Steam/Regional variations????

I am out of UK for a few months and obviously want the game on release

my question is when you buy via steam do you get a regional version or is it the same World wide version:confused:

As I am currently in N.Z. and the game they have in stores here is not exactly the same as u.k. the cover is different and not as many leagues are mentioned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thdn:

I think there is more emphasis on the A league?????

Because if there are differences I will get the game sent out from U.K. ;)

I think FM will always be FM (i.e. exactly the same) unless you buy WorldWide Soccer Manager, the American version, which I know has a few small differences. I'm not sure what the coverage of WWSM is over Steam, but Steam will only offer you the standard NZ version, so it could be either. Just searching for the game on the Steam Store should tell you which version that they sell in NZ though.

Something to consider, though, if you are stuck with WWSM - and frankly I don't know if it would work - is Steam gifts. If you get a UK-based friend to buy you the game (presumably with you agreeing to repay him) then he can choose to gift you the game instead of keeping it. Under that circumstance, it MIGHT give you the UK version instead.

I think FM will always be FM (i.e. exactly the same) unless you buy WorldWide Soccer Manager, the American version, which I know has a few small differences. I'm not sure what the coverage of WWSM is over Steam, but Steam will only offer you the standard NZ version, so it could be either. Just searching for the game on the Steam Store should tell you which version that they sell in NZ though.

Something to consider, though, if you are stuck with WWSM - and frankly I don't know if it would work - is Steam gifts. If you get a UK-based friend to buy you the game (presumably with you agreeing to repay him) then he can choose to gift you the game instead of keeping it. Under that circumstance, it MIGHT give you the UK version instead.

yeah I see what you say..................but take it from me I have checked FM09(not WWSM) on sale here and there are less playable leagues and the cover is different on back to UK one :thdn:

I hope steam is not regionalised ..............but it will be to an extent I am sure you enter your region for the download???

I think to be certain I will get someone to post it from U.K. :thup:

Well Steam is regionalised. It notices your IP and shows you the market open to that country. Hence, if I were to link you to the FM product on my Steam Store, you'd get linked to the NZ version. But there might be ways around it. Getting someone to post it is probably the easiest way, though.

I'm surprised that you get a version with fewer leagues, though. Doesn't seem like it makes sense to me, not from the business perspective.

Well Steam is regionalised. It notices your IP and shows you the market open to that country. Hence, if I were to link you to the FM product on my Steam Store, you'd get linked to the NZ version. But there might be ways around it. Getting someone to post it is probably the easiest way, though.

I'm surprised that you get a version with fewer leagues, though. Doesn't seem like it makes sense to me, not from the business perspective.

Doesnt make sense..............unless they think people want more in depth DB's for the region they are in:confused:

But I see Amazon are taking orders for FM10 now and do ship overseas:thup:

But if anyone has an official answer to the above it would be great ;)

Archived