?

Anyway, this normally leads to that infuriating message "Liverpool wont believe they've lost this!"

I wouldnt mind if there was some rationale to it, but if you look at it in turns of possession, action areas, chances, and where those chances occur (not all long-range), my tactic is succeeding. It just seems silly to create a tactic that creates fewer 1 on 1's!

I actually sold Reina for 35mn, because I thought what the hell, he normally lets 1 in 2 shots in so might as well have Carson in goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ispaste:

i am having the same problem, with 8.02. i create lots of chances, and concede very few, thus my tactic is good. as i believe, once the player has the ball and is inside the area about to shoot or dribble the GK, tactics matter nothing.

i do not understand how etoo can miss that many 1vs1 and easy shots.

and yes, i am tired of watching how every GK gets MOM against my team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly the same problem here mate. I started a new game on 8.0.2 as Derby. Not the best team in the premiership, I'll admit, but check out the match against Boro that I had...

Final score was Derby 1 - 2 Boro

Shots were Derby 21 - 3 Boro

On target were Derby 13 - 2 Boro

Lets face it, if people are having this problem with a team like Liverpool, it has to be a bug. I'm getting fed up with reading news reports saying "Derby made to rue missed chances"

What really annoys me in games like this when you are having loads of chances but keeping the opposition out is the fact thath they will equalize or win the game with either a controversial penalty, an own goal courtesy of your centre back who has been rock solid for 89 minutes or your keeper willfail to get to a back pass that is conveniently intercepted by an Al striker!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I got awfully wound up by the new patch with regards to my striker's clinicism compared to the oppositions, so I decided to take the first 10 games of the season and deeply analyse the goals scored. Unfortunately I wrote it all down on scraps which I threw away today when I was tidying up. However, I do remember certain findings.

Firstly, I was creating, on average, approximately 5 more chances than the opposition, and I was achieveing somewhere around 50% shots on targets compared to the computers 45%. However, I had scored as many as I conceeded, giving me an average of a goal every 10 shots (or every 5 on target) compared to the AI's goal every 7 shots (or every 3 shots on target).

Having got frustrated at this I looked at the comparitive merits of the goalkeepers. I, with Morgan de Sanctis in goal, had, statistically speaking, the better goalkeeper in every occasion apart from 1 game (against Liverpool and Jose Reina). No goalkeeper had better reflexes or agility, and only 3 keepers had better positioning.

I then took to looking at the abilities of the goalscorers, combining the important stats of the goalscorers and found that when I scored my player had an average of around 14 for finishing, and 13 for composure, whilst the AI player had an average finishing stat of 11, and 11 for composure.

Unfortunately, as I'm having to recall this from memory, I don't have all the statistics to hand (which included types of goals scored/conceeded - how players in heading "battles" compared statistically, the number of players between the ball and the path of the shot in chances, etc..). However, what information I had gathered, I know indicated to me that the AI tended to be able to score with inferior players from fewer chances.

That said, it just means I'll have to start from scratch and try a new type of formation that gives me even more chances and the opposition even fewer.

Sorry, just as a further point to the last post, the game in question is a network game, which is hosted on my flat-mates computer. When I get a chance to get a copy of the save game, and if I can be bothered, I will try and recompilate those stats and give a more accurate account of my findings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sussex Hammer:

What really annoys me in games like this when you are having loads of chances but keeping the opposition out is the fact thath they will equalize or win the game with either a controversial penalty, an own goal courtesy of your centre back who has been rock solid for 89 minutes or your keeper willfail to get to a back pass that is conveniently intercepted by an Al striker!! icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that is extremely annoying...so many games I've dominated, led 1-0, failed to score a 2nd and then conceded a late equaliser.

My latest case of that though certainly didn't involve us failing to score, we were just a tad porous at the back as CSKA Moscow came back from 3-5 down at home to Werder Bremen to score twice in injury time for a 5-5 draw, with one of our centre-backs scoring an own goal. The other centre-back netted a hatrick at the other end...I can't decide whether I feel he should have done his job better at his own end and not scored or just as he was icon_razz.gif

If you post your tactics on the tactics forum, you will get the necessary help to fix this. It is relatively straight-forward since there are only 5 or 6 reasons for this happening. However, if you take it onto the other forum, you'll get great help from all the 'experts' over there.

icon14.gif

Archived