how do i activate 2nd hand game?

Bought 2009 from ebay but can't get it to load on computer. Goes through the "steam" thing but when it gets to the key code its obviously been used by the bloke i bought it from and therefore will go no further!! How do i get around this problem and can i just load the game without the steam thing like in the old days? I just want to play the game!!:mad:

I do not think that people who have spent £30 on a game, should be stopped from passing the old game on to a friend or relative, after they have bought FM 2010. Is there no way that after the FM 2010 release, all the activation codes can be cancelled by Sports Interactive, so that we can pass our old game on. I always give my old FMs to my nephew, when I buy the new game. It looks like he won't be getting it this year.

I have everything including the manual...when i type in the key code it tells me it has been registered already and doesn't go any further! Could the previous owner uninstall and cancel the code from his steam account? or has he sold the game and is maybe continuing to play it via steam? I shall be getting in contact with him

I do not think that people who have spent £30 on a game, should be stopped from passing the old game on to a friend or relative, after they have bought FM 2010. Is there no way that after the FM 2010 release, all the activation codes can be cancelled by Sports Interactive, so that we can pass our old game on. I always give my old FMs to my nephew, when I buy the new game. It looks like he won't be getting it this year.

I remember around release time last year SI said this is exactly what would happen - that is activation codes would be cancelled.

In the past you'd need to give your nephew the disc and wouldn't be able to play yourself.

In FM2009 if you were giving the game away or selling it on by right you should have uninstalled the game.

I have everything including the manual...when i type in the key code it tells me it has been registered already and doesn't go any further! Could the previous owner uninstall and cancel the code from his steam account? or has he sold the game and is maybe continuing to play it via steam? I shall be getting in contact with him

Have you tried deactivating the keycode using this url? - http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Not sure if it works with steam though

Contact him, but he's probably conned you I'm afraid..

Do what giggs129 said, that is your best bet. After you put your license key in you should be able to deactivate his accounts, and by the sounds of it he has used all 5 (?) slots you are allowed. Hopefully he hasn't wrote down the license key as well or it could end up being a vicious cycle :(

Contact him, but he's probably conned you I'm afraid..

I do too..

You'd be surprised how low even friends go.

A friend of mind bought second hand RAM from a "very close" friend not too long ago. He paid 100% over market price for second hand RAM. When I told my friend that he'd been conned, he went back to his friend who told him that it wasn't his fault he was dumb enough to pay that much.

I went a bit off topic there, but the levels people, even close friends sink to.. it's just unbelievable.

i sussed it! I was getting a choice just didnt realise! went through "uniloc" instead of steam and it worked like it used to! When it came to putting the key in i tried it and it worked (via internet not steam) Thanks for all replies.:thup:

i sussed it! I was getting a choice just didnt realise! went through "uniloc" instead of steam and it worked like it used to! When it came to putting the key in i tried it and it worked (via internet not steam) Thanks for all replies.:thup:

I was going to suggest activating via Uniloc, however you seemed to have figured it out.

For anyone who does have a second hand copy, the best thing to do (and most of the time it will work unless all 5 seats are used up), is use Uniloc. Don't bother with Steam.

Archived