Can we have first options back?

I used to love the first option feature. I just read something about Man City asking Barca for first option if Messi ever leaves and was wandering if there were any plans to put it back in the game in the future?

To be fair you hardly hear of it happening, but it could be useful for youngsters. Plus being able to offer a player on loan as part of a transfer would be a good addition too :)

I once had a save with Sporting CP with a friend of mine and we payed £45M to have first option for Ronaldo in 2012 (this was FM 2007 btw)... we never had the chance to get him. FM 2008 was in stores 5 days later.:)

Also, I agree with the OP. This option would be nice mostly to sign yougsters, since it would mean that we'd pay an initial fee and then make another bid in case the player ever wanted out of his club.

Unless you are Real Madrid-like and have tons of money, I'd prefer paying one big value fee rather than two for a player, even if he's one of the best.

It's still in for players at feeder clubs, but I agree that making it an open market would be cool. I'm not sure how it would be implemented.

You offer £1m to have first option for 18 year old player X then a year later the club accepts a £6m bid for him he is offered to you for the same price but if he accepts you the original £1m is taken off the transfer?

Archived