International price matching

It seems to me that games are never ever released at equivalent prices around the world (and I'm not just talking FM here, everyone seems to be guilty of it). Play are offering FM10 preorder for £30, which I believe is about $50 (perhaps even slightly more) and yet the it can be preordered on Steam for $29.99 (about £18-ish)

With the way the internet has brought so much of the world soo much closer together, is it not about time we saw pricing for something that probably has negligible variation in production costs between territories released at equivalent prices worldwide?

Just on a side not, this price mismatch hurts most to the gamers of countries like mine where not every game are released at the same time of world release. I have found only EA, Activision are releasing games in India simultaneously with world release. But Sega and few other publishers release their games later.

In my country, FM2010 will be released (if I go by last years example) around April-May 2011. So, either I've to wait that long or else buy it online at higher price. :thdn:

With the way the internet has brought so much of the world soo much closer together, is it not about time we saw pricing for something that probably has negligible variation in production costs between territories released at equivalent prices worldwide?

Don't forget different countries have different Tax laws

Certainly, WSM is almost half the price in the US and it is in UK/Ireland! And Americans are not even that much into soccer (yet)... Unbelievable...

Purely because it is released for the same price that all games in America are. Simple fact: most technological products cost half as much in the USA as in Europe. Rock Band 2 for the PS3 even spoofed this by offering a US bandana and a UK bandana (in-game purchaseable clothing item), pricing both items at the price that (IIRC) the PS3s were being sold at in those countries, and then making up a (deliberately ironic) load of bluster about why the UK bandana had to cost twice as much because of "shipping, VAT, production costs" etc to mimic the ongoing argument about why Sony was fleecing UK customers so badly in stark contrast to their US prices.

It's just a fact of life: the US sells stuff cheaper than Europeans do.

Archived