MLS Draft

On 08 in 2016, the best young defender in the world was American and played for Milan. However, 08 was really bad for having world class players from weird countries e.g. the best right back was from Saudi Arabia and the best striker was from Chad.

I haven't noticed the same thing in 09, though I did have a 198 pa Northern Irish midfielder at one point, which was brilliant and will hopefully come true.

OP is talking about newgens, and to answer your question, sadly not. I don't think the draft IRL will ever produce many great players for this reason

Canadian/American players are so far behind their counterparts because to play high class soccer in Canada/U.S, you have to go to the college route, but while your there, the level of play and coaching is not that high plus you have your studies. Once they come out of school they are often 22, 23

OP is talking about newgens, and to answer your question, sadly not. I don't think the draft IRL will ever produce many great players for this reason

Canadian/American players are so far behind their counterparts because to play high class soccer in Canada/U.S, you have to go to the college route, but while your there, the level of play and coaching is not that high plus you have your studies. Once they come out of school they are often 22, 23

sorry to be harsh, but there isn't really a 'high class' level of football over there. The quality of most players in the MLS is probably on a par with an average League 2 player over here.

In my last game with the New England Revolution after a few seasons the highest PA players who were drafted were 176, 174, and 163. There are amateur level players (yet to be drafted) with PAs of 189, 172, and 164.

In another game were I replaced Bob Bradley and led the U.S. to World Cup victory, the highest drafted PAs were 182, two with 176, and 168 (CA of 165! Playing at Partizan).

The above are all regens. The potential is there to develop very high level players but I don't know acheivable this would be with MLS clubs.

I don't think it's harsh. There are definitely obstacles to the US system making further progress compared to the top nations, but that's even farther off topic than this thread already is.

Looks like the answer to the OP is that the average FM game sees the US pretty much maintain its current stature. No prodigies, but a few who can find a spot on European rosters.

Ely-Matty: What's the issue with saying Onyewu is pretty good? He signed for A.C. Milan, and I'd say you'd have to be pretty good to do that. No one said he was world-class. Curious what your reply is based on.

I'm guessing it's because the MLS clubs don't have a real "proper" youth setup. They just get their players from the draft each year, from what are basically just school kids.

And players in the MLS don't really get an extended period of time training at one club. They get traded all over the place often.

Well, most teams have a youth academy, although not many have actually graduated to the first team. It's quite annoying that the youth academies don't produce any players.

The MLS recently changed their rules regarding this.

In the past, players that played for an MLS team academy still had to be selected in the draft.

Now, academy players can immediately be signed by the professional team.

Why do the US make it so complicated?

It's not that hard, but North American sports leagues believe in equality and parity(except MLB), that is why there are salary caps so A New York team can't outspend a team from Kansas. The MLS has all those regulations because the sport is growing, outside of a few MLS Markets, MLS is not that big and they struggle to bring in revenues, so it has to be strictly regulated so the financial health of the league as a whole remains healthy.

AbsoluteGenius: The problem isn't that to few kids play soccer. Most kids in the US plays soccer, but at a certain age they joins the bigger sports over there and quit soccer. Soccer has always been a hugely popular kids sport, but it has been viewed as that and nothing more. At least it is changing slowly for the better.

Not to turn this into a "how good is MLS" thread, but according to FM 2009 9.0.3. Database, the average starter in MLS is on par with the average starter on a top end Championship team: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=3200506&postcount=5

Take it for what you will.

Back on topic :p, lots of great players come through the Draft in my games. Most specifically there was a truly world class AM L that won the Champions League with both Barcelona and Manchester United.

Not to turn this into a "how good is MLS" thread, but according to FM 2009 9.0.3. Database, the average starter in MLS is on par with the average starter on a top end Championship team: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=3200506&postcount=5

IRL, the British players who come over here rate it at the level of the Championship.

As an example, Danny Dichio has scored 14 goals in 59 appearances for Toronto. He scored 5 in 63 for Preston, 17 in 48 for Milwall (2004-05), 12 in 63 for West Brom (2001-04).

FWIW, Freddie Ljungberg was quoted not long before the MLS all-stars v. Everton friendly as saying he thinks his Seattle team would hold its own in the Eredivisie.

Just sign a newgen MC from FC Dallas, with good technique, determined, and creative!

I'd say the chance to get top PA player is quite ramdom, though the chance to get decent player is basd on reputation, league standard & facility.

(BTW, I retained most top division teams all over the world inorder to get more newgens, and make the game more realistic)

It would be cool if 30 seasons into the future America becomes a major footballing power. It is only a matter of time until they dominate football like they do the other sports.

Agree.

Americans got top physical stats, with better technical & mental guidance, to be a major footballing power is foreseeable.

Well, that same system produces the best players in the world for Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and Football (american). It is in my opinion a very good one aswell, also, in europe I don't think we quite appreciate how competative and important college sports can be. For example, College Football (once again, American) games are show constantly during the season, and the NCAA Basketball playoffs are a big TV event from what I can gather.

What country in Europe televises a university soccer game???

As for the MLS debate, once it is big enough to drop the salary cap (and it appears to be growing fast aswell), it will completley dominate the Football/ASoccer world imo. For example, where would the next Brazilian superstar rather play when offered a $10million contract - LA or Manchester? Also, Americans do sport alot better, and they don't have a 'tradition' with the game, so they don't mind experimenting with the rules a little bit, and some US approaches to football would do the game wonders (US style clock, countdown timer for set pieces etc.)

Also, in the US a sportsman isn't considered a real man if he falls over or dives when tackled, so less stupid stopages, ie. make footballes act more like hockey players in the old NHL :p

The College System hardly produces the best baseball and hockey players. Most of the best baseball players enter the draft through highschool and the best hockey players are Canadians:D. College Basketball and Football are huge as you say which means it receives the best funding and coaching, while College soccer gets shafted.

You can't compare any other sport to soccer since they all have unique situations. American Football DEMANDS players to be huge so it's a requirement to go to college because high school players would just get smoked against their bigger NFL counterparts.

Well, that same system produces the best players in the world for Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and Football (american). It is in my opinion a very good one aswell, also, in europe I don't think we quite appreciate how competative and important college sports can be. For example, College Football (once again, American) games are show constantly during the season, and the NCAA Basketball playoffs are a big TV event from what I can gather.

What country in Europe televises a university soccer game???

As for the MLS debate, once it is big enough to drop the salary cap (and it appears to be growing fast aswell), it will completley dominate the Football/ASoccer world imo. For example, where would the next Brazilian superstar rather play when offered a $10million contract - LA or Manchester? Also, Americans do sport alot better, and they don't have a 'tradition' with the game, so they don't mind experimenting with the rules a little bit, and some US approaches to football would do the game wonders (US style clock, countdown timer for set pieces etc.)

Also, in the US a sportsman isn't considered a real man if he falls over or dives when tackled, so less stupid stopages, ie. make footballes act more like hockey players in the old NHL :p

The objective of the salary cap is to prevent a 'Big Four' from occurring to keep a competitive balance. If teams lose every year, there will no fans, which means no money, and the team will fold.

And in the first few seasons MLS have tried to make it 'Americanized' (US style clock and a penalty taking system where the player runs and shoots... :rolleyes:), but the hardcore fans disliked it, so MLS switched it back to the European style of soccer rules.

This is nonsense. The best American youth players do not have to play in college. The best players join MLS or sign in Europe at an early age.

Jozy Altidore is a perfect example. He finished high school after being drafted in the MLS and is just now 20 years old playing for Hull. DaMarcus Beasley never played in college. He signed with MLS when he was just 17 years old. Landon Donovan went straight from the American youth academy to Bayer Leverkusen.

Players who end up in the college ranks may eventually become outstanding players (Onyewu played two season in college), but generally they're late developers or simply will never be as good as the players who go straight from high school and the youth academies into the professional ranks.

Altidore looks to have the class to become the best player in American football history, and he will certainly be the best striker the country has ever produced. He will soon move up to a much bigger club than Hull.

Yeah, the problem with the college setup is the NCAA limits the number of games and practices. That's why the best college players typically go to the PDL in the summer, or leave college early.

As for the other sports, the NFL has a rule that says you have to be at least 3 years removed from your high-school graduation to be eligible for the draft. The NBA, IIRC, says one year (it wasn't that long ago you had many players declaring for the NBA draft straight out of high school).

Hockey is probably the closest to the soccer system. The bulk of North American players with NHL aspirations play in major junior (16- to 20-year-olds, though there's limits on how many 16- and 20-year-olds a team can have) where they're getting roughly 70 games in a season. Then they go in the NHL entry draft where they're either returned to major junior, assigned to minor-league affiliate, or allowed to go to college.

This is a somewhat off-topic question, but sort of not.

How the heck do you manually select a player in the draft when it comes around? All I saw was an "automatic" button, or the ability to pass (which takes me out of the rest of the draft).

Now, I passed because I was so far down the first round draft pick that all the decent players were gone, but I still couldn't figure out how to select a specific individual. Is this even possible, or do you just have the "auto" option, where (presumably) your assistant picks for you?

Archived