The Great War - FM09/10 Challenge (Draft)

This is my first attempt at a challenge, so please bear that in mind. Hopefully some people will start this save in 09, but I udnerstand that's unlikely because 10 is coming soon. I'm opening this for those who want to try it in the interim and to get some pointers on how to improve it for FM10. All constructive comments/suggestions welcome.

It’s 1939 and it’s time to pick your side, the Allies or the Axis. In order to advance you will need to load the following nations, Poland, Belgium/Holland/France, Russia, Italy, England/Germany. It’s up to you what patch/update you use and it’s up to you how many divisions from each league you load, but the route to victory depends on the path you choose. Your path is decided by the manager name you choose, John Smith for Allies, Hans Dietrich for Axis.

How long you spend at each club, is up to you. You can hold on until a club you want to join becomes available.

Poland

Axis – Begin your career in Poland, invade their league and gain control. Your team is Wisla Krakow, you’re far stronger than those who stand in your path. To complete your invasion and gain full control, win a domestic double/treble.

Allies – The Axis now control Poland, it is your job to break their stranglehold and free Poland from Axis control. Your team is Lech Poznan, you’re strong and capable, but lack the support to get the job done quickly. To free the Polish people and expel the Axis' from Poland you must gain control; win a domestic double/treble.

Belgium/Holland/France

Axis – Having captured Poland and asserted your dominance, it’s time to move across Europe and towards the coast. This task won’t be as easy as Poland, the Dutch, Belgian and French are far stronger. Take control of a Euro Cup qualifier, do battle with the elite Champions League forces and win the domestic league and cup double to gain control.

Allies – You’ve saved Poland, but German troops have control of Belgium/Holland/France. With the Axis forces only a channel swim away and in charge of one of Europe’s most powerful nations it’s your job to drive them out and free the people. Take control of a Euro Cup qualifier and do battle with the elite Champions League Axis forces, win a domestic league and cup double to regain control for the Allies.

Russia

Axis – You’re making steady progress through Europe and asserting your authority, what better way to celebrate than capture the largest country and one of the strongest armies. Take control of any team in the top division and win the domestic league and cup double to gain control.

Allies – The Axis continue to invade and capture, you continue to track their every move. They have captured Russia and with it a substantial portion of territory. Take control of any team in the top division and win the domestic league and cup double to push the Axis out and regain control for the Allies.

Italy

Axis – Once a partner, they turned their back on you. Your forces now control the lions share of Europe and it’s time to add another country to you list, teaching them a lesson in the process. Take control of any team in Italy and win the domestic double to gain full control and edge closer to that final victory.

Allies – The Axis have turned their attentions to Italy, you’ve done well so far to keep them at bay and as they grow weaker, you get closer to victory and elimination of the Axis regime. Take control of any team and break the Axis control, pushing them back to Germany, by winning the domestic double.

England/Germany

Axis – Victory is in sight. You control mainland Europe and all that stands in your way are the British. Win your war! Finish what you started. Win a domestic treble, with a relegation candidate, to complete the Axis takeover of Europe.

Allies – They are against the ropes, you’ve pushed them back to their doorstep and saved Europe from Axis power. Finish the job and destroy the Axis. Win a domestic treble, with a relegation candidate, to complete the Allies victory in the Great War.

I don't think it's a rubbish idea for a challenge, controversial perhaps. I remember a Nazi/Allies based sign up a while ago and the general response was that it was inappropriate etc. I think add that to the fact that it is near impossible for a challenge other than the Small club to Big club ones to get much of a following on here, gives you the reason as to why you haven't had any posts so far.

I must admit I had a little look and did wonder at the use of the word Nazi.

The conclusion I came to however was that the challenge itself isn't in poor taste, and in fact that it's actually reasonably well thought out.

The problem is that any use of the term Nazi, (while not inapproproate), just engenders bad feeling from many and attracts others, (that I'm not sure anyone in their right mind want to attract).

Maybe one solution might be to just use the term Axis instead of Nazi's (ie Axis & Allies).

I am pretty sure that if the word Nazi had never appeared here then you would have got a more favourable response.

The other thing I would suggest is maybe using the US/J Leagues as part of the challenge. they were both major players in the war after all.

I don't think it's inappropriate, it was 70 years ago. I think it's a good idea, and I would definitely give it a go if I had the time.
I don't think everyone shares that view though. I remember vaguely from the ideas thread about a potential US Civil War sign up or something, where someone who didn't really know what they were talking about wanted to create two teams, one with the best white footballers in the world and another with the best black footballers in the world. As you can imagine, it didn't go down to well.

To be honest I don't have a problem with it because you know it's only a challenge for a Football Manager game, I'm a fairly laid back person and it's fairly obvious that this is just light hearted challenge material. However you know some people, they don't see it like that, and if a lot of people are against the idea of this challenge, then it's best not on here.

EDIT: I think I agree with Jimbo about the use of the word 'Nazi' and that without using it you would get a better response.

That's different though, that's Blacks v Whites which of course is inappropriate. If you did the US Civil war between the North and the South I think that'd be a good idea for something.

I agree with the Nazis word usage thing, I think just using Germans would be fine.

You know, I hmmed and ahhed over using Nazis, but couldn't think of anything relevant :rolleyes: Stoopid me, i've changed it to Axis, thanks for the suggestions and apologies if anyone has taken offence.

I considered adding USA and Japan, but didn't want to have too many leagues loaded and or make it too long/too difficult a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

So, anybody up for being part of the axis? In all seriousness that part of the career thread is going to cause controversy, as you are effectively trying to win the war for the nazis. Perhaps if you ditched that option, and instead focused on the allied mission? You could start with a low rep polish club, then a midrange french side, then have to win the champions league with an english side (to reprsent the battle of Britain), then back to europe through Italy, France (possibly with the same club as last time) and finally Germany. Nobody could have any real problems with that.

So, anybody up for being part of the axis? In all seriousness that part of the career thread is going to cause controversy, as you are effectively trying to win the war for the nazis. Perhaps if you ditched that option, and instead focused on the allied mission? You could start with a low rep polish club, then a midrange french side, then have to win the champions league with an english side (to reprsent the battle of Britain), then back to europe through Italy, France (possibly with the same club as last time) and finally Germany. Nobody could have any real problems with that.

Its a game :thup:

Your not a Nazi for trying this with the Axis.

Archived