My first cheat, I just had to do it...

Lesh

There I was, managing Deportivo Cali, 1 week before my first ever Copa Libertadores final second leg against River Plate (1-1 at home in the 1st leg) when I check my team's fixtures page and realise that of the 25 players registered for the competition, 23 of them were unavailable due to international call-ups. All I had left were 2 RWB :eek:.

I knew I won't be able to postpone the game and I had to field a squad of worthless "grey players". This seemed to be so unrealistic, and I am sure this would never ever ever EVER take place in real life, so I had to make my first cheat ever :( :I introduced 7 new national managers and cancelled their upcoming friendlies so I would have at least 15 players available for my final.

I won 2-0 but the victory wasn't as sweet as I expected maybe because this problem of simultaneous fixtures both international and league ones continues to persists since CM20/01 I think, and it really gives the game a huge blow at its realistic side.

I for one don't really care about the 3d, the press conferences, and even the new fm10 tactical editor, all I really want is realism.

Now I shall retreat to the forest away from the public eye, with my conscience stained as I will forever be known as "The guy who didn't want to manage unknown useless grey players in the most important game of the season (Wenger, Fergie and Mourinho surely woud have done it) and had to cheat.":(

I just encountered the international call-ups bug. Was about to play my first European tie in my career game, now with Wolves in 2019. Turns out I had to field a load of YTS players and has-beens. Thankfully it was the 4th qualifying round so only had to face some iddy Croatian team, drawing 0-0 away. With the home leg at Moliniuex still to come, I didn't bother trying to alter the situation in favour of 'realism'. I can see why you did it however! Did River also suffer from call-ups?

I too hope this is fixed for FM2010 - is it common in FM09, because this is the first time I've encountered it?

If it was only a friendly, you could have withdrawn the players. Or was your match scheduled AFTER the national call-up?

The match would have been scheduled back in September when competition started, so the only obstacle to call-ups would have been uncertainty to qualfication.

It seems to me you could have avoided this by paying attention to the dates of International call ups when they appear in your inbox and withdrawing all players possible from their national games.

That's not cheating. The game would have been cheating (cheating you out of a win).

:rolleyes: The game cannot cheat! It's a game, it has no desire to win, it has no thoughts of its own, and because there are so many modules within the game, how could one of them cheat to help another that it doesn't know is also part of the game?

It seems to me you could have avoided this by paying attention to the dates of International call ups when they appear in your inbox and withdrawing all players possible from their national games.

Do you always cross reference international dates with league schedule?

Good to know most of you guys don't consider this as a cheat. I just wanted to point out the thing that irritates me the most with FM, as I've always got over major realism bugs regarding the transfer system, or the "corner bug" in the past instalments.

The match was scheduled the very same day as international friendlies and I think that in real life Football Asociations do everything to prevent this. This is a bug that keeps on happening, I remember once in FM07 I was managing Newcastle, I was somewhere in 2016 and I had my FA Cup final set in june in the middle of the European Championship and I had half my team with their nations, luckily I had my youngsters to fill in the gap so it didn't bother me too much, even so I think this mixed fixtures are highly improbable in real life. The problem this time is that for the Libertadores I had a list of 25 plyers registered and could not use my young guns.

@Matt6

I was so excited of playing my first major final that I overlooked the news where I was informed about the call-ups, I'm sure you know what type of excitement I'm talking about ;)

@Stantoner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elrithral

If people are so worried about getting called a cheat, why do they create a thread telling people that they think they cheated?

Confessions, like the Catholics, gerrit off your chest and all that

Exactly:thup:

:rolleyes: The game cannot cheat! It's a game, it has no desire to win, it has no thoughts of its own, and because there are so many modules within the game, how could one of them cheat to help another that it doesn't know is also part of the game?
It wouldn't know it was cheating. It would simply be a fault in its system that allows all of the players to be unavailable for a big match. I class anything as cheating which wouldn't happen in real life. You would be cheated out of a win.

I think it was a theoretical statement.

I'm not sure I class this as a cheat. I remember on FM2005 when I was managing River Plate and I had to face Boca Juniors in the Copa Libertadores final with both of my registered goalkeepers away on international duty. I was forced to put an outfield player in goal and ended up losing something like 7-1.

You're just working around a flaw in the game, something which I did on my New Zealand international save on FM2006 where I signed any NZ players who had been free agents for a while to Australian clubs to stop them unrealistically retiring. That for me enhanced my gaming experience and I didn't feel bad about it, and I feel the same way about this situation.

Like you being a manager or taking a conference team to the Premiership in 10 seasons?
It is possible, and probable, that it could happen in real life e.g. Doncaster Rovers were in the conference in 2003. They are now in the Championship. It is not hard to believe that another club (or Doncaster themselves before 2013) could repeat such a feat and take it one further. However, I find it impossible to believe that a team's cup final chances would be ruined due to international call-ups.

I had a similar situation recently when nearly my whole first team and half of my reserves/youths were called up for international duty during the Uefa Super Cup. The fact that the Russian team i was playing only had grey players anyway meant they didn;t suffer the effects of call ups and unsuprisingly won. So i felt a bit hard done by, but it was only the Super cup so it didn't bother me really. But if i'd been in the same situation as the OP, in a continental final, i don't know what i would have done.

It is possible, and probable, that it could happen in real life e.g. Doncaster Rovers were in the conference in 2003. They are now in the Championship. It is not hard to believe that another club (or Doncaster themselves before 2013) could repeat such a feat and take it one further. However, I find it impossible to believe that a team's cup final chances would be ruined due to international call-ups.

I notice you ignored the first point.

i dont blame you at all for doin this. had a similar problem on 08 when managing in the Hong Kong league. They have a 2 game "tournament" where they use the pick of the players from their domestic league against another team. it got to the stage that my team were so dominant domestically, they they called um my entire first 11, and subs! luckily it was only usually a league or cup match that suffered, but why there was another fixture on that day, ill never know. AND i never got the option to withdraw the players either.. believe me, i looked...

I recognise that having players called up for international friendlies on a cup final day is frustrating and probably should not happen.

However, looking at the size of the cup you have reached the final of... would it not be the case that your opponents would also have most of their squad called up for international duty too, and thus face the same problems as you? And if so, then that would make all things equal, would it not? Just a thought.

In real life, if enough players are called up (25% of the first team from memory, but not sure if it's official) the club's league/cup body always postpone the match. The manager shouldn't have to pay attention to anything - that's just a workaround for an issue that wasn't resolved with the 9.3.0 patch. Therefore, the OP is just working around the problem his own way.

As in more than 90% of all threads containing the word 'cheat' in their title, I don't get the point of this thread.

If it served the purpose to report a bug it should be where it belongs. Other than that I couldn't care less who cheats, in which way or why and somehow I think that is true for pretty much anyone else on here as well.

Completely agree with you.

I had this in a premiership match away to Wolves. The bulk of my team was called up but luckily I had a few who werent called up. I had to fill the gaps with youth players and I lost the match 4-2, a match I probably would have won.

Archived