Opposition Instructions

I wonder how often do you tweak on "Opposition Instructions" before each match. (I tend to repeat the same config: marking/closing down on their attack, but it is very tedious to have to click same keys every game!). I also wonder how this differs from the "tight marking" button (under team instructions). Any light is appreciated. Thanks.

I read scouting report of my next opponent. Then I use close-down, hard tackle and wrong foot instructions for the player reported by my scout. I also use same tactics for the key opponent player from Match-Analysis screen, if they are different. I found this very useful. :thup:

almost always, against 442 i mark, show onto weaker foot and hard-tackle the strikers, close down and show onto weaker foot the CMs and show the wingers onto their weaker feet.

I would love to hear that this is largely meaningless and has little effect because doing it before every match is unbelievably tedious.

Same here, although I rarely bother if i'm playing some non-league no-hopers in the cup, but whenever I don't do it in big games I always seem to do badly. But I remain unconvinced that it's anything other than coincidence. If I tell my team to always close down a certain player, will my entire team be pulled out of shape when they get the ball from everyone running at them like an idiot?

Never for me. I had been using them for most of my seasons but then I had a really poor season. The season after, I couldn't be bothered to set them and I had a good season again. I don't think that's the reason but to me, it didn't seem to be making much difference.

I ALWAYS use it as it is something that I have developed alongside my tactics.

I ALWAYS close down GK and show onto his weaker foot, (and I specify the weaker foot).

I ALWAYS tackle hard any player that has a bravery score in single figures, (if it is not visible then I assume it is more than 10).

I always show wingers inside, (unless they are playing on the wrong flank), and close down always.

I always show SC's on weaker foot, (and specify the weaker foot), and close down always.

I often show central midfielders onto weaker foot.

If I don't do this then my results suffer.

Something that I am not so good at is monitoring the subs that the AI introduce and tweaking the tactics as appropriate.

I always have the keeper on hard tackling; my theory is that my players shouldn't back out of a challenge with the keeper in a set piece. Also they may rattle the keeper with a couple of tough challenges early on.

The other positions depends on the players in them.

Like Jimbo I use hard tackling to "cowardly" players and/or high aggressive players; the latter in the hope of getting a reaction from him.

Show onto weaker foot for wingers and full backs, unless they don't have a weaker foot or their crossing attribute is bad.

Sometimes I set the "danger man" to slways close down, hard tackle and tight marking.

Archived