More Job Offers

I am currently the manager of Villarreal and in the first season I beat off Barcelona to finish 2nd, 2nd season I finished 3rd a couple of points behind Real Madrid in 2nd, in my 3rd season I finished 2nd on goal difference to Real Madrid. In my first attempt at champions league football I got to the semi-finals and lost to AC Milan. My team play short sharp attractive football that produces alot of goals. I have Spain obviously, Italy and England all open and yet I have not been offered a single job.

In my other long term save I have got Nantwich Town from the BSN to the prem with back to back promotions apart from one season. Once I got to the EPL I managed to stay up then improved each season until I won it. I got offered jobs when we were in the champship from Spurs and Man Utd and turned them both down, that was 6 years ago and since then nothing.

Am I alone in thinking there needs to be more job offers? Did me turning down 2 or 3 jobs when in championship up my loyalty stat and this in turn put clubs off offering me a job? In real life as manager of Villarreal there are a few teams who are seen as bigger such as Sevilla and A. Madrid I think at least one of them would have approached me by now but maybe I am wrong.

Do you get offered many jobs?

My reputation is continental.

Definitely. 10 seasons, 5 CL finals, 2 CL wins, 2 league wins and in all that time I had one job approach.

Btw, I started out at Udinese and won the league with them. Bigger clubs like Fiorentina, perhaps even Milan, would have been climbing over hot cheryl coles to bring me to their floundering clubs.

Definitely. 10 seasons, 5 CL finals, 2 CL wins, 2 league wins and in all that time I had one job approach.

Btw, I started out at Udinese and won the league with them. Bigger clubs like Fiorentina, perhaps even Milan, would have been climbing over hot cheryl coles to bring me to their floundering clubs.

In my Sunderland save I have won 6 EPL titles in a row, 4 champions league titles, 4 FA Cups and 4 league cups but have never been offered a single job.

I suppose you could argue that due to your success Sunderland now have a bigger rep than other clubs, so you're less likely to get an offer. However, after one title with Sunderland, you should porbably be high on most PL chairmen's list and you would probably get a job offer before you get anywhere near 6 titles.

you both have fairly successful records at your clubs and have been there for a long period time. It's more likely the length of time at the club that raises the loyalty stat. After all the most successful manager in the UK is Ferguson and when was the last time he was offered a job or mentioned when Milan or Madrid are after a new manager. Never. Because all club know/think he wont leave Man U.

If your interested in a job and your not getting offered declare your interest and resign. The you'll be offered the job if they want you.

Optimistic, I reckon it's just a matter that AI's only approach human managers once in a blue moon, regardless of how long they've been at a club.

It took 10 years for me to be approached by another club on 08, 10 years with one club and 10 league titles. The longer they leave it, the more unapproachable you are, because the more loyal you become.

If you're considered loyal to the club, too big a manager or have a contract of some length that would cause compensation issues then that might put teams off I think. Unless as Stevereay suggests you declare interest or perhaps resign.

At the other end of the scale I've had plenty of job offers when starting from the bottom. After a season or so to establish myself as a manager I find I'm linked with plenty of jobs and start to get offered 1-2 jobs per season. Though this number can change depending on how many leagues I'm running and how many open positions there are generally.

For example in one save running the Italian, French, German and English leagues I went from Varese to Messina, to Wrexham, to Southampton and was then offered the Cardiff job. All of the job offers came when I was already at a club bar the Wrexham one. Each job was also a 'step up' though in terms of the level the club was playing at.

I don't often manage at the top :) But do you find you get linked with many jobs in the news?

If you're considered loyal to the club, too big a manager or have a contract of some length that would cause compensation issues then that might put teams off I think. Unless as Stevereay suggests you declare interest or perhaps resign.

Yes, but the problem is; if you get success within two seasons, at a small club, big clubs would approach you. It should never get to the point where you have been at a small club, performing above expectations, for so long that clubs are put of approaching you because of your loyalty.

Yes, but the problem is; if you get success within two seasons, at a small club, big clubs would approach you. It should never get to the point where you have been at a small club, performing above expectations, for so long that clubs are put of approaching you because of your loyalty.

That's true, there should be attempts to poach you even if you do say no. Playing at the lower end though I've not had problems with being approached or being heavily linked with a job even if I've been at a club some time. In the example with Messina I'd been there for 5 seasons and I was still getting the occasional offer despite performing well/being loyal. It could be that it's easier from the lower levels to jump 'up' than it is at the higher levels to move 'up' or even 'across'. Which again, shouldn't be so ideally.

Do you get linked to jobs often? Or asked if you would consider an open position? If you're getting linked often then it might be a case of almost being there in terms of job offers. It might just require some speculation in the media on your part. However if you're not getting linked often then that sounds like you're not being considered in ANY way for the job, which is a big problem. Being linked and then not going sounds like a loyalty issue or perhaps a contractual one. Not being linked at all despite success would be different.

It's a game and it's nice when lots happens imo, it can get a little samey after a few seasons; it's testament to everyone's love of the sport that FM has such longevity, but I think the game could do more to maintain interest and excitement.

Do you get linked to jobs often? Or asked if you would consider an open position? If you're getting linked often then it might be a case of almost being there in terms of job offers. It might just require some speculation in the media on your part. However if you're not getting linked often then that sounds like you're not being considered in ANY way for the job, which is a big problem. Being linked and then not going sounds like a loyalty issue or perhaps a contractual one. Not being linked at all despite success would be different.

I do get linked with jobs, every season and almost every top job, but i'm never offered them, unless I declare interest.

The only time I get considered is if the current manager is coming to the end of his contract. On my game Arsene Wenger moved to Roma from Arsenal and Arsenal bumped Pat Rice up to manager. So the loyalty thing needs to work for the AI aswell as the human manager I have been at Villarreal for 2 season when this happened. Arsene would have been at Arsenal for 14 years then he went to Roma so they must have offered him a job that is no different to me being offered a job in my Sunderland game.

I do get linked with jobs, every season and almost every top job, but i'm never offered them, unless I declare interest.

Sucks having to declare interest to get the offer. Does put you out on a limb with your current club, and as has been mentioned you'd expect to get some offers regardless of whether you've declared an interest or not. Poaching attempts should happen.

I'm getting a feeling that there is a top level/bottom level split though. It seems to me that the offers and how they come in might need changing for the small -> big clubs at the upper end, but not so much at the lower end where movement seems to be a lot more free.

So the loyalty thing needs to work for the AI aswell as the human manager I have been at Villarreal for 2 season when this happened. Arsene would have been at Arsenal for 14 years then he went to Roma so they must have offered him a job that is no different to me being offered a job in my Sunderland game.

Good point. Hadn't noticed things like that myself but yeah, if they've approached a top class manager who's been at the club for 14 years then there's no reason why a human manager of 2 years shouldn't be approached due to loyalty.

The only other factor I can think of at the moment that might have made a difference there is if Wengers contract was running out and he didn't extend it, then a club might be more likely to swoop in.

If I remember correctly if you have a longer contract you are less likely to be sacked due to financial reasons. Maybe if you have a long contract you are less likely to be approached for the same reason? It shouldn't have a massive effect at the top level though due to all the money being splashed about anyway.

:O I think I'm paid about 4k a week on my Messina save.

I think, although I might be wrong, if you're on a rolling contract no compensation has to be paid. Also means it's easier for you to be sacked though.

Agreed with all.

I used to start unemployed and wait many many months until a job offer came about. In the meantime, I'd manage a national team (usually from West Africa).

What I also do is, in between seasons, I go on vacation for 30 or 60 days and config it to apply for jobs (I choose "first division"). That's a bit of a lottery though.

Btw, this is my first post in this forum. I love WSM 09 but never had the chance to visit the forum. Many thanks.

Thanks AcidBurn.

I remember the rep option (I chose something like "retired professional"), but I can't recall where I can change that, as I was never asked that question again, even though I re-entered myself as a new head.

Would you please tell me where the rep option can be found? Thanks.

Its all about reputation. If your reputation is high u will get offered jobs if not thyen u wont get offered them.

Whenever my reputation gets to world class or even international, i get absolutely loads of job offers from clubs. And if u want some offers then declare interest in a club and then if u have a high rep they might offer it to u

Its all about reputation. If your reputation is high u will get offered jobs if not thyen u wont get offered them.

Whenever my reputation gets to world class or even international, i get absolutely loads of job offers from clubs. And if u want some offers then declare interest in a club and then if u have a high rep they might offer it to u

I am sorry but that is wrong, I have had world class reputation for at least 8 seasons now and still haven't been offered another job. Did you even read what we have posted surely you can see that winning champions league 4 times along with 6 EPL title and numberous domestic cups will result in having a world class rep.

Out of all the reasons it must be the compensation one. I have been the most successful manager in the world for over a decade and no clubs want me. Or it could be because I'm so successful other clubs might think offering me a job is pointless as I'd obviously turn it down.

I think its most likely to be the loyalty stat, alot of europes biggest teams have huge finances so compensation should be no problem. Then again 325k a week would be millions and millions of comp. Bit off topic but I always wondered if the club you leave gets compensation or not, does the money actually go into their balance?

I think its most likely to be the loyalty stat, alot of europes biggest teams have huge finances so compensation should be no problem. Then again 325k a week would be millions and millions of comp. Bit off topic but I always wondered if the club you leave gets compensation or not, does the money actually go into their balance?

It's not something I've checked but I'd be interested to see if the compensation does go into the balance. You get compensated for other members of staff so the mechanism is certainly in the game for calculating it and adding it. It's just a question of whether it does for human managers.

It shouldn't be a big factor for big clubs though like you say, instead it should effect the lower leagues more where money is tight. So either it's not that or the contracts I've been on aren't big enough/long enough to cause a major issue.

It could well be loyalty but then it doesn't seem to have the same effect at the lower levels. Would also make the loyalty stat a double edged sword.

I have been using an edited database where I gave some top managers contracts at lower league clubs. I used FMRTE to put the managers on 500k a week for 15 years these contracts were all working when I carried on the game. I holidayed for 1 season and they all stayed. I holidayed for a second season and 4 out of 5 had left. I know I used an editor but they had a 500k a week contract at a stinking rich club for 14 years. The compensation would have been huge, does this mean compensation plays no part in being offered a new job?

Its funny hearing everyone complaining of not getting offers, in my save I started unemployed, and got a job at Shelbourne in Ireland. I took them to 2nd place after a few months but didn't get on with the chairman. After a few months I got the Southampton job, taking them from 23rd to safety in the last 2 months of the season. Not an overly impressive CV. In the summer, I'm made second favorite for Bolton, Blackburn and (unbelievably) Man Utd jobs, as well as Ajax and Hamburg off the Isles. I also receive offers from 7 (7!?!) MLS clubs. Strange...

In my experience the job offers I've received have always been very realistic:

1. Started out unemployed with Amateur experience. Offered the Mansfield Town job from the outset. Won the BSP as predicted, and both non-league cups.

Second season whilst top of League 2 got offered other higher reputation but lower league position league 2 jobs, which I declined. Won League 2 and just prior to the end of the season got a job offer from Leicester whose relegation from the championship had just been confirmed, which I accepted as I had exhausted what I could achieve with Mansfield.

2. Started out at Tottenham with International footballer experience. Finished 5th in my first season and win the the UEFA cup.

Going well in my second season win the league cup and around the same time (3rd in league) Fiorentina approach me, which I decline. Ultimately fade to 5th this season despite being in the title race with 2 games to go and an away loss against Middlesbrough costs me champions league football. Go out of the UEFA cup in teh semi-final stage to one of the big Italian teams.

Third season finish second in the league and win my second UEFA cup. On the way I'm overlooked for the England job in favour of Pearce, though I didn't apply. However when Ferguson retires I'm offered the Man Utd job, which I decline.

So in my very limited experience SI have this aspect spot on.

Though I would question how the game decides between two human players as the 2nd game mentioned contains my brother as Man City through network, who has also done fairly well, yet is yet to be offered a job. Probably due to his higher current wages I suspect.

I agree with jswifty. I also started unemployed with automatic experience and i have been working up my way through the ranks jumping from club to club. I've had 6 clubs in 12 seasons with some succesfull (AFC Wimbledon and Artmedia Bratislava) and some less successfull (Rosenborg BK and Hull City). Anyway, i get more and more interests from clubs as i grow as a manager. Now im at FC Twente and allready got an offer from Lazio after i finished 2nd in the Dutch League and survived the Europa League group stage with Twente. So for me aswell this area is good enough.

There have been several threads with a lot of good research about manager reputation in the past.

The summary from what I can recall: A human manager will be considered for any job vacancy of a club that falls within the repuation range of the manager, along with similar computer manager. The computer will first try and sign the most suitable (ie the highest reputation) manager without a contract. The AI doesn't want to pay severance pay if they can avoid it. If they can't find that on their shortlist they'll go for the other candidates. This is one of the seasons why you'll get linked to job quite often (as you qualify by rep) but will only get offers a fraction of those times.

on my game I've won the league 5 times in a row with Chelsea, but I'm thinking of leaving at the end of my contract and maybe dropping down a few divisions... will this be possible?

Sure. You should have the pick of the teams. And it's a great way to revitalize a save. It's what I do myself as well.

I've taken my Bishop's Stortford from the BSN/S to my first year in the Premier League in the 2023/2024 season and received plenty of media speculation since the time I first reached the Championship. Now-a-days I'm linked with pretty much every job, although I've only received a handful of actual offers.

I think there's a number of factors at play here:

(1) I think a lot of this has to do with my (disgustingly) low salary of $6K a week. For example, my most recent offer was from Chelsea who were willing to bump my pay up to $85K a week; paying off the remaining $300K or so of my salary is nothing. Severance pay seems to be a huge consideration for the AI when choosing a manager.

(2) Reputation is split between "domestic" and "international". For example, if you spend all your time in England, you're more likely to be linked to just the English jobs since your "international" rep will lag behind your "domestic" rep. The majority of offers I've received have been from English sides, but the occasional foreign job is offered because I spent a couple years managing (somewhat unsuccessfully) Uruguay.

(3) Anecdotally, it seems the longer you play into the future, the fewer high reputation managers around the world. So basically, the longer you play, the more likely you'll have one of the top reputations and thus be offered jobs. My reputation is now "Continental" but I am probably top five in reputation in the English leagues.

(4) I've never been offered a job I declined interest in. You may be able to get away with remaining silent if you don't want to ruffle your current club's feathers and still get an offer. To me, this aspect of the game seems pretty realistic. Generally the rumor mills link managers to potential vacancies well before the club gets around to offering a deal and if Arsene Wenger says he's not interested in the Real Madrid job they're not likely to force the issue.

Whether or nt you get offered a job seems to be really inconsistent from country to country. I started out in Brazil and despite taking Volta Redonda to Serie A in three seasons, didn't get offered a single job. I then went to Gimnasia in Argentina and won everything (league, Copa Sudamericana, Copa Libertadores, Recopa, World Club Cup) but was only offered one job - Lokomotive Moscow. I have spent the last two and a half seasons managing Modena, and have been offered Wolfsberg, Werder Bremen, Schalke, and Fiorentina all in the last year.

Do South American clubs never offer people jobs?

Archived