Man City going to make unreal signings from interview.

In the interview with Jon McClure testing stuff at SI I think Miles said that in year 2 since Liverpool and or Arsenal were both not in CL he was able to sign the likes of Gerrard and Fabregas for Man City....... I highly doubt this would ever happen as Steven wouldn't leave Liverpool no matter what and Cesc would most likely go back to Barcy. This kind of unrealistic stuff is going to kill the game. Sure Man City will be able to get good talent possibly world class but I mean those 2 players are top of the world class heap and I think Miles and Co. have taken the limits of what is real and what is fantasy a little too far imo. Have a listen.

Furthermore, I just saw this in the Daily Mirror and Miles says that SI have listened to the community and have implemented some changes according to user feedback, but I was reading another thread where one of the mods and I think, I THINK Miles said they really didn't look at the feedback section of the fourms for like 5 years or something. My info my be off a bit but that was the general post. Also Miles might not have said but if that is the case it was for sure a mod. My gripe is that if we are being listened to, why then are mods on here saying otherwise???

http://www.mirror.co.uk/video/sport/2009/09/01/football-spy-meets-football-manager-115875-21640146/

If they continue to be in CL and Liverpool and Arsenal not, then it seems quite possible in general if they threw a lot of money after them. Maybe Gerrard is an exceptionally loyal player and indeed might not do that irl but I wouldn't put some money on City being able to get anyone if they play CL and offer unlimited cash...

And remember it's a game and it's less fun if some players are simply unavailable to sign for anyone no matter what...

If they continue to be in CL and Liverpool and Arsenal not, then it seems quite possible in general if they threw a lot of money after them. Maybe Gerrard is an exceptionally loyal player and indeed might not do that irl but I wouldn't put some money on City being able to get anyone if they play CL and offer unlimited cash...

And remember it's a game and it's less fun if some players are simply unavailable to sign for anyone no matter what...

I guess I'm looking at it from a prestige perspective. No matter if CL is the draw Man City don't have the pedigree to compete with teams would might or IRL do want to resign a youth player. The example I'm giving is about Cesc going to Man City which I just can't see. I could see him going to Barcy to reconnect with his old stomping grounds. I can understand that Miles is probably enjoying himself but what about when I play as Spurs and this kind of nonsense happens??? It's going to ruin game play for me.

Also these signings were made in a year's time. Seems a tad unreal too me.

Well Gerrard was very close to sign for Chelsea not so long ago.. But then Liverpool started to actually win something and do well in the league.. It they hadn't he (Gerrard) would probably be wearing a blue shirt today..! Loyalty is good, but personal ambition is greater for most players..

And you say its unrealistic if Cesc leaves Arsenal in the game? - Well he left Barca didnt he? ;) - Money talks, player walks! ;)

Well Gerrard was very close to sign for Chelsea not so long ago.. But then Liverpool started to actually win something and do well in the league.. It they hadn't he (Gerrard) would probably be wearing a blue shirt today..! Loyalty is good, but personal ambition is greater for most players..

And you say its unrealistic if Cesc leaves Arsenal in the game? - Well he left Barca didnt he? ;) - Money talks, player walks! ;)

very true about the money. im a villa fan and barry said he leave for champions league football only then he left for a club thats not even in europe. and the say he has doubled hes wages.

but look at the two arsenal players that signed for man city this tansfer window anyway. somethink like £41 million for the both.who would have thought that would happen?

The reason they got those 2 African players is because Arsene knows they will be leaving for the African cup of nations so they will be out of action for a big chunk of when that happens. If that wasn't the case I don't think he would have been so eager to sell.

Herter... Cesc left cause he wasn't in the first team. I don't think he played one pro game at Barca at all. He was just in there youth system so playing first team football for a club like Arsenal made sense. Also Barca had incredible depth and talent there at the time and they still do. It's all about the circumstances and I think this is one area where the game is really lacking. Understanding circumstances. Also about the Gerrard thing. Chelesa had CL football and also has the I guess prestige and ambition you would want to see. I can't see Gerrard going to a potential nothren rival of Liverpool. I think it would have made more sense to go and be with JT and Fat Frank. Although Barry is on Man City and Steven and Barry are very good friends so Iono. I think at that time it becomes an issue that goes down to the manager and the clubs. Again would rafa let Steven leave to go to Man City... I don't think so. I think they would try to find a world class replacement and if they could then they would let him go. If not then he stays. Circumstances.

I agree on your not on Cesc, but I dont think you quite understand how the football world works today.. Money rules the world of football and thats it..! SOME players are willing to stay at their club no matter what, but in 99,9% cases the club is doing well (top-club in the league an regular in CL) or the player is not world class (then the interest isnt that huge and they wont be offered huge salaries).

Gerrard, which is regarded as one of the most loyal players was VERY close to sign for a rival club! - Same with John Terry.. close to sign for City. If Liverpool and Chelsea started to perform poorly and ended in 5-8th spot 2-3 years, do you think those players would stay on? Probably not if some rich club is waving an insanely huge paycheck!

I agree on your not on Cesc, but I dont think you quite understand how the football world works today.. Money rules the world of football and thats it..! SOME players are willing to stay at their club no matter what, but in 99,9% cases the club is doing well (top-club in the league an regular in CL) or the player is not world class (then the interest isnt that huge and they wont be offered huge salaries).

Gerrard, which is regarded as one of the most loyal players was VERY close to sign for a rival club! - Same with John Terry.. close to sign for City. If Liverpool and Chelsea started to perform poorly and ended in 5-8th spot 2-3 years, do you think those players would stay on? Probably not if some rich club is waving an insanely huge paycheck!

i didnt know terry was close to signing for man city.

"Furthermore, I just saw this in the Daily Mirror and Miles says that SI have listened to the community and have implemented some changes according to user feedback, but I was reading another thread where one of the mods and I think, I THINK Miles said they really didn't look at the feedback section of the fourms for like 5 years or something."

I think you've misunderstood. SI ALWAYS listen to the community. For FM10 they've drafted on board some of the key tactical analysts from these forums. What Miles said was that some suggestions logged into some bugs database got overlooked fo rup to 5 years. Other sources of ideas from the community like this one hear has always been checked by SI - as you know because they frequently respond to posts.

Not trying to talk you down by implying you dont know how football world works.. bad choice of words.. it was meant in a "you forgot to consider this" way.. :)

I understand and I agree. I guess I'm just kinda of upset that this is what football is becoming and for me I'm more into loyalties and sometimes the drama that goes with players breaking that i.e: Sol Campbell. Now its just a bidding war rather then a more human interaction. I don't want to have to become the heaviest spender in the market to get good players. Look at HR for example. The guy bought tremdous talent at minimal fees. Kranjcar for 2.5 million pounds is an absolute steal. I mean that guy easily could go for 20+ mil if he wasn't due out of contract(Circumstance of us getting him for so low). I just want to be able to pull off bargain buys like this in game and I truly don't believe I will cause the comp is going to be stupid in that it won't allow me to sign and at least give them some money or else that player leaves on a free the next season. I guess this ties in with wanting there to be more circumstantial stuff going on in the transfer market which in turn would allow more detail and drama to keep you interested as a player. It seems a bit boring to just outbid everyone and get good players.

"Furthermore, I just saw this in the Daily Mirror and Miles says that SI have listened to the community and have implemented some changes according to user feedback, but I was reading another thread where one of the mods and I think, I THINK Miles said they really didn't look at the feedback section of the fourms for like 5 years or something."

I think you've misunderstood. SI ALWAYS listen to the community. For FM10 they've drafted on board some of the key tactical analysts from these forums. What Miles said was that some suggestions logged into some bugs database got overlooked fo rup to 5 years. Other sources of ideas from the community like this one hear has always been checked by SI - as you know because they frequently respond to posts.

Thanks for the proper update. I went to the other thread and saw people getting upset cause SI reps were saying they have not been looking at the data for some time. But thanks on clearing that up.

I understand and I agree. I guess I'm just kinda of upset that this is what football is becoming and for me I'm more into loyalties and sometimes the drama that goes with players breaking that i.e: Sol Campbell. Now its just a bidding war rather then a more human interaction. I don't want to have to become the heaviest spender in the market to get good players. Look at HR for example. The guy bought tremdous talent at minimal fees. Kranjcar for 2.5 million pounds is an absolute steal. I mean that guy easily could go for 20+ mil if he wasn't due out of contract(Circumstance of us getting him for so low). I just want to be able to pull off bargain buys like this in game and I truly don't believe I will cause the comp is going to be stupid in that it won't allow me to sign and at least give them some money or else that player leaves on a free the next season. I guess this ties in with wanting there to be more circumstantial stuff going on in the transfer market which in turn would allow more detail and drama to keep you interested as a player. It seems a bit boring to just outbid everyone and get good players.

agree. like when a player in the game has a contract ending at the end of the season still has a very high price. it should lower as the less months he has left on hes contract.

Looking at who City have signed this summer and how close Kaka was to signing for them before, we can expect them to sign world-beaters as soon as they can offer regular CL participation.

Cesc wouldn't hesitate a second, Gerrard would hestitate longer but even he might go. And if he doesn't then it will be Ribery or Iniesta or whoever else...

I completely understand you and partly agree with you on all points.

What I dont agree on is that its not possible to make bargains.. I have many many times made bargain buys on Fm2009. Its all about timing.. Go for the player when he's unhappy, clubs not performing, short contract etc etc..

Looking at who City have signed this summer and how close Kaka was to signing for them before, we can expect them to sign world-beaters as soon as they can offer regular CL participation.

Cesc wouldn't hesitate a second, Gerrard would hestitate longer but even he might go. And if he doesn't then it will be Ribery or Iniesta or whoever else...

if man city or when man city make it top 4. then thats when the big players will want to come. and with man city they dont care how much they spend. look at lescott £24 million. hes a fantastic player i say about £16 to £18 million. but to get there man they upped there price when every the want to.

Steven Gerrard is not a very loyal player at all. Messi, Giggs/Scholes, Maldini, THEY are loyal players. Even Kaka, he didn't want to leave Milan but he was pushed out so they could pay their debts off; he said a month before the transfer that nothing will make him want to leave Milan.

To say that Terry nearly left is speculation, but one thing that is completely solid is that Gerrard tried to leave Liverpool.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

They were in the Champions League final and he still wanted to leave. No loyalty there.

Exactly my point :) - Players WILL leave their beloved club if the circumstances are right.. TRUE 100% loyalty would be if liverpool got relegated and became a mid-table championship club and Gerrard would stay on, but would he? NO! :D

However look at Juventus, when they got relegated many stars stayed on.. But probably ONLY because they knew they would be promoted right away. I believe many would leave if they missed the promotion.

I completely understand you and partly agree with you on all points.

What I dont agree on is that its not possible to make bargains.. I have many many times made bargain buys on Fm2009. Its all about timing.. Go for the player when he's unhappy, clubs not performing, short contract etc etc..

you can make bargains only when theres a club in debt or young player like 15 or 16. it be good if you can make bargains because of there contract or the manager dont like the player stuff like that.

Iniesta wouldn't leave mate, not a chance.

Steven Gerrard is not a very loyal player at all. Messi, Giggs/Scholes, Maldini, THEY are loyal players. Even Kaka, he didn't want to leave Milan but he was pushed out so they could pay their debts off; he said a month before the transfer that nothing will make him want to leave Milan.

To say that Terry nearly left is speculation, but one thing that is completely solid is that Gerrard tried to leave Liverpool.

They were in the Champions League final and he still wanted to leave. No loyalty there.

maldini yeh if im right chelsea wanted him as a coach but he wanted to stay at milan. kaka said he only leave milan for madrid anyway.

Would Messi, Maldini, Giggs, Scholes be so loyal if their club wasnt a world class club? probably not.. If Messi came through Zaragoza's youth academy and had his unbelievable talent, would he stay with Zaragoza no matter what? Highly doubt it! The reason he is so loyal at Barca is that the club stature fits his talent and he can fulfills his dreams there.. He would probably leave Barca if they went bankrupt and were forced down to Segunda B..

Well what about this year's game. When I finally got CL which was year 2. Players had no interest in coming to spurs no matter if my team was good and I offered amazing money. So I hope it works both ways then that if Aston Villa, Everton, whomever else gets a spot in the CL places they should be able to grab good talent to see them stay there if they can offer the moeny. If it doesn't work like that then the prestige system is all messed up. See I just see a pretty fundamental flaw in that City cause they have a new owner are going to be able to beat out teams like an Everton who may have a CL spot and can offer that CL experience by just offering more money. It's frankly shocking but everyone is right it almost happened for real with 2 massive players in world football with Kaka and JT. Still I think that if your club can offer those funds then you should be able to pick a KAKA or TEVEZ or someone.

Actually I would put this out there in terms of someone should use the editor for Everton or a team that is close to breaking the top 4 and give them a lot of money and see if they can replicate what City have done. Also see if big name players have interest cause if they don't then like I said before the Prestige system is flawed.

you can make bargains only when theres a club in debt or young player like 15 or 16. it be good if you can make bargains because of there contract or the manager dont like the player stuff like that.

But you can.. I've done so a million times on FM2009.. By bargain I dont mean I can sign a £20m player for £1m, but for about half of what he would cost normally..

Would Messi, Maldini, Giggs, Scholes be so loyal if their club wasnt a world class club? probably not.. If Messi came through Zaragoza's youth academy and had his unbelievable talent, would he stay with Zaragoza no matter what? Highly doubt it! The reason he is so loyal at Barca is that the club stature fits his talent and he can fulfills his dreams there.. He would probably leave Barca if they went bankrupt and were forced down to Segunda B..

The reason Messi is so loyal is because Barca paid to treat his hormone problems when he was only 13.

They would NOT be so loyal if their club wasn't world class, but they are more loyal than Gerrard who's head was turned when his club were in the Champions League final. That's the opposite of loyalty, going as high as you can go and still wanting out.

The reason Messi is so loyal is because Barca paid to treat his hormone problems when he was only 13.

They would NOT be so loyal if their club wasn't world class, but they are more loyal than Gerrard who's head was turned when his club were in the Champions League final. That's the opposite of loyalty, going as high as you can go and still wanting out.

In my oppinion loyalty in football is an illusion. Fans of Barca say Iniesta, Xavi, Messi would NEVER leave... I say: they would under the right circumstances (in most cases). I'm a Real Madrid fan and often have thought that Raúl, Guti and Iker would NEVER leave Real. But reality is that if Real didnt qualify for CL for a couple of years I'm 100% certain one or more of the "loyal" players would leave for a CL club. But I wouldnt call it "unloyal" as I can understand that a player wants his ambitions realized and to play with and against the best. So as I said, loyalty is an illusion..

ummm are people forgetting Buffon, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Nedved and Camorenesi? Juve got demoted to Serie B for match fixing, and while they lost a lot of star players these world class players all remained even though most of them aren't young and they knew it meant missing out on a CL spot for at least 2 years.

Never say never in football.

Wouldn't of expected Adebayor, Toure or Tevez to sign for City a year ago even with the millions they had.

They do need to find a middle ground in the game though, but there is definitely no player that is unsellable

Can't argue with that from what has gone on this year in the transfer market. I think it's shocking but I feel the same way in that there needs to be some middle ground. Although in 2 years time City might be the Prem league champs. Who knows. I still feel like a good manager with a good squad is better then an average manager with a world class team.

In my oppinion loyalty in football is an illusion. Fans of Barca say Iniesta, Xavi, Messi would NEVER leave... I say: they would under the right circumstances (in most cases). I'm a Real Madrid fan and often have thought that Raúl, Guti and Iker would NEVER leave Real. But reality is that if Real didnt qualify for CL for a couple of years I'm 100% certain one or more of the "loyal" players would leave for a CL club. But I wouldnt call it "unloyal" as I can understand that a player wants his ambitions realized and to play with and against the best. So as I said, loyalty is an illusion..

Yeah that's sort of right, although I think you've taken it too far.

If your club is world class and you want to leave, you're unloyal.

If your club is world class and you want to stay, you're somewhere in the middle.

If you're a world class player at an average club and you want to stay, then you're loyal but you're also an idiot.

Yeah that's sort of right, although I think you've taken it too far.

If your club is world class and you want to leave, you're unloyal.

If your club is world class and you want to stay, you're somewhere in the middle.

If you're a world class player at an average club and you want to stay, then you're loyal but you're also an idiot.

the truth is mainly every player wants to play the best cups and if your club is not in them then you will 9/10 leave. what if barcelona finished 10th two or three years in a row wud the players stay that be good to see.

Well what about this year's game. When I finally got CL which was year 2. Players had no interest in coming to spurs no matter if my team was good and I offered amazing money. So I hope it works both ways then that if Aston Villa, Everton, whomever else gets a spot in the CL places they should be able to grab good talent to see them stay there if they can offer the moeny. If it doesn't work like that then the prestige system is all messed up. See I just see a pretty fundamental flaw in that City cause they have a new owner are going to be able to beat out teams like an Everton who may have a CL spot and can offer that CL experience by just offering more money. It's frankly shocking but everyone is right it almost happened for real with 2 massive players in world football with Kaka and JT. Still I think that if your club can offer those funds then you should be able to pick a KAKA or TEVEZ or someone.

Actually I would put this out there in terms of someone should use the editor for Everton or a team that is close to breaking the top 4 and give them a lot of money and see if they can replicate what City have done. Also see if big name players have interest cause if they don't then like I said before the Prestige system is flawed.

You are right in saying that it should apply to everyone. If you have won the CL and have loads of cash and you are in a big league then players will love to join your club. Maybe the club reputation system can do with some overhaul. (hope this is part of the polish...)

the truth is mainly every player wants to play the best cups and if your club is not in them then you will 9/10 leave. what if barcelona finished 10th two or three years in a row wud the players stay that be good to see.

Yeah but you see, Gerrard had that same mentality when his club were theoretically one of the best in Europe. And that makes him unloyal.

There are very, very few loyal players left in the world unfortunately. Off the top of my head i can think of Del Piero, Xavi, Ramos maybe, Nesta, Maldini and... thats about it from the big clubs.

Ramos? He left his childhood club to join Real Madrid. Is that loyalty?

The others are loyal, I agree.. But as I've said earlier, would they stay on no matter what? Del Piero has proven that he would stay on even after a relegation.. thats impressive, but very rare

The others are loyal, I agree.. But as I've said earlier, would they stay on no matter what? Del Piero has proven that he would stay on even after a relegation.. thats impressive, but very rare

bit like matt le tissier he stayed at southampton

Yeah but you see, Gerrard had that same mentality when his club were theoretically one of the best in Europe. And that makes him unloyal.

Well not necessarily. He perhaps just wanted a new challenge. Playing for the same club for that many years can get "bored". Just like many people change jobs often. Very few stay in the same job for 30+ years.

Also those very loyal players are top players at the best clubs in the world. They wouldn't have been that loyal if they had happened to be nurtured at Pompey or Bari. Only if you are the best and start playing at the best you can stay forever. On any lower level it would be a great coincidence if the player level and the club level always matched, enabling that partnership to last through a whole career. Can't think of any recent example.

That means that maybe the loyalty of those loyal players is not as big as it seems. They just don't have any reason to move, knowing that they like what they have and that it won't get any better elsewhere.

Also those very loyal players are top players at the best clubs in the world. They wouldn't have been that loyal if they had happened to be nurtured at Pompey or Bari. Only if you are the best and start playing at the best you can stay forever. On any lower level it would be a great coincidence if the player level and the club level always matched, enabling that partnership to last through a whole career. Can't think of any recent example.

That means that maybe the loyalty of those loyal players is not as big as it seems. They just don't have any reason to move, knowing that they like what they have and that it won't get any better elsewhere.

Fully agree!

I sort of agree with the OP and sort of disagree at the same time.

I suppose that means that I am undecided at the moment and will hopefully look to make up my mind as I write down my thoughts.

So first of all, we have to consider what we mean by "unreal signings".

My personal opinion is that this did quite well to bring SWP back and if I am honest I thought at the time he had made a mistake going back and that he would always bee a big fish in a small pond.

All that changed though when they signed Robinho, (which blew my mind).

The signing of Santa Cruz was always to be expected and there was no great surprise there. Where there was surprise though was in the signing of Barry who seemed to be a nailed on new arrival at Anfield. I don't care how much they paid for him. I would suggest that after the sale of Ronaldo to Madrid, this was the biggest signing of the Summer and seems to have gone largely unnoticed by many.

Then we had the guys coming in from Arsenal. Kolo Toure has had issues with Gallas for a while now and Wenger seems to think the sun shines out of Gallas' arris so that can't be a surprise. As for Adebayor, he had to be the most non-Arsenal style player in the Arsenal squad. Wenger seems to really like Bendtner, (whom the jury is still out on) so it's no surprise that Adebayor was off-loaded.

Then we have the one that got away. JT from Chelsea. That this even got as far as it did, (with JT giving it serious consideration), speaks volumes for not only the offer that was on the table, but also the plans that they had in place, (which would be of as much interest to someone like JT). Although I'm not a Chelsea fan, I'm glad that JT didn't go, just as I would hope that StevieG never leaves red Scouseland, (and I'm not a Liverpool fan).

Nabbing Lescott off Everton was quite a coup and there was never any real doubt that he would eventually move.

Last but not least we have the Tevez signing which I find quite amazing. Almost the most amazing of all of them.

To my mind I think this immediately gives Man City the 4th strongest squad in the Premiership, (at least), ahead of Liverpool and I also think possible ahead of Arsenal in terms of depth. Have a look at the squad and you will see what I mean.

GK.

Given

Hart

Taylor

Def.

Lescott

Sylvinho

Bridge

Garrido

Logan

Onuoha

Richards

Toure

Zabaleta

Mid.

Barry

de Jong

Etuhu

Ireland

Johnson

Kimpany

Petrov

Weiss

SWP

Att.

Adebayor

Bellamy

Bojinov

Caicedo

Jo

Mwaruwari (or something)

Robinho

Santa Cruz

Tevez

So I think they have a better squad than Liverpool, (not even close in my opinion), and possibly also a better squad than Arsenal.

So ignoring Fabregas for a second, (who is just biding time before joining Barcelona I think), let's just consider the StevieG situation. There is absolutely no doubt that he really doesn't want to leave, and I'm sure that he would stay at Anfield forever if they were just at least competetive. The problem is that I honestly don;t think they will be competetive this season. They have been unable to replace Sammi Hypia, (who was probably their most important defender other than Carragher). DOn;'t get me wrong he has sever limitations, but the fact remains that in terms of experience, (not to be sniffed at), and the ability to win the ball in the air, (which does seem to be Liverpools achilles heel now), he was one of the better centre-backs in the Premiership. Even if we ignore Benitez's continued infatuatioon with zonal marking, I think there are issues at the back that will see them concede far too many goals in the Premiership, (even with the excellent signing that was Glen Johnson). SO what I am getting at, if you can imagine it for a second, Is Gerrards state of mind 11 months from now when Liverpool have finished behind a top 2 of Man Utd And Chelsea, also behind Arsenal and Man City, (so that's Champions League football gone), but then also possibly behind Spurs & Villa.

Now I will nail my colours to the mast now in that I am a Spurs fan, so conceivalbly can be considered biased in favour of Spurs, (maybe), and possibly against Arsenal, (I'm not). So now lets imagine how StevieG feels when there is now a chance of lining up in a start-studded City team, or trudging on with a Liverpool team who probably have a new manager by now and who seem to just bumble on from calamity to calamity.

While Liverpool continue to finish in the top 4 I don't think there is even a tiny chance of him leaving, As son as they stop being competetive however I think that it might be different.

If I was a betting man I might have had a few quid on StevieG joining man City next Summer.;)

Under these circumstances, (which are certainly not unrealistic), I don't think StevieG leaving would be classed as "unreal" at all.

Just my opinion though.

Archived