Goalkeepers as outfielders

Anyone else play a goalkeeper up front when you are way ahead, have 20 mins left and want to rest your striker. Have a bit of fun and save the guy for the next game...

I would assume goalkeepers havent played all their football in goal so have some skills and could pop the odd one in?

I would agree its not realisitic, but I might google to see if I can find any instances.

I only do it in games that are pretty much wrapped up. Better to give my reserve goalie a run out than risk injuries/tiring other important subs or players.

It is a very rare situation but it can be useful/fun

I noticed that my goalkeeper never seemed to miss any penalties in my game so I ended up with him as first-choice penalty taker. First game after I set it to that, we got awarded 3 penalties at Goodison Park, all of which he scored... most amusing of all, everybody started talking about what a brilliant performance it was from my keeper, and nobody mentioned the fact he'd scored a hat-trick.

Also, I believe Sam Allardyce put a keeper up front in a pre-season friendly before this season because his striker got injured and the keeper was the only player on the bench.

And, i'm *certain* Ferguson played Barthez up front once for about 10 minutes or something.

Ferguson did play Barthez up front once.

On Topic: It's not realistic but once on FM07, I accidently put my sub GK on the right wing and he scored before I noticed. Unfortunately for him he was replaced due to fatigue at half-time. My keepers also took my penalties back then too.

Never done this, but one time I had tried to change one of my defensive midfielders with another before a game but accidentally replaced him with my substitute goalkeeper, so I had a goalkeeper playing in midfield for 20 minutes before I noticed...

I did it once, and my GK scored a goal. He got a rating of 3 or 4 or something :p

I also did it in real life once, when i used to coach. Winning comfortably and the goalie was interested in playing outfield, so i granted the wish :)

Alan Fettis (i think it was him anyways) played up front for two matches for Hull way back when they were in the lower divisions.. he scored as well lol came on as sub and scored so started next game up front and scored again... iirc

In the old versions of the game it was always a good idea to give your two main goalies a game each up front in pre-season, as it increased theri fitness improvement rate.

P.S. Rogerio Ceni is probably the least eccentric goalie to be noted for scoring, he only took up penalty and free-kick training to improve his ability as a goalie in such situations, and then found he was suprisingly good at them.

David James played up front for Man City for about 15 minutes when they neeeded to win to get into the UEFA Cup. They still drew though, so it was all an exercise in pointlessness.

Funniest thing about that game was, we had Jon Macken on the bench but we decided to bring Weaver on and put James up top instead. Guess Macken realised his days were numbered after that!

In FM 08, while I was managing QUB, I HAD to play my substitute goalkeeper as an outfield player. Before you ask, in Northern Irish leagues you can only put 3 players in bench. I didn't use to put any GKs on the bench, but this one was an important match and I put a substitute goalkeeper in the bench. At 60th minute, I had made 2 of my changes and at the 62th minute, my right winger got injured. I had no choice but to put my GK instead of him.

He actually played OK, getting a rating of 6 in 18 mins. But his stamina was really low (near %70 or something, probably got a knock) and I swapped the positions of the two goalkeepers. The sub GK was performing OK in the goal too, with 2 saves.

But, at 90+3, one of the best FM moments of my life happens and the GK who started in the first-11 (and who is playing now at RM) scored an own goal :( He tried to pass it to the GK but the ball was too fast. We won the game 2-1, and that incident made me laugh alot.

Anybody heard of Esrom Nyandoro? He did the opposite, a central midfielder that used to go in goal a lot, I belive in the game he has goalkeeper highlighted on his position screen. He deffinatly did in FM 2008.

• 8 months later...
Anyone else play a goalkeeper up front when you are way ahead, have 20 mins left and want to rest your striker. Have a bit of fun and save the guy for the next game...

I would assume goalkeepers havent played all their football in goal so have some skills and could pop the odd one in?

koller used to be a goalkeeper but i find john oshea makes a fantastic emergency keeper. are there any other outfeild players that double as keepers?

Pepe Reina played the 2nd half of a preseason game centre mid for Liverpool 2 seasons ago. Think it was against Hertha Berlin.

As for Goalkeepers scoring Jose Luis Chilavert used to take Penalties and Free Kicks for his clubs and Paraguay. Great free kick taker as well.

Archived