A thread of help for those managing non-league

I thought it might be nice to have a new thread to assist those who fancy taking on the big challenge of bringing up a small team through the leagues. I personally feel this can be alot harder than just picking a Prem level team and then buying all the great young players. You have alot more to think about and deal with.

Looking for people to just post general tips.

Currently mine would be.....

*Get a good scout or two, ensure between them they have the best ratings you can find given your options, Judging player ability and Judging player potential. This will help you tell who is best in your current team and who is a good signing.

*Getting good players is hard, if you get promoted try searching through the league you came from manually, team by team, player by player looking for good buys.

*Filter the transfer listed players by value AND wage to avoid looking at players you cannot sign.

*Get loan players in and a Parent club, can really help you win those promotions. Good striker, winger, defender and MC.

*Get the best staff you can, always with high technical rating. This should help training.

*Put players on max 2 year contracts unless they are very good and in your long term players. You dont want to get 2 leagues up and be stuck with duff players that you cannot shift. On the same note tie your good players into long deals with no min release clause if possible, you don't want to be losing your best players on the cheap.

*Be very tight with money where possible, get rid of players you don't play even if you have to offer them out at say £0 with a sell on fee.

I'm really no expert, just trying to help as I'm finding it very hard down in the lower leagues.

I thought it might be nice to have a new thread to assist those who fancy taking on the big challenge of bringing up a small team through the leagues. I personally feel this can be alot harder than just picking a Prem level team and then buying all the great young players. You have alot more to think about and deal with.

Looking for people to just post general tips.

Currently mine would be.....

*Get a good scout or two, ensure between them they have the best ratings you can find given your options, Judging player ability and Judging player potential. This will help you tell who is best in your current team and who is a good signing.

*Getting good players is hard, if you get promoted try searching through the league you came from manually, team by team, player by player looking for good buys.

*Filter the transfer listed players by value AND wage to avoid looking at players you cannot sign.

*Get loan players in and a Parent club, can really help you win those promotions. Good striker, winger, defender and MC.

*Get the best staff you can, always with high technical rating. This should help training.

*Put players on max 2 year contracts unless they are very good and in your long term players. You dont want to get 2 leagues up and be stuck with duff players that you cannot shift. On the same note tie your good players into long deals with no min release clause if possible, you don't want to be losing your best players on the cheap.

*Be very tight with money where possible, get rid of players you don't play even if you have to offer them out at say £0 with a sell on fee.

I'm really no expert, just trying to help as I'm finding it very hard down in the lower leagues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klipdrift:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

This is one for the Lower League Management Forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it's not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is

Loans arethe absolute key, got promoted at the first attempt out of the Blue Square South mainly due to getting a striker on loan from C. Palace who scored over 50 league goals.

Also, it is woth clicking on the World menu and then tranfers to look for players who have been released by their clubs, picked up a couple of gems like that.

In the Blue Square Premier you can have 4 long term loans and a shed load of short term ones, there is a limit of 5 loan players in the match day squad, but to have nearly half your starting line up filled by players from higher divisions, being paid no wages by your club is a massive advantage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klipdrift:

MrPompey: It's not and you are probably aware of that.

No need to go and wind up people is there?

Posting the OP's post in the LLM Forum is really not a very nice thing to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fella, the chap mentions non league therefore this is LLM and LLM forum IS the right place for this location. The difference as mentioned above is that this information would not be construed as very helpful to the experts in that forum.

Instead the author of this post, as is he admits looking for assistance, would be better looking in this forum

Please don't suggest I was winding anyone up as I wasn't, now thats not very nice is it

Hopefully this explanation will assist you but more importantly help MrDanBartlett locate the best place for advice when managing a non-league team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The difference as mentioned above is that this information would not be construed as very helpful to the experts in that forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LLM play by certain rules and stuuf, dont name players and whatever, and they frown upon feeder clubs too, so he can put it here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrPompey:

MrPompey: It's not and you are probably aware of that.

No need to go and wind up people is there?

Posting the OP's post in the LLM Forum is really not a very nice thing to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fella, the chap mentions non league therefore this is LLM and LLM forum IS the right place for this location. The difference as mentioned above is that this information would not be construed as very helpful to the experts in that forum.

Instead the author of this post, as is he admits looking for assistance, would be better looking in this forum

Please don't suggest I was winding anyone up as I wasn't, now thats not very nice is it

Hopefully this explanation will assist you but more importantly help MrDanBartlett locate the best place for advice when managing a non-league team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LLM don't do parent clubs, player search etc. If he posted this in there it would be closed as soon as a mod saw it anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrPompey:

Fella, the chap mentions non league therefore this is LLM and LLM forum IS the right place for this location. The difference as mentioned above is that this information would not be construed as very helpful to the experts in that forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That forum isn't just managing a lower league team, it's managing a lower league team in a specific manner. Which involves no tipping at all - so how would a thread giving advice on how to manage in lower leagues belong in there?

It surely belongs in the GQ forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Instead the author of this post, as is he admits looking for assistance, would be better looking in this forum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How on earth is he going to get assistance in the LLM forum?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hopefully this explanation will assist you but more importantly help MrDanBartlett locate the best place for advice when managing a non-league team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klip is a veteran of the LLM forum, I'm not sure he needs assistance in that regard. LLM forum doesn't do advice.

Pretty simple to understand that, surely.

I maintain that he would still benefit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

it would be closed as soon as a mod saw it anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that creating such a post in the LLM forum will not get him very far, sad but true.

The LLM forum adheres to quite a strict set of rules/guidelines and the thread the OP is trying to start would be flamed by the "regulars" in the LLM forum, no doubt about it. If you're not prepared for the responses you would receive, then you could be left with a sour taste from the whole experience.

That's not criticising the LLM forum. They play the game a certain way and that's what they discuss, without tipping or player naming. I doubt they will also take kindly to any tactical discussion either. There are some who are a little harsh though IMO.

I think that GQ is the best place for this, as it will inevitably cover subjects that cover all aspects "generally".

zzzzzzzz - i give up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the thread title, and then read the LLM forum guidelines. See where they contrast. It really is that simple fella.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

The problem is that creating such a post in the LLM forum will not get him very far, sad but true.

The LLM forum adheres to quite a strict set of rules/guidelines and the thread the OP is trying to start would be flamed by the "regulars" in the LLM forum, no doubt about it. If you're not prepared for the responses you would receive, then you could be left with a sour taste from the whole experience.

That's not criticising the LLM forum. They play the game a certain way and that's what they discuss, without tipping or player naming. I doubt they will also take kindly to any tactical discussion either. There are some who are a little harsh though IMO.

I think that GQ is the best place for this, as it will inevitably cover subjects that cover all aspects "generally". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they will bite your head off because the number of posters who go in there and break guidelines is quite amazing. It's not that hard to read a forum header, and after the hundredth "tell me good players for Aldershot" thread, patience does get a bit testy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

The only real problem with the Lower League Managers forum is its name which is somewhat erroneous. It is the Llama/LLM forum and LLM != Lower League Management. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank-you

The problem then sounds like there are some overzealous mods in that forum

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

I think that GQ is the best place for this, as it will inevitably cover subjects that cover all aspects "generally". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they will bite your head off because the number of posters who go in there and break guidelines is quite amazing. It's not that hard to read a forum header, and after the hundredth "tell me good players for Aldershot" thread, patience does get a bit testy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the asking for the best players element. The original post was simply asking for lower league management guidance and advice

My point was that he may not have to post, he could use search.

Ultimately we are trying to help the original poster rather than bitching at each other

If someone working for SI says post it in the LLM forum, then that is the right thing to do.

If people in the LLM forum don't react very well, then report them, because that forum is for Lower League Managers, hence the name.

It doesn't matter what experienced forum users tell you, it doesn't matter what anyone tells you - a SI member of staff has told you it's OK to post there, so that should be the end of it.

And by the way, I count the Testing Team as being in the same bracket as "proper" members of staff, because they are obviously people SI have decided to trust and give them special labels, so they're higher up the chain than "regular" users.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

If someone working for SI says post it in the LLM forum, then that is the right thing to do.

If people in the LLM forum don't react very well, then report them, because that forum is for Lower League Managers, hence the name.

It doesn't matter what experienced forum users tell you, it doesn't matter what anyone tells you - a SI member of staff has told you it's OK to post there, so that should be the end of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each forum has a set of guidelines/rules at the top that people posting in that forum are to adhere to. It takes a couple of seconds to glance at that to see that this thread would break those guidelines for the LLM forum

Blimey...

Anyway Choppers thread is simply superb - I didnt know about this and I had been using the search but not had any great luck.

Mods might as well delete this thread now its been A) ruined by people arguing B) proved worthless because of the ace thread from Chopper

Up the Braintree!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

It doesn't matter what experienced forum users tell you, it doesn't matter what anyone tells you - a SI member of staff has told you it's OK to post there, so that should be the end of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each forum has a set of guidelines/rules at the top that people posting in that forum are to adhere to. It takes a couple of seconds to glance at that to see that this thread would break those guidelines for the LLM forum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then change the name to Lower League Managers Forum (unless you want to talk about being a lower league manager, in which case, you want general discussions, for some reason! By Lower League Managers, you only mean if you're being a manager in the way we want you to be.)

Then there's no confusion.

I do think that the "Lower League Managers" Forum is not aptly named. From the name alone, I would expect that this thread belonged there.

However, being familiar with that forum, it really doesn't belong there at all: they have a "No Help" ethos, so a thread of help for those managing non-league would be extremely unwelcome.

Its the same as people posting a brief "Hey I took Arsenal and won the C.L. in each of my first two seasons", and somebody saying "That belongs in the FM Stories forum." No, it really doesn't; it may be an anecdote, but its not a story in the way that FMS means it.

In general, I'd much rather see a thread like this start in GQ - if it does wind up consisting of a ton of useful information, the mods can always move it to Tactics and Training Tips, which is the other place it might reasonably belong.

icon_wink.gif

To the OP: why don't you post your original post to choppers' thread?

Archived