[FM09] Tales From The Frozen North

EvilDave

I'll be playing this on a fully patched FM07 with no other edits - Denmark, Iceland, Sweden and Norway all fully loaded.

Tales From The Frozen North

umfa.jpg

Having tried (and generally failed) in the stories forum but still wanting to share my game, this seems like the perfect place to do. The ultimate aim is obviously a Champions League victory, and preferably with my starting team - Afturelding of the Icelandic First Division. Established in 1909 and based in the town of Mosfellbaer, they are a semi-pro outift with little history other than a Lower League Cup win in 2002. I'll be hoping to take them to the very top of the game, but if it all goes wrong or the right offer comes along, then I could well be testing my skills elsewhere.

I'll be updating on a monthly basis, giving a brief description of each game plus anything else that I deem to be of interest. I'll apologise now for two things:

-Firstly, the lack of screenshots. I'll probably only be doing them for season-end tables, because my laptop seems to disagree with both Imageshack and Photobucket and I simply don't have the patience to struggle with it on a regular basis.

-Secondly, my butchering of Icelandic lettering. I don't know how to recreate their alphabet, so I've Anglicized it as best as I could. Sorry if I get anything badly wrong, I mean no offence.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, onto the game!

Afturelding - 2007 -Icelandic First Division

The media predicted us to finish 11th out of 12 (and therefore be relegated) and pre-season seemed to show why. No transfer budget to speak of but plenty of wage room, so in came 7 free transfers and 3 loans before the start of the competitive games. I set up quite an attacking 4-4-2 which showed a bit of potential, and off we went, starting with the Lower League Cup, a cute little tournament featuring half the First Division and 18 non-league sides.

March/April 07 - Lower League Cup

Group A - vs Huginn - D 1-1

Alexandersson scored after 40 seconds but we couldn't get the second, and they levelled with 10 to go. Disappointing.

Group A - at Tindastoll - D 1-1

A dull game. Borgporsson headed in but ahead we conceded late on, and our chances of progressing look slim.

Group A - at Stjarnan - W 2-1

Conceded early but a great comeback saw Alexandersson bag a brace and seal the win against our first D1 opposition.

Group A - vs KS/Leiftur - D 0-0

Pathetic. We had 1 shot, they had 7, none hit the target. We need to win our last game to win the group.

Group A - at Grotta - W 2-1

We're through! A good game from CM Borgporsson saw him sandwich their goal with a first-half brace to see us through.

1/2 Final - vs Hamar - W 3-0

They had a man off in the first minute and we cruised through, loanee striker Asgrimsson bagging two before an injury time

FK from RM Jonsson sealed in with Hamar down to 9 men. We'll face D1 Haukar in the final in a month's time.

Good luck in Iceland EvilDave! I remember when there was the Royal League, I used to load up Sweden, Denmark and Norway with the aim of one day winning that!

Good start in the Lower League Cup! Do you think you can challenge for promotion in your first season?

Thanks everybody, it feels good to have the forum onside already!

Gav - Hjortur's support will be a big help, although I suspect he'll be secretly supporting Tinda in our clashes!

corinthiano - Thanks, but I can't really answer your question - I've already played the first season, so you'll just have to wait and see :D

Luke - Glad to have you on board! FH are one of the stronger teams, so if I can emulate their success I'll be very pleased!

nine_iron - Too right!

MAY 07 - The Big Kick-Off

at Por - W 2-0

An even end-to-end that Alexandersson settled with a brace on 77 and 82. A great start against a team with one of the best strikeforces in the division, and we never let them get one on target.

CUP R1 at Tindastoll - W 1-0

We were battered by the non-leaguers, but a 7th minute strike from versatile midfielder Sigurbjornsson saw us through. Whether this performance was fatigue, the tactic or cup spirirt I'm not sure, but we survived.

vs Leiknir R - W 1-0

Alexandersson's breakaway goal after 20 mins gave us a win against our next opponents in the cup. They had a goal chalked off on 86 minutes, but we probably deserved the victory.

at Haukar - D 2-2

After half an hour we were two down thanks to poor set-piece defending, but after the HT hairdryer we battled back and Alexandersson continued his great form, scoring on 56 and then again on 88 to keep our unbeaten record.

vs Stjarnan - D 1-1

A disappointing draw, both goals coming from poor GK clearnaces. Alexandersson scored first but we couldn't hold on, and even two red cards in injury time couldn't find us a winner. Still unbeaten though.

CUP R2 vs Leiknir R - W 1-0

Loanee ST Asgrimsson netted after 5 minutes to see to us through toR3 despite late pressure, a good win to end the month.

Overview - An excellent start for a team predicted to go down. Progression in all the cups, and a 2-2-0 record in the league is good enough for 4th place. Alexandersson has been on fire with 6 in 4 in the league, and the defence has been largely secure, meaning GK Danielsson has had little to do. The tactic is efficient rather than attractive, but that'll do for now.

Good start to your career EvilDave. I've never managed in Iceland but i used to play in Sweden regularly and the Royal League and love the set up of the Scandinavian leagues.

I look forward to following your progression.

Thanks Raware, it looks like the Scandinavian set-up appeals to a lot of people, even if they haven't managed there before!

JUNE 07 - Cups and Continuation

LL CUP FINAL vs Haukar (Neutral) - W 3-0p (FT 0-0, ET 1-1)

Victory! Haukar pressured us from the off but we held our own, and grew into the game as it progressed. With no major chances in normal time it went to ET, and on 106 minutes we looked dead as a FK hit the bar and their MR poked in the rebound. However, substitute ST Heimisson had other ideas, nodding in to finish off a nice move straight from kickoff! In the penalty lottery Gk Danielsson was the hero, saving their first and third spotkicks (the second hit the bar) while ML Arason, captain and DL Valsson and MC Borgporsson slotted home to give us the trophy!

at Prottur - D 2-2

How we escaped with a point I'm not sure. A corner ricocheted in and put us behind on 18, and just after the hour they grabbed a second. Alexandersson hit back immediately, I went all-out and Heimisson secured the draw on 75 minutes.

CUP R3 vs Grindavik - L 2-1

We were desperately unlucky to draw one of only two Premier teams in the cup at this stage, and we came so close. We fell behind on the hour but Alexandersson hit a scorcher with ten to go. In injury time, a cross caused havoc in our box and DC Asvaldsson unluckily put past Danielsson to put our opponents in the hat for the next round.

vs Vikingur O - W 2-0

A deserved, clinical win. Only three shots but two goals - Asgrimsson on 67 and substitute RM Axelsson ten minutes later wrapped up a good win to bounce back from the cup defeat.

Overview - Only 4 games, and only 2 in the league, but I'm quite pleased - Silverware is always a great bonus and we showed we could defend well under pressure, and we're still unbeaten in the league, 3-3-0 being enough for 3rd place. I'm not too worried about going out of the cup to higher league opposition, in fact the rest of the competition will consist entirely of PD and non-league sides, with no D1 sides left! In other news, I signed a one-year extension to my contract, and the board unexpectedly announced we were to be the newest feeder club of Juventus! Unfortunately I don't have Italy running so the chances of me getting a loan are precisely zero, but the 25k every year will be nice.

Cheers Gav, and sorry about Tinda but it just had to be done. They're not the same without Hjortur at the helm!

JULY 07 - Finding Our Place

at HK - L 2-1

Away at 2nd-pace HK was always going to be tough, so when Alexandersson struck on 8 minutes I was ecstatic. However, their quality shone through and two second-half goals gave us our first league defeat. To add injury to insult, starting DC Asvaldsson was forced off late on.

vs Fjolnir - D 2-2

Now 3rd-place Fjolnir and another tough game. We were shocking in the first half and were two down in 20 minutes, but an Axelsson header just before the break gave us hope. Five minutes after Ht he struck again with a solo effort, and would have had a hat-trick were it not for the offside flag. With a dominant half each, a draw was fair.

vs KA - L 1-0

A worrying result which puts the fragility of our position into perspective. We created nothing and din't hit the target with any of our 3 shots, and when a 30-yarder beat Danielsson with half an hour to go we were finished. We slip to 5th, now 7 points from the two promotion slots and 7 ahead of the bottom two.

vs KS/Leiftur - D 0-0

A home game against the bottom side should have been a confidence-boosting win, but it was pure frustration. Again our attack was impotent against a defensive team, and without Alexandersson scoring we just don't look like winning. Looks like we can kiss promotion goodbye, time to consolidate.

at Fram - D 1-1

Nothing like a trip to table-topping, unbeaten Fram to try and turn a slump around. I make 4 changes and we hold our own until they bring an iceland international off the bench to score on 63 minutes. Incredibly, we push on and Alexandersson bagged his first in 4 games to grab a point. Fram are too good for this league though. D/ML Arason will be out for 6 months after injuring his hip, and we stay 5th.

vs Por - L 1-0

After the promising show at Fram, we slumped back with this game against Por. They scored on 40, and although we mustered some pressure after HT, they deserved the win, and we fall to 6th.

at Leiknir R - W 2-1

Yes, a win! Alexandersson (who else?) the hero with a strike inside 10 minutes and then a deflected FK in the second half sealing the win before we allowed a consolation in stoppage time. We were outshot but not outplayed, and we go back to 5th.

Overview - It would be hard to be happy with a 4-6-3 record after such a good start, but hopefully that last win will boost our form as we head into the final 9 games. Promotion is 6 points away and we're as good as safe, but I'll be looking to arrange some transfers for next season - Alexandersson is having a great year but has had little support, and the team as a whole lacks pace and the cutting edge we need to progress.

AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 07 - Crunch Time

vs Haukar - L 2-1

Gutted. We played well and Asgrimsson scored on HT to put us ahead, but two injuries, a dodgy penalty and a late defensive error cost us dearly. A strange day of results sees us stay 6 points off 2nd, but we're down in 7th now.

at Stjarnan - L 1-3

We drop another place after a close defeat. Two of their three were from set-pieces, and our goal was an OG from their first scorer. Our ultra-atacking formation played well in the last 20, but by that time it was too late. Worringly, we are only 4 points clear of relegation and key players are starting to tire.

vs Prottur - D 1-1

Another game of two halves. We were under pressure for the first 45 and conceded to a deflected shot from range, but changing to 4-3-3 at the break revitalised the team. In injury time Heimisson popped up with a potentially invaluable leveller, and we thanks to midweek results we sit 2 points above the drop zone in 8th.

at Vikingur O - W 2-0

A great win against the team below us. A few mind games in the media seemed to fire the side up, and second-half goals from Alexandersson and Heimisson sealed all three points and put us 3 clear of the bottom two with 5 to play.

vs HK - D 0-0

Promotion-chasing HK left with a point but we could have taken all 3 with clinical finishing. They didn't really show any great threat, and our strikers were wasteful. Still, we stay 3 points above the drop.

at Fjolnir - W 3-2

A trip to 3rd-place Fjolnir produced the best game I've managed so far. We fell behind in the 2nd minute to a corner, and seconds after HT we were 0-2. I brought on an ST for a DM and upped the tempo, and within minutes Heimisson had us on the scoresheet. Ten minutes later he drew us level with a great strike, and with 7 minutes to go Alexandersson won us a penalty which MR Borgporsson despatched for the comeback win! The results leaves us as the 'best of the rest' in 5th place, 6 points and 9 goals above the drop with only 3 matches left.

at KS/Leiftur - W 2-0

Away at the league's bottom side should have been a win, and the team delivered - an Alexandersson header and a Jonsson penalty (which reduced them to ten men) enough to beat a side who are all but relegated. We stay 5th with a good performance.

vs Fram - D 1-1

Fram wrapped up promotion and the title in their previous game so could afford to relax, but we lost Alexandersson to U21 duty. Surprisingly Asgrimsson netted in just the third minute and we dominated the first half, but Fram came back strong and their international ST latched onto a weak backpass to level and split the points.

at KA - L 1-0

A disappointing end to the season at KA - an undeserved defeat sees us slip to 6th on the basis of goals scored. Elsewhere, Vikingur O leapfrog Leiknir R, condemning the latter to relegation on goal difference, and KA miss out on promotion to HK by 5 goals. It's a shame really - KA have taken 6 points from us by virtue of a long-range effort and a fluked cross today, so I'd have liked to see the back of them.

SEASON OVERVIEW

6th place is a good position considering we were predicted to go down (we were overachievers of the year after all), and considering we had spells of both promotion and relegation form it's probably fair. Our defence was largely solid (we tied for 3rd best in the league), but going forward we relied too heavily on Alexandersson (who I've just made our first full-time player) and could do with a bit more creativity. Our left side desperately needs cover, as I have only two DLs and one ML before using the youth side,but with a few good signings I think we're well-positioned to push on next season.

Final Table

That's a great achievement to finish 6th considering you were favourites to go down :thup:. Are Fram really that dominent or do you think the gap isn't that big which will enable you to make a challenge next year? Also, how's your squad looking? Any new players coming in?

Thanks for the continued support guys :)

corinthiano - financially Iceland looks to be a fairly stagnant league. Even the Premier League sides in Europe don't have much spending power - at 5k/week I had the 8th highest wage budget in the country, and players rarely change hands for more than a couple of thousand. The club itself is fairly secure with the balance floating around 80-100k, but I can't do a great deal with it.

Raware - Fram really were a cut above, but the rest of the league is tight and with consistency we could be up there. I've got 9 or 10 players coming in, all on frees, but my guess would be that only 3 or 4 will be anything more than backup - despite the small number of games, my players tire quickly!

Luke - Thanks, the cup win was rather unexpected and a nice bonus for the first season :)

Afturelding - 2008 - Icelandic First Division

umfa.jpg

This year, pre-season goes as expected, picking up comfortable wins against lower league opposition and going down to Premier opposition. The two newly-promoted sides, Reynir and Tindastoll, don't look to pose much of a threat - Tinda in particular have been picking up my youth cast-offs to flesh out their squad, so they should be welcome opponents in the league.

Having finished in the top six last year we don't get the chance to defend our LLC title, as we are drawn into one of two groups for the Upper League Cup, consisting of 6 D1 sides and all 10 Premier teams. Even with 9 new arrivals, we'll do well not to be embarassed, let alone make it out of the group stage.

FEBRUARY/MARCH/APRIL 08 - Upper League Cup

Group B - at Breidablik - L 3-2

At first we were embarassing, going two down in half an hour to their debutant striker. Borgporsson pulled one back on HT and our super-attacking tactic exerted pressure, but we got caught on the break on 65 minutes. New signing ML/ST Halldorsson got another with five to play, but we were never going to equalise. Decent start though.

Group B - vs Grindavik - W 3-2

I'm considering using the gung-ho 4-3-3 to start games now. A goal down at HT, I switch to it and we bang in 3 in 8 minutes - Alexandersson scoring before Asgrimsson (last year's loanee now permanently signed) got a brace which included a nice FK. They got an 80th minute penalty to set up a tense finish, but I think we just about edged it to get revenge for last year's cup exit.

Group B - vs IA - W 3-2

It's happening next game. A second minute goal down, the switch is made at HT for Borgporsson and Halldorsson to fire us ahead. IA hit what looks like the equaliser in the 88th, but a long straight ball from the back found Halldorsson, who lashed from 30 yards to win it. We're certainly keeping the fans entertained this year!

Group B - at Fjolnir - L 3-1

The 4-3-3 didn't go entirely to plan as we were 0-2 at the half, but the hairdryer saw Alexandersson come out and score straight away. Unfortunately it seems to leave us incredibly exposed at the back, and we were hit on the counter for the third despite pinning them in their box for the second half. I'll switch to the 4-4-2 for now, but this is a work in progress.

Group B - vs HK - D 3-3

Back to 4-4-2 and Alexandersson and Sigurbjornsson gave us a two-goal lead 30 minutes in. They pulled it level after HT with two in 4 minutes before our new ST Eysteinsson slotted home to regain the lead. With 20 minutes left we were left exposed at the back after an attack and they evened it up once again at 3-3, and it stayed that way.

Group B - at Fylkir - D 0-0

Either side could have won, but the scoresheet remained blank. Eysteinsson came closest by hitting the inside of the post,but neither side made the breakthrough and we claimed a point. We need to beat already-qualified Valur by 4 and hope the game between Grindavik and Breidablik ends as a draw if we are to progress. Not likely then, but we've proved we can take on the big boys.

Group B - vs Valur - L 4-0

We were hammered by arguably Iceland's biggest team, one of their strikers grabbing a hat-trick and a midfielder adding another in the second half. The 4-3-3 only conceded one of the goals and actually created a chance or two, so my tweaks are doing something...maybe. We obviously miss out on progressing, but I enjoyed the experience.

MAY 08 - Here We Go Again

vs KA - D 1-1

We fell behind after just 7 minutes in our season opener, but found ourselves on top in the first half. The extra striker was thrown on at the break and Halldorsson grabbed the equaliser, although we could and should have taken all 3 points.

CUP R1 vs Huginn - L 1-2

A devastating defeat in which we were desperately unlucky. We took the lead through Eysteinsson, but then disaster struck. GK Danielsson was stretchered off, and then the non-leaguers struck not one but two free-kicks past our reserve keeper. We couldn't find another goal and we fell weakly out of the cup.

at IBV - D 1-1

Back to the league and conceding early goals, this time after 5 minutes. DM Hardarsson saw red for kicking an opponent, and they continued to pile on the pressure. Surprisingly, loanee RM Palsson popped up with a goal after an hour and we clung on for dear life against the newly-relegated side.

vs Por - D 2-2

Another draw, this time we were the ones robbed. The 4-3-3 kicked in after HT and first Alexandersson then DM Jonsson put us two goals to the good. Their talisman FC got one back from a corner before netting a blatantly offside equaliser in the 88th minute, after which Sigurbjornsson took Hardarsson's example from the last game and was sent off. Three games, three draws. Well, at least we're consistent.

at Tindastoll - W 2-0

After three games the newcomers found themselves with no points, no goals and ten conceded. I started with the 4-3-3 and Eysteinsson put us ahead in the 11th minute. They only mustered 2 shots, had a man sent off for kicking my DR (I'm sensing a theme here) and in the 88th minute Eysteinsson rounded the goalkeeper to complete an easy win.

Overview - On paper our start hasn't been bad, but against both KA and Por we could easily have won and put ourselves in a stronger position. With the horrible cup game aside, it's given us a solid base to build on, but I'm thinking about bringing in a couple more players as the more attacking formation is understandably tiring the squad more quickly.

Thanks you two, it's not looking bad so far - a short update this time, but a promising one :)

JUNE 08 - All Quiet On The Northern Front

vs Reynir - W 3-0

The scoreline looks comfortable but it was far from it as the other newly-promoted side did everything but score in the first half. I laid into the side at the break and within 15 minutes we had a three-goal lead - Alexandersson robbed the keeper for the first before D/ML Arason scored a header and free-kick to seal all three points.

at Fylkir - W 3-2

What a game! An even first half saw Alexandersson put us ahead on 16 minutes before forcing an OG on the half hour, but five minutes later our opponents were on the scoreboard. With 20 minutes to go a horrific backpass gave their MR an open goal which he took, and that was the signal to attack. With seconds to play, Eysteinsson broke clear and fired home to send us to the top of the table!

Overview - A strange schedule means our game were on the 1st and 4th of June, but now we have nothing until July, when we have no fewer than eight matches. That said, we go into the break still unbeaten, on the back of three straight victories and fighting for every point. Whether or not we can sustain it is one thing, but it shows that we do have the ability to compete in this league.J

JULY 08 - A Marathon, Not A Sprint

vs Haukar - L 1-0

Just like that our run is ended. They had one ruled out for offside after just 20 seconds but scored after 10 minutes, and they defended resolutely to keep us out, despite us having no less than 5 strikers on at the end. We slip to 4th, and need to bounce back. Afterwards, I added another year to my contract.

at Fjolnir - W 1-0

A good if fortunate win at struggling Fjolnir was sealed with a goal from an unlikely source, DC Olafsson managing to hit home in a goalmouth scramble following a corner. Fjolnir came back strong but our defence held firm, and we continue to keep pace with the leaders.

vs Vikingur O - W 3-2

Palsson was our star today, scoring after 30 seconds and then with a FK after 16 minutes to give us an apparently comfortable lead. An unfortunate Asvaldsson OG gave them a way back in with 20 to go, but a frantic last ten minutes ensued - Heimisson seized on a keeper error to make it 3-1 before they pulled another back on 86, and very nearly snatched a point in the dying seconds. Still, a win is a win.

vs Stjarnan - W 1-0

If winning while playing badly is the mark of champions then this season should be great success on the basis of this game. We were outshot 16-5 and constantly under pressure, but when Alexandersson's pressure forced an OG we were ahead in the one important statistic: goals. Three completely undeserved points, but I won't be complaining.

at Prottur - W 2-1

Our opponents were the architects of their own downfall here, having two men dismissed after 30 and 60 minutes. They still had eleven on the pitch when Eysteinsson struck inside five minutes, and when they gifted him a second after the break the game was dead. Shockingly we gave up a consolation late on, but the result was never in doubt.

at KA - W 4-0

The media billed this as our toughest test yet but we passed with flying colours, Eysteinsson and Alexandersson putting us two up after just 10 minutes. The stats show a fairly even game but in reality we had the bulk of the chances, and it showed as Eysteinsson grabbed his second on 68 before Halldorsson wrapped it up with 10 minutes to go. Our biggest win yet, and we leapfrog Haukar to the top of the table.

vs IBV - L 2-0

A combination of complacency and a great IBV performance saw us knocked off the top of the league with our second loss of the year. We failed to turn up until the last quarter of an hour and by that time two strikes from range had sealed our fate.

at Por - L 2-1

Despite a shocking performance we left with a bitter taste in our mouth after a second straight defeat. We were outshot 19-5 but somehow took the lead through Alexandersson on 78 minutes before we threw it away. In the first minute of injury time they levelled from a good cross, and two minutes later a finish from an offside position robbed us of a point. We deserved to lose, but the manner was devastating.

Overview - A packed month has seen tired players and that has been evident in the last two games, but overall we're playing well and sit in the second promotion spot, a couple of points ahead of 3rd-place Fylkir. Eysteinsson looks to be in great form up front, and with players coming back from injury in midfield there's the potential to kick on for promotion providing we can get out of this mini-slump.

Thanks Gav, those 5 wins in the middle did our promotion push a world of good, and in such a short, tight league anyone outside the bottom 3 or 4 can challenge with a bit of form. Oh, and Hjortur might want to look away now!

AUGUST 08 - The Heat Is On

vs Tindastoll - W 3-0

The perfect rebound match - before today, Tinda had managed just a single point (gained in a 0-0 draw) and 3 goals in their 14 matches, conceding 41 in the process. We controlled from start to finish, two in two minutes in the first half from Alexandersson and a Valsson PK sealing the win before Palsson came off the bench to wrap it up and put us back on top.

at Reynir - W 2-1

A 4th-minute FK put us behind early at Reynir, and until Borgporsson nodded in a corner we weren't in the game at all. The goal put us on top and Eysteinsson scored as a sub on the hour to put us ahead, but they roared back and incredibly failed to score again despite 21 shots. Last season we'd have lost this game.

vs Fjolnir - W 5-1

We put Fjolnir to the sword in the ideal performance going into the double-header with 2nd-place Fylkir and 4th-place Haukar. Alexandersson's brace sandwiched an Eysteinsson strike, and in the last ten minutes substitutes Axelsson and Halldorsson completed the rout. Fjolnir got on the scoresheet at 2-0, but this was an emphatic victory. Elsewhere, Tindastoll picked their first win of the season, 1-0 against Reynir, to take them to 4 points after 17 games.

vs Fylkir - D 0-0

A cagey game between the top two, and a draw was always likely to be the result. Eyesteinsson hit the post late on but neither side looked too dangerous and we settled for a point. Results elsewhere went our way - Haukar were held at Vikingur O and IBV lost to Reynir, leaving us 5 points clear of 3rd with just four games to play. Tindastoll's relegation was confirmed as they went down 2-0 at Por.

at Haukar - D 2-2

A topsy-turvy match led to another draw here, and other results meant we finished as we started with just three games left. Midfielder Jonsson smashed in for us after 11 minutes, but five minutes of madness in the second half cost us victory. Halldorsson had one disallowed before they went up the other end and scored, and then a frankly ridiculous 50-yard own goal for Olafsson put them ahead. Everybody pushed forward and we were rewarded when Heimisson went clear and slotted home, keeping our promotion bid firmly on track.

at Stjarnan - W 1-0

We came under pressure away at Stjarnan but held firm and managed to defend Alexandersson's 10th-minute strike, creating several chances of our and deserving the win. A defeat for IBV sees them fall out of the promotion race, so with two games to go we sit top with 41 points and +19 GD, ahead of Fylkir on 37 (+14) and Haukar with 36 (+13). Only two can go up, but a point in our next game will do it.

Overview - To take 14 points from 18 coming off two straight defeats last month is an axcellent return, especially considering we've taken on two of our nearest rivals. If can extend our unbeaten run by one more match we'll clinch promotion, but anything less than the title would be a disappointment from this position. Not bad for a side predicted to battle relegation!

SEPTEMBER 08 - Make Or Break

vs Prottur - W 2-1

We needed a point, and when Eysteinsson netted after just 9 minutes we were well on our way to the Premier Division. Just after the half hour he set up Alexandersson for our second, and we were cruising. Prottur got one back in the second half and caused a shakey finish, but we held on to claim promotion and the title! We later discovered that both Fylkir and Haukar had both lost (the latter to Tindastoll of all teams!), but I couldn't care less and gave the players to go out and enjoy their 'unbelievable' promotion!

at Vikingur O - L 2-1

With nothing to play for it's perhaps no surprise that we lost today. Eysteinsson fired us ahead early on to finish a great season for him, but a 38th-minute free kick and another goal on the hour clinched the victory for the hosts. It's always disappointing to lose, but I think the team can be forgiven for not giving 100% in this one.

SEASON OVERVIEW

I have absolutely no complaints about this season. We started well again, and I spent most of the year waiting for a slump that just didn't arrive. Eysteinsson proved to be a great signing and outscored Alexandersson 11-10 in the league, and the whole midfield rotation created plenty of chances for them. Defensively we conceded just less than a goal a game, which is solid rather than spectacular, and perhaps our first priority for improvement. I'd like to have gone further in the Cup, but for now I'll concentrate on surviving next year, and there's hope - Fram, who stormed to the D1 title last year, managed to finshed 3rd in their first season up! Whilst that would be a fantastic result, I'll be looking to make sure we don't 'do a Tindastoll' and scrap for everything we can get. Premier Division, here we come!

Final Table

Thanks Gav, it sure felt good after the up-and-down nature of last year. Hopefully we can put up a fight in the Premier!

Afturelding - 2009 - Icelandic Premier Division

umfa.jpg

Despite our promotion, our reputation seems to be too low to attract the quality of player we need to improve. Either that, or our paltry 7k transfer budget just won't stretch to buy anyone worth signing. Pre-season passed us by with 5 signings (including last year's loanee Palsson) for free and 16 players released. Among them were a few of last season's signings that failed to impress, and the rest youths who won't make it. The beauty of the Icelandic season means that a one-year deal signed in January will expire in September, so you can afford to take the odd punt on a player. I cancelled our rather pointless link with Juventus and the board replaced it with one with Djurgarden. They at least have players to loan, but they all refused my approaches. Ah well, we tried.

As expected, we're predicted to be in for a long, hard season. Nobody is giving us a chance of survival - after all, we were relegation favourites in the First Division, so how can we compete in the top league? I'm skeptical myself, but last year showed me that this team has plenty of fight to give, and we gained a lot of credit in the Upper League Cup. I'm hoping we can put up a decent showing in the cups and scrap for survival in the league. I think we can do it, but I think I'm the only one.

FEBRUARY/MARCH/APRIL 09 - Upper League Cup

Group A - at Fram - L 4-2

A tough game to start the year and two five-minute bursts cost us dear. On 35 and 38 minutes they hit a header and a penalty to take the half-time lead, but we fought back through Eysteinsson to go into the last ten minutes level. When a point looked likely their penalty taker smashed two past debut keeper Magnusson in injury time to claim the match ball and all 3 points. The stats were promising though - we had 14 shots to their 10 and 56% possession to boot.

Group A - vs Stjarnan - L 0-2

A really poor performance against First Division opposition saw us suffer another defeat thanks to two second-half goals. Neither 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 could create anything against the visitors, and the match ended with a whimper.

Group A - at Haukar - w 3-0

Haukar came out strong but were stunned by Asvaldsson heading in a corner after 25 minutes. His DC partner Olafsson did the same on the stroke of half-time, and in the second half Eysteinsson completed a hat-trick of set-piece goals with a 25-yard free-kick. Haukar couldn't get back in, and we put in our first convincing performance of the year.

Group A - vs KR - L 1-0

KR have finished 5th in the Premier Division for the last two seasons and won back-to-back titles as recently as 2002/3. Despite the apparent gulf in class between the teams, we were only separated by a 47th minute finish from their MC, and we did ourselves no discredit in our performance.

Group A - at Vikingur - L 2-0

Two goals either side of the break from their star forward were enough to see off our challenge today, as we struggled once again. Nobody is really putting themselves forward and taking hold of the game, and we'll need to improve if we want to survive in the league.

Group A - vs IA - D 2-2

We showed a certain frailty today in throwing away a two-goal lead, although this game's main purpose was to highlight the importance of corners - our two came from them courtesy of an OG and then Borgporsson, and their first followed suit. Two points dropped, but an improved performance nonetheless.

Group A - vs Valur - L 0-1

Last time we faced Valur we were smashed 4-0, and this time it was much better. The match itself was nothing to write home about, and there was nothing we could do about the FK goal. We go into the league season showing slightly more form than in February, but we still need to improve.

Overview - This has been a bit of a wake-up call about the standard of opposition we'll be facing - last year playing the big boys was a chance to show off and play above ourselves, this year it's the day job and we need to step it up to compete. If I can find players to add then I will, but for the minute it looks like we're going in with what we've got.

MAY 09 - Top Flight Take-off

vs Grindavik - L 2-0

Our top flight debut was a shocker. Both of our fullbacks were sent off, our new 4k DC (my first non-free signing) scored an own goal and we failed to register on the scoresheet despite matching our opponents chance-for-chance. We'll certainly struggle with luck and discipline like this for the rest of the season!

at Keflavik - W 1-0

Our first win, and an indication of how we'll have to play to survive. Eysteinsson's 34th-minute goal came on a break from their corner, and throughout the first half we were on the defensive. As they pushed forward we were able to counter and grow into the game, and red card to their DR near the end settled it. A great result.

Overview - I didn't initially realise how quite this month was, then it occurred to me that the international break matters to some of these teams! The game against Grindavik was a once-in-a-blue-moon moment so I'm not too worried there, and the Keflavik was a great show of our spirit. I've made two changes to the squad, dumping my 4th-choice DL thanks to his high wages and bringing in a young AML/ST for 1k, who will rotate the winger spot. I have at least 5 games next month, so there'll be more to write about!

JUNE 09 - Building From A Base

at KR - L 2-1

Going two goals down inside 15 minutes is never a good way to start a game, and we suffered the consequences here. A poor first half saw us in behind, but new signing Petursson came on to set up fellow sub Heimisson just after the break to give us hope. KR stifled our attacks and killed the game off, leaving us empty-handed.

CUP R3 at Vidir - W 4-2

Non-league Vidir have had a couple of great cup runs (QF and SF) lately so we were weary, but Asgrimsson's early goal eased our fears. However, DR Jonsson gave away a penalty and was sent off for it, so we needed another goal before the break from Eysteinsson to retake the lead. They somehow levelled on 75, but a rapid double from Eysteinsson and Borgporsson in the last five minutes saw us through comfortably depite our numerical disadvantage.

vs Breidablik - D 0-0

Either side could have won this, but a loss would have been harsh to take. 6-6 in terms of shots, and whilst we hit the target more regularly a goal never seemed likely. Although I'm happy with every point at this level, we need to take advantage of being at home.

vs Fram - L 3-0

Although the scoreline says otherwise, we should have won this game. We were on top until an unfortunate OG from my DR, and continued to pressure them until being hit by a swift 1-2 punch on the counter. To make matters worse we ended the game with ten men thanks to DC Olafsson's second yellow, and we lost a game which we deserved at least a point from.

at IA - L 1-0

The first of a league and cup double header against champions IA, who find themselves struggling this time round. We match them for the whole 90 minutes, but a goalmouth scramble with ten minutes to go sees the ball smashed past Danielsson, our winless streak continue and us slide into the relegation zone.

CUP R4 vs IA - W 3-2

If only this were in the league. A Palsson Fk on 5 put us ahead, but DC Halldorsson's two yellows gave them a PK and man advantage to level. In the second half Eysteinsson and Petursson put us in the next round before a late consolation, but our disciplinary problems remain.

Overview - As far as the league goes, we're in trouble. We've scored just two goals in our opening 6 games and that's bound to cost us. Coupled with our ridiculous discipline at the moment (4 red cards in the league already) there's every chance that we could embarass ourselves, so we need to get our act together sharpish.

JULY 09 - Picking Up The Pieces

at FH - D 1-1

Our recent form made us 10-1 underdogs for this one but with no expectations we stuck with FH stride for stride all the way to the end. We grabbed a goal from an unlikely source when DC Asvladsson latched onto a flicked throw-in, but we couldn't hold on for the last half-hour and they levelled after a flowing move. We stay in 9th, but with an improved performance and no bookings we'll be looking to build on this.

vs Valur - L 2-0

Our pride took a blow today as an unattached Serbian D/ML turned us down only to retire a day later. We played well again but our finishing let us down, and a strong Valur side punished us with two second half goals.

at Fylkir - L 2-0

It games like this that make you wonder why you bother. I'd targetted the team that came up with us a chance for at least a point, and we did well for 75 minutes. In went two quick goals to kill us off, and in the 92nd minute my DM was given a straight red for pushing an opponents before my DR got his second yellow for complaining at the decision. I appreciate the solidarity, but I'd much rather they stayed on the pitch.

CUP QF vs Breidablik - W 1-0

What a welcome relief cup football can be! We go marching on courtesy of Halldorsson's 7th-minute winner and controlled most of the game with the 4-3-3 in place from the start. We did lose Alexandersson for a month due to injury, but we have to take this result and replicate it in the league.

at Grindavik - L 2-1

Same old, same old. We attacked rom the off but our hosts played well and snatched the lead from a corner on HT. In the second half they grabbed the clincher on 78 minutes, and although Borgporsson did score only our 4th league goal in 10 outings in stoppage time it was another one in the loss column for us.

Overview - Performances have definitely improved this month, but yet again we just aren't getting the results. I'd put it down to luck but it's clearly more than that - our strikers aren't finishing and defensive lapses are costing us dear. The cup is a welcome break but I'd gladly swap those performances with the league - we sit 9th with just 5 points, 4 points from Keflavik outside the drop zone. That has to be our target - we face them next.

Archived